Wasaya caravan missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

TheFrankestFrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Wasaya caravan missing

Post by TheFrankestFrank »

If memory serves me one is suppose to reduce the MTOW on the C208 for icing conditions as well, at least that was the requirement before they came out with all the fancy new icing add-ons for the aircraft. Wasaya does have an SMS program so I imagine they covered their asses by documenting a risk assessment for not doing the upgrades, developed strategies and additional training for things they were going to do to minimize the risks. Seasonal reminder and or training of pilots and managers about reducing payload as per the POH, increased weather minima for aircraft dispatch. I'm sure there are lots of smart people on here that could come up with other things to reduce the exposure to risk of operating an aircraft not equipped to operate in icing conditions.
---------- ADS -----------

ShayneHirter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShayneHirter »

oldncold wrote:Posted many times on Ce208 vans in ice but will attempt to reiterate> oldn cold rule for icing 5 knots decrease in airspeed
LEAVE ALTITUDE IMMEDIATELY. EXIT STAGE OR LEFT RIGHT ANY FRICKN WAY YOU CAN.
there is a very common thread in all the 208 van accidents over many years and this may or may not be borne out in the investigation. which is lack of ifr currency,Ce208 they haul a good pay load but operators in my exp. always cringed at giving up paid cargo for fuel . IN NWO true alternates are still solid 1hr flying time plus approach and then 45 min reserve about 500 extra pounds . so the trips went vfr or didn't go . only thing I can suggest is if you fly a ce 208 vfr a lot and have a flight sim of some type, use it to practice the ifr currency for days like that, its better to do safe turnaround ifr then do an approach

rip nick met you once 2 years ago you on the pc 12 you were doing a charter my since condolences to the family ,

I don't remember anyone asking you for your advice on what you would do. No one knows exactly what happened so why don't you stop arm chair piloting and keep your amazing advice to yourself. Maybe if you were teaching someone to fly a caravan, then you can let them know about your advice. How would you like it if you crashed and died and I came on here and said OHHH MANNN I TOLd YOU INCREASE YOUR SPEED OR EXIT STAGE LEFT BLAH BLAH. The reality is we lost our friend and everyone on here who is saying what they would have done in that situation is just inconsiderate.

JMACK
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JMACK »

Shayne I am sorry for your loss! Below are just my thoughts on being a former Caravan pilot.

I read someone suggesting to firewall the engine in an attempt to get out of a bad situation.

That advice may not be all that bad, for all 208 drivers out there now. A former colleague of mine had an FCU go full wide open on his Caravan he was just South of North Bay. He took advantage of all that power and climbed up to 11000 or 12000 feet can't quite remember, then he shut it down and glided toward the Bay, Realising he was coming up short he restarted the engine and put some more potential energy in the bank and finished his glide into North Bay! This was many moons ago as he is now a 767 Skipper at United so you know it's been awhile. The take away for me was how tough the PT6 and Prop combo were, they did not fail operating WIDE OPEN. A fact which I found comforting as a Caravan pilot.

Above is an anecdote on how tough the engine gear box and prop on the 208 are, that is all.

This accident, horrible for friends and family! My sincere condolences, but an amazing effort by the SAR techs getting on site. Quit is not a word they know!

J

Last edited by JMACK on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Could have been icing, could have been low vis and CFIT, could have been an engine failure. Bottom line is, based on the weather, he shouldn't have been out flying in the first place. But Wasaya, like any other operator of their calibre, doesn't make money running their freight around IFR... and the kids need their pop and chips you know. :roll:

Nothing will change. This accident, like the accident before it, will soon be forgotten and we'll be reading about the next one sooner or later. Sad but true. And you can play the blame game all you want, but the fact of the matter is this pilot, like the ones before them have no one to blame but themselves. To think this poor fellow died trying to get a few groceries up North is just maddening. But of course, no one ever thinks it will happen to them.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

JMACK wrote:Shayne I am sorry for your loss! Below are just my thoughts on being a former Caravan pilot.

