Converting Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Converting Canadian ATPL to FAA ATP

Post by Panama Jack »

rico-db9 wrote:I just had a conversation with licensing at Transport Canada.

I informed them of this roadblock the FAA has thrown up to essentially block Canadian ATPL holders from converting to FAA ATP. They are aware of it as well as the Ottawa folks.

I expressed my DEEP concern about this is completely unfair and is an obstructionist policy imposed by the FAA.

It is now required that ATPL holders take a USD$5,000 course (plus a flight and week in a hotel) which totals likely close to a US$10,000 fee in front of Canadian flyers while US ATP holders merely have to come to Canada and write a $100 test.

WHAT A RIP!!!

The lady at Transport Canada suggested that US... ALL OF US... Need to get off out asses and write a letter into Transport objecting to this roadblock thrown up by the FAA.

Canada should be exempt from this stupid certificate. We have enjoyed free trade in aviation since long before the free trade agreements even existed. It was one unique area that was open. NOW THIS!!!

The squeaky wheel folks.

Stand by for an email address and or fax number and send in a NICELY worded complaint.

R

I feel your pain, however, it is not a practice by the FAA specifically directed at Canadian applicants. It is a requirement for all FAA ATP applicants. Yes, I know it is unfortunate and, as always, those who beat the deadline won (grandfathering is a beautiful thing in aviation).

Good luck trying to get the FAA to change it. If they did, it would leave a backdoor open for all FAA Commercial Pilots to go convert their qualifications to the Canadian equivalent, write a couple of written exams, and come back with a Canadian ATP to convert to an FAA one, thereby circumventing the objective of the regulatory changes the FAA imposed.

I am not saying that I agree with the FAA requirement. It just is what it is. Heck, a few years ago a Transport Canada official was musing that Canada needs to require that all ATP applicants do a checkride in a 2-crew aircraft (essentially, a Type Rating) to keep Canada's ATP in-line with ICAO standards.
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

johngalt wrote:So as I understand it if you get the right job you can bypass the need for this course?
If you mean by "right job" you mean only needs a CPL, then yes

johngalt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by johngalt »

was thinking there might be two options for me.

first one is to go through this conversion process and pay for the 5k training

another option seems to be to convert my license to the FAA CPL. Write the conversion test. Then go write the FAA ATP tests. I see horizon just wants a guy to have his ATP test written for their first office position. So would I be correct in assuming their training program would allow me to get the FAA ATP?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Even if you convert to CPL first, you can't sit the exams until you've done the sim course.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Some companies are offering to pay for the course for you. Here's one:

http://www.flycommutair.com/#!pilots/c1nnf

gyqapilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gyqapilot »

This is horse shit!. The government lets mexicans fly for sunwing too. I'm going to my local mp with this.

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

guys; check out the FAA website. effective last year august 1 2014 ( been there, done that), the exam changed as far as qualifications to write it. you need an FAA approved facility to take ground school and Type C or D sim time. you can then take that $7000 dollar piece of paper and go and write your exam. true story. I was one week short of writing it. had to settle for FAA commercial/IFR.
look up FAA-ATP-CTP. Gleim is definitely and asset and Dr. Knipping is the go to guy.
hope this helps. Also the FAA states as Embry riddle is one of the certificate holders that can issue the ground school. that is wrong. I already checked into it. you need to be a student there.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

gyqapilot wrote:This is horse shit!. The government lets mexicans fly for sunwing too. I'm going to my local mp with this.
Ummmmm, say again, you're coming in ignorant.

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

cdnpilot77 wrote:Even if you convert to CPL first, you can't sit the exams until you've done the sim course.

no that's incorrect. you can get private, commercial and Instrument. already did it

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

cdnpilot77 .... yes you can obtain your commercial/instrument without the hoopla. it is strictly the ATP that is causing the problem

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

We were talking about ATP not private, not commercial, not IR, ATP......that's what the thread is about. I say again, you cannot sit the ATP exam without this course....even if you convert to the CPL first, which is what someone earlier suggested.

Return to “General Comments”