Converting Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Big Bird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Converting Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP

Post by Big Bird »

Good morning everyone,

I just got a call from the boss about a N registered aircraft coming into play. To my understanding I need to do the following:

1. Letter of verification (done thru Oklahoma - how long can this take?)
2. FAA medical (anyone in Mississauga-Toronto)?
3. Conversion test (What study guild is recommended Dauntless or Gliem? Can I do the written in Toronto?
4. Submit paper work thru FSDO (do they issue a ATP stamp immediately)
5. Is a ride required? Where? (CYYZ based)
6. Any nice to know timbits going into this project that get's missed?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for everyone's help.
---------- ADS -----------

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Converting Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP

Post by Whiskey25 »

I'm slowly trying to do the same thing.

You can apply for the Verification Letter using the online form and email it to Oklahoma; definitely speeds up the process significantly.

More good info here:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... =3&t=94860

I have heard Gliem offers an online version of the Study guide, but not 100% sure.

W

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

Gleim offers a good on line study guide. As the FAA inspector who reviewed my application said they always stick in a question or 2 from the regular ATP test bank to keep you honest.
The process when I did mine in February of 2014 was as described, verification letter, medical write exam make appointment. Everything on your TC licence /medical must line up with the Verification letter.
I have been told that a new regulation came into effect regarding the ATP licence in the USA. It requires a course and a minimum amount of 2 crew simulator time to be accredited before you can receive the ATP. I don't know if this applies to the TC/FAA conversion but some colleagues here in the west ran up against a wall when looking at getting their FAA to operate a new company aircraft. Large US built executive jet, 2 crew type rating and the standard training.
Check with the FSDO nearest you to get their take on the new regulation. It applies to anyone who applies for the ATP in the regular way, time, exam ride etc.. It doesn't outline whether this applies to the conversion.

PM me if you like.

Jasper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jasper »

I did it about 18 months ago using the Rochester FSDO and there was no flight test or simulator required. Apply for a Licence Validation online, study for the test. Write it (I did it at a facility in the Toronto area), get your US Medical (Randy Knipping in YYZ but there are many others), head to your predetermined FSDO with all paperwork and logbook. Walk away with US ATP.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Recent discussions by senior Transport representatives at ATAC suggested that the new simulator time and other new requirements is something that will apply to transfer applications. I do not have first hand knowledge of this process though.

StandingBy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by StandingBy »

Converted earlier this year with no check ride. Used the Gliem, as did a few collegues, and sailed through the exam.i spent about 70 hours on the study materials, but I had the time to spare. I think you could pass the exam with much less.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

StandingBy wrote:Converted earlier this year with no check ride.
When earlier this year did you convert? The sim requirements came into effect in July or August I believe.

riaz6668
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by riaz6668 »

Hey spoke to my FAA guy who converted my TC CPL to FAA....i am not in the process of converting my TC ATPL to FAA ATP, his words were "at this time, there has been no changes for the one to one conversion from Transport Canada to FAA"

Gleim's hands down is the best as well!

Good luck!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I thought I should update this as two of our pilots just returned.
The new conversion test will not be out until sometime in February, so conversion, at this time is not available as far as we can tell.
I will be contacting Oklahoma about it on Monday and if there is a change will post

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I think you'll have a bit of a problem. I did mine about a year ago. I went in again to add a type rating and the person working at the FSDO mentioned that I was lucky I did it when I did because the new regs came into play July 31st.

Theres a box at the bottom that must be checked now that says "ATP CTP Graduation Certificate"

The application form is here http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 1-2014.pdf

She told me this is a requirement and Canadians are only able to get a commercial at this time unless they have this course.

Last edited by Stinky on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Here's a quick idea of the course you need. Someone posted a comment at the bottom wondering if there was a loophole using a Canadian ATP and the response was no.

http://www.airlinepilotinfo.com/how-reg ... uirements/

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

That is not my understanding...but rather than toss out something unstantiated, I will be talking with Oklahoma on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday in the US), and ask for written clarification. Will post the response.

Accident speculation:
ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

I spoke with an FAA inspector at the sim recently. His take on the changes from August first is that the transfer/conversion program was finished and anyone wanting an FAA ATP would require the course and simulator hours. H e seemed to think if you already had sim training for a type rating that would suffice.
I don't know if this is the new rule or just his take from his FSDO,( Rochester, N.Y. ).

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I spoke with the FAA in Oklahoma this morning. The conversion as it was is done.
The FAA website is not up to date.

To convert now is a major task. 10 hours of sim in an over 40000# sim, though you might be able to use your latest sim check...no one really knows. At this time there are only five conversion centers offering the course.

the changes all took effect August 1, although I personally got mine converted after that time.