I read someone suggesting to firewall the engine in an attempt to get out of a bad situation.

That advice may not be all that bad, a colleague of mine had an FCU go full wide open on his Caravan he was just South of North Bay. He took advantage of all that power and climbed up to 11000 or 12000 feet can't quite remember, then he shut it down and glided toward the Bay, Realising he was coming up short he restarted the engine and put some more potential energy in the bank and finished his glide into North Bay! This was many moons ago as he is now a 767 Skipper at United so you know it's been awhile. The take away for me was how tough the PT6 and Prop combo were, they did not fail operating WIDE OPEN.

So if I was stuck with a load of ice on my Caravan I think max power "fire wall" if you will, would definitely be an option.

This accident, horrible for friends and family! My sincere condolences, but an amazing effort by the SAR techs getting on site. Quit is not a word they know!

J

Unbelievable! The guy just blatantly says its not the time to give our 20/20 hindsight "what I would have done" and you acknowledge that, then go on to tell him what you would have done.

Maybe he did have the thing fire walled, nobody knows anything at this point. Implying that this poor young man didnt use all of his available tools or his IFR was rusty or its his own fault for getting himself into this situation is disgusting and DISRESPECTFUL, while we sit in our warm houses or workplaces, alive.

Show some respect.

FlyingMonkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingMonkey »

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for judging and lecturing a fallen pilot's decisions when none of you were there and truly know what happened. There are so many arm chair pilots on this site who swiftly jump on any opportunity to try and show their "superior" intelligence and pilot decision making when something tragic like this happens. It's gutless and beyond disrespectful.

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

Wait for the TSB report is the best thing to do. First reports on here were the aircraft landed on a lake intact / pilot ok and then we get a photo of the aircraft crippled and in the woods and pilot not ok. People just looking for attention by making false reports such as those.
FlyingMonkey wrote:You should all be ashamed of yourselves for judging and lecturing a fallen pilot's decisions when none of you were there and truly know what happened. There are so many arm chair pilots on this site who swiftly jump on any opportunity to try and show their "superior" intelligence and pilot decision making when something tragic like this happens. It's gutless and beyond disrespectful.

D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

nottellin wrote: Unbelievable! The guy just blatantly says its not the time to give our 20/20 hindsight "what I would have done" and you acknowledge that, then go on to tell him what you would have done.

Maybe he did have the thing fire walled, nobody knows anything at this point. Implying that this poor young man didnt use all of his available tools or his IFR was rusty or its his own fault for getting himself into this situation is disgusting and DISRESPECTFUL, while we sit in our warm houses or workplaces, alive.

Show some respect.
This kind of stuff has to stop. We have no idea what happened. For all we know, he could have ingested a bird and that caused an engine failure. Or there could have been contamination in the fuel. Its easy to speculate and fill in the blanks to come up with a theory.
Now, step back for a minute, put your self in his wife's shoes. They just got married in July, both are 29 years old. Now she has to lay her best friend and husband to rest. Show some compassion people. It could have happened to anyone one of us!

There is a place that if you would like to make a donation to Nick's family, it would be greatly appreciated.
Nick's wife Kaila thoughts are "Instead of sending flowers that can only last so long, please put the money you would towards this....Nick would be so proud...Love You my Nicky."
https://www.gofundme.com/vyfqqnw8

