Low-timer Road Trip

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Low-timer Road Trip

Post by upintheair_ »

yeah phoning will really not do much. Just show up. It shows initiative and that's how you'll land your first job. I am pretty introverted so doing just that was hard but after a few of them it wasn't a big deal anymore. Smile, shake hands and move to the next town. Follow up a week later or so and just keep at it.

I am in the same boat as above... did my road trip in April with 215 hours. Found a job in June and now have 450TT and growing quickly.
---------- ADS -----------

Qfly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Qfly »

Thanks a lot guys!
Little confidence boost I needed. Although the phone calls werent completely useless, I did find out what one CP likes in his coffee :smt040

alexnz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alexnz »

GD or any others who have done this road trip in recent years, are you able to PM me? Looking for a bit of advice

spkg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by spkg »

Is it too late in the year to do a road trip?

I am fresh out of flight school 200TT MEIFR, I had originally planned to finished my CPL next spring, but there was an opening in NWO a contact told me about, so I did 40 hours and three flight tests in a month but the job didn't pan out.

I will be doing a mini road trip up to where my contact is, he said he could put me in touch with his CP and some of his contacts that operates there, so I'm thinking of dropping in on some operators alone the way and in the area anyways.

With operations winding down in general this time of the year, is it even worth doing a full blown month long road trip? I have a pretty good job right now at YYZ, but I don't want to waste half a year and let my flying skills rot. I am however more than happy doing ground handling over the winter and spring if that means I have a better chance to fly come next year.

Is there a big different between 200TT and 250TT other than the IATRA? Is flying that extra 50 hours on my own dime going to give me any kind of edge come spring?

Would a float rating be worth it if I only end up with 7 hours on floats? Are float operator's expecting new pilots to flying 50 hours of floats on the own before even considering them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Employment Forum”