But as of right now the previous exam has been cancelled at all the test centers,
The Gleim course is absolutely of no value now.

If you are in the process, please feel free to call the FAA and voice your displeasure.
Their toll free number in Oklahoma is 866 878 2498.

Accident speculation:
Combine Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Combine Pilot »

After getting bounced around the FAA Airman Certification office for a week or so, I finally got ahold of an examiner to explain the new rules.

In Short, to convert a Canadian ATPL to an FAA ATPL is $5000.00 USD($6000 cad), by the New ATP CTP course offered at one of these five training centers:
1. Embry Riddle Florida, - $5000
2. ABX Air , Ohio - $4500
3. CAE Simuflight, ?
4. ExpressJet - $5000
5. AeroSim $ 5000

The new ATP CTP course must be done PRIOR to writing the new knowledge exam. The old knowledge exam was test Code ACP which has now been changed to the new ACM test this month.

The problem with this, is that I already have 6500 hrs, in addition to experience on everything from a Cessna Citation to the Boeing 777.I also have almost 400 hours of Level D sim time. I've written the Airman Certification branch a long letter explaining the new requirements are grossly unjustified, and completely unobtainable for someone with my experience wanting to convert under the Reciprocal FAA/TC Agreement.

if ANYONE has a better idea, or a cheaper approach please contact me.

If you are interested in paying the $5000.00Us,($6000 cad) here is From AeroSim: Here is the total Course:
Aerosim ATP CTP

Program Description
◾4 day/30 hours of Academic Training
◾3 days/10 hours of Simulator Training
◾4 Hours Level 4 FSTD
◾6 Hours Full Motion Flight Simulator
◾ATP Knowledge test included
◾$4,995-7 day program
◾Offered at the Aerosim Training Center in Orlando, Florida

The ATP Certificate Training is the starting point in the process of becoming Airline Transport Pilot certified. Aerosim provides a wide range of advanced equipment and expert services designed to meet your training needs.

In compliance with new FAA regulations set on August 1, 2014 this 7-day course consists of 4 days/30 hours of academic training, followed by 3 days/10 hours of simulator training. Academic Training content includes:
◾High altitude aerodynamics and maneuvering
◾Airplane weather detection systems
◾Advanced physiology/fitness for flight
◾Multi-crew communication training
◾Multi-crew environment checklist usage
◾Low-visibility operations
◾Advanced navigation concepts unique to air carrier operations
◾Air carrier safety culture to include safety programs used to enhance air carrier safety, which include: ◾ASAP- Aviation Safety Action Program
◾FOQA- Flight Operational Quality Assurance
◾LOSA- Line Operations Safety Audits
◾ASRA- Aviation Safety Reporting System

Aerosim's ATP CTP Simulator Training content will train participants in these areas:
◾Navigation
◾Automation
◾Runway safety
◾High alt. Operations
◾Low energy states
◾Upset prevention & recovery

If you have any questions or would like additional information please call 404-202-8865 or email trainingsolutions@aerosim.com.

rico-db9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rico-db9 »

I just had a conversation with licensing at Transport Canada.

I informed them of this roadblock the FAA has thrown up to essentially block Canadian ATPL holders from converting to FAA ATP. They are aware of it as well as the Ottawa folks.

I expressed my DEEP concern about this is completely unfair and is an obstructionist policy imposed by the FAA.

It is now required that ATPL holders take a USD$5,000 course (plus a flight and week in a hotel) which totals likely close to a US$10,000 fee in front of Canadian flyers while US ATP holders merely have to come to Canada and write a $100 test.

WHAT A RIP!!!

The lady at Transport Canada suggested that US... ALL OF US... Need to get off out asses and write a letter into Transport objecting to this roadblock thrown up by the FAA.

Canada should be exempt from this stupid certificate. We have enjoyed free trade in aviation since long before the free trade agreements even existed. It was one unique area that was open. NOW THIS!!!

The squeaky wheel folks.

Stand by for an email address and or fax number and send in a NICELY worded complaint.

R

Teamflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Teamflyer »

Any update to this process? Does the TC/FAA circular still in effect? What's the process like to convert TC CPL to FAA CPL and TC ATPL to FAA ATPL these days?

johngalt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by johngalt »

What is the latest on this? Still have to do the $5k course etc?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I was at CAE in Dallas back in July and asked this question and they confirmed that it is still a requirement to do the sim training in a 2 crew >40,000lb aircraft.

johngalt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by johngalt »

So as I understand it if you get the right job you can bypass the need for this course?

Return to “General Comments”