Suncor flight dept shutting down?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Suncor flight dept shutting down?

Post by oldtimer »

I wonder if liability has anything to do with this. In the eyes of tort lawers, maybe Suncor is an oil company with deep pockets as opposed to an airline.
Just a thought.
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

Good, an Oil company has no business running an airline. They sub out everything else including there own employees, why would they want to mess with aviation? Not in there area of expertise, go drill a well...

"I need a time machine"
Confliction
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Confliction »

Haha sound bitter you didn't get hired once upon a time.

Ex99guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ex99guy »

Prodriver wrote:Good, an Oil company has no business running an airline. They sub out everything else including there own employees, why would they want to mess with aviation? Not in there area of expertise, go drill a well...
Go kick rocks prodriver.

If this turns out to be true, good luck to all the Suncor crew. Sad to see another great aviation gig being lost to the bean counters.

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

Ops, that came out a little harsh, I hope it is not true, and I know it is hard on the staff, Sorry. But in reality they don't own there own drilling rigs so why would they want to own AC. The movement of people will not change, they will just be hauled by a contractor, opportunity for the large charter companies, airlines etc. I would bet it is an exposure issue and they will have the ability to bid the shit out of those flights/seats. They are a very well run company.

"I need a time machine"
loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

In reality do you think Suncor would announce that it's shutting down and risk losing its employees in the process? Or just say everything is fine until one day when the barricades block entry to your work place? That's how Shell shut down. "Everything is fine" until the day when everyone lost their jobs.

Would WJ consider interviewing/employing these Suncor crews that may be losing their jobs?

I keep hearing both stories; one where the employees are being told the department is NOT shutting down, and another one where it's being shut down Jan 9th.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

With 5T being a private company you sure know a lot about their financial health. 5T has 3 Oil companies under contract and other upcoming charter obligations. BTW the codeshare agreement is working as intended so far.

Any more insight?

Well now aren't we defensive.. Charter "obligations" indeed, does not mean anything else. Private company, well let's see, the other companies in your little group are all highly dependant on the mighty tar sands also. Me thinks the mothership is hurting and, sorry to say, it won't get any better in the near future. It is no secret 5T likes to spend money like they are rockstars. But you aren't. Have fun.

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

Writing was on the wall when Shell shut down.

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

Suncor got into the CRJ operation in 2006 because the local charter providers couldn't and wouldn't commit aircraft to the various projects. Suncor as other oil companies run a fly in fly out schedule. It has to be run to accommodate the operation not an airlines schedule. This was the main reason that the company went from small Corporate jets running back and forth to CYMM to CRJ's running to CFG6.
A number of the current and former pilots had and have airline experience. The CRJ operation is run along airline standards and then you get exactly what you want and when you want it, not when some dispatcher,charter coordinator or marketing person says you can have the airplane. That is the reason for the the department exists.

Confliction
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Confliction »

Donald wrote:Good luck to the crews of Suncor, word is that the flight department will be shut down on Jan 9.

Bird is the word.

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

Confliction wrote:
Donald wrote:Good luck to the crews of Suncor, word is that the flight department will be shut down on Jan 9.

Bird is the word.

So does this mean it's closed?

GearUp13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GearUp13 »

Roger

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

well, they're still flying!

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

"jetsun cleared to the calgary international via center stored> climb and maintain flt level 210 expect higher 10min after departure" sounds like*regular day to old n cold

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

That's why I asked. Saw the CRJ taxi by Monday.

tx'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tx'd »

YVRLTN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YVRLTN »

WS have been operating ex YVR for a couple of months via YLW to Firebag. A -700 at lunchtime, off the top of my head 2-3 times a week and a Q400 in the evening. They go from the south terminal, and ironically ground handling is done by Air North.

The CR2 C-GSUW went back to Avmax in March and is now C-FPOI and operating for R1 still in Suncor colors, showed up at YVR a few times on the fishing charters. Not sure about the -900's but heard they are already back in YMX.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Please read the news release. Suncor's 890's are flying until early November.

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

The CRJ-900's are Suncor assets, while they may pass through YMX. There is no need for them to go there they are not leased aircraft. All are configured differently and I can guess homes for all three based on current fleets and several operators.

Return to “General Comments”