Hello all, I bought an airplane recently, it's a piper Cherokee 150, had a pre purchase inspection done, was told all looked good, bought it, had a few snags repaired, anyway I was just looking through the logs (note: this is my first aircraft and I didn't know much on how to read the logs before buying) I had only ever seen a Journey log during flight training) I notice that there is a 3 year 165 hour gap missing in the Airframe/Engine/propeller log, everything matches up to that point in all 4 logs then the owner at that time simply stopped doing anything but the Journey log, the Journey log is complete to current time with all AD's and routine maintenance, this is also a pile of AME stickers in the front of my Journey log, matching the ones stuck in the Journey log, presumably the owner did not have the logs with him when he brought it to the shop and never updated the technical Logs.
So what do I do now? The shop that did the annual and pre purchase for me put there signed sticker in all 4 logs but the previous page is from 3 years and 165 hours earlier....what do I do? Just carry on?
Thanks Avcanada.
Missed Airframe/Engine/propeller logbook entries?
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
-
iflyforpie
- Top Poster

- Posts: 8132
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
- Location: Winterfell...
Re: Missed Airframe/Engine/propeller logbook entries?
Unfortunately... the only thing you can do is burn the books and the aircraft along with it. Transport Canada will not tolerate such an abomination.
Normally... tech log entries have to be done within 30 days of Journey Log entries.. but even that doesn't prevent problems.. as a plane I was working on did a prop strike far away within a few days of me working on it and the owner had never got the tech logs to me (but brought them with him to the location of the aircraft so the engine and prop could be sent out) thus leaving me with an out-of-sequence entry.
I just put that... Entry out of sequence.. work done at date XX/XX/XXXX, time XXXX... Its not your fault.. but the info has to be in there and hopefully in a fashion that other people can follow.
Normally... tech log entries have to be done within 30 days of Journey Log entries.. but even that doesn't prevent problems.. as a plane I was working on did a prop strike far away within a few days of me working on it and the owner had never got the tech logs to me (but brought them with him to the location of the aircraft so the engine and prop could be sent out) thus leaving me with an out-of-sequence entry.
I just put that... Entry out of sequence.. work done at date XX/XX/XXXX, time XXXX... Its not your fault.. but the info has to be in there and hopefully in a fashion that other people can follow.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Re: Missed Airframe/Engine/propeller logbook entries?
That's a lot of missed entries. May i suggest talking to the ame who put the sticker in and see if he can x out and e.i.e. the sticker, you do all the entries and then he can put a new sticker. Either way, the ame probably should have noticed the inconsistencies.
Re: Missed Airframe/Engine/propeller logbook entries?
That's what I was thinking, I wish he would have left a few blank pages so I could have copied it all over from the journey logHeliian wrote:That's a lot of missed entries. May i suggest talking to the ame who put the sticker in and see if he can x out and e.i.e. the sticker, you do all the entries and then he can put a new sticker. Either way, the ame probably should have noticed the inconsistencies.
Re: Missed Airframe/Engine/propeller logbook entries?
Ben,
This is not the end of the world. The whole aircraft is on conditions anyway. It is only a few things like Mags, which actually have an hourly requirement for hard maintenance. Most everything else is on condition. Even TC does not care that much, unless it appears that someone is actually trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes.
Do not do anything which obliterates or makes illegible any previous entry.
Thereafter, do the most logical thing you can think to do, which most accurately conveys the "missed" information, and makes the numbers most correct. At the end of the day, if the log reconnects the relevant history of the aircraft, it is serving it's purpose. TC is not interested in picking a fight with someone who is obviously trying to do it right.
Hold your breath while you read this, but it's not out of the question that you phone up your local TC Inspector, and seek advice. My experience has always been that they are very helpful and understanding, when they are talking to someone who is trying to do the best thing.... Once you have spoken with the inspector, and presuming an answer which you find palatable, I'd follow that up with an email, and retain the reply.
Don't do nothing, but don't sweat this either....
This is not the end of the world. The whole aircraft is on conditions anyway. It is only a few things like Mags, which actually have an hourly requirement for hard maintenance. Most everything else is on condition. Even TC does not care that much, unless it appears that someone is actually trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes.
Do not do anything which obliterates or makes illegible any previous entry.
Thereafter, do the most logical thing you can think to do, which most accurately conveys the "missed" information, and makes the numbers most correct. At the end of the day, if the log reconnects the relevant history of the aircraft, it is serving it's purpose. TC is not interested in picking a fight with someone who is obviously trying to do it right.
Hold your breath while you read this, but it's not out of the question that you phone up your local TC Inspector, and seek advice. My experience has always been that they are very helpful and understanding, when they are talking to someone who is trying to do the best thing.... Once you have spoken with the inspector, and presuming an answer which you find palatable, I'd follow that up with an email, and retain the reply.
Don't do nothing, but don't sweat this either....