RIP Nick :(

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

If I am ever in an accident you guys have my permission to speculate and post about all possible causes and scenarios you want. I find these threads helpful and we don't talk about this stuff in real life as much as we should. We are all drawn to threads like this by a desire to learn, and prevent the same thing happening to us.
I've known some of the pilots and companies involved in these accident threads and its easy to think posters are judging the dead or the companies involved....but its not.
Currently we have a 6 page thread on winter ops, Northern ops, icing, special vfr, caravans, weight and balance, ect.... its a damn shame the events that have brought us to this page, but I don't agree with the posters asking for a "cone of silence" out of respect for the families, or asking to wait a year until the report comes out.
The Bearskin Metro speculation thread was 8 pages long and had 23,000 views, First Air has 73,000 views and 488 posts. I didn't agree with all the posts, but I certainly don't think reading them, contributing to the discussion was time wasted or does anyone a disservice.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Agree WB02, I am sure if commentary crosses a certain line the moderators would lock the thread(as they have done in the past) and/or pass out a warning to the offenders. I have no knowledge of Caravan operations and nil flying experience in that neck of the country, my 8000+ hrs is mostly twin turbine of the BE kind so tis obvious I won't comment on this accident. I am sure operators of all companies associated with aviation(as well as their mgt levels) know of this site and take a peep, perhaps some are " common taters", who knows. I bet if posts are slanderous and of gross mis-representation of the known facts, it would be pointed out by said operators requesting some redress which is fair in my view. Just my opinion.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

whistlerboy02 wrote: Currently we have a 6 page thread on winter ops, Northern ops, icing, special vfr, caravans, weight and balance, ect.... its a damn shame the events that have brought us to this page, but I don't agree with the posters asking for a "cone of silence" out of respect for the families, or asking to wait a year until the report comes out.
The Bearskin Metro speculation thread was 8 pages long and had 23,000 views, First Air has 73,000 views and 488 posts. I didn't agree with all the posts, but I certainly don't think reading them, contributing to the discussion was time wasted or does anyone a disservice.

I am happy with all the information I got directly and indirectly on this forum, the conversations do bring out interesting insights and experiences from other pilots, personally it helped me a lot at some point, in certain companies there are less and less pilots with significant experience to coach the new ones, this forum is probably the last place where you can find the help and question yourself appropriately when you need it.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

From this thread, and the Kasper one, it has come out that a lot of pilots think VFR at less than 300 feet is acceptable. This is not true. If we can open just one persons eyes before they end up dead, these threads are worth it.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

I am an amateur.
I have flown the area in summer and fall, though I do not know it well from the air.
I make no judgements about the pilot but the weather looks like "Go to the bar time"

Flying from Gimli to Red Lake, on the east side of Lake Winnipeg it was OVC 1000, Red Lake reporting 1500. 50 km further on the cloud has dropped to 800 and it appears to be lower ahead.

In my mind 800 feet - 500ft to stay legal from the cloud,, - 200 feet for some tower not on the chart = 100 feet of leeway. And what if the cloud drops both in front and behind? I'm not that good a pilot. I turned around (went to Berens instead) and after we returned to base I was allowed to take the plane without an instructor because "I showed good judgement".

No matter what the forecast says the actual weather can be very different.

IMHO
LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Let me correct something for you Lousy Fisherman, you ARE A GOOD PILOT because you decided to turn around and not push weather. No matter how much experience you have turning around when the ceiling goes down is a good decision.

Lloyd YWG FIC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lloyd YWG FIC »

Over the years I've often included a cautionary warning when briefing pilots flying in lower stratusy conditions. Quite often there is some freezing precip hanging just below the cloud deck that is not reported on any METAR or in the forecasts. The only reason I've learned of this stuff is because pilots have told me about it. With low ceilings this becomes even more of a problem.

Lloyd (retired now so don't bother calling my manager NavCanada monitor)

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Lloyd wrote: Lloyd (retired now so don't bother calling my manager NavCanada monitor)
:smt040 :smt040 :smt040

Last edited by Bede on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I've seen lots of times in western Saskatchewan, Cessna 206s and 172s coming out of Fort Mac making it into IFR only airports VFR because they remained 'out of cloud'. Meanwhile all the honest pilots are in the missed.

Common northern practice, and one I never partook in, but got reamed out for, because 'you know, there was a 172 that made it in there 5 minutes after you. Why couldn't you make it in?'

That being said, this situation, based on the active weather that day, likely iced up the airframe beyond its abilities. Whether or not he was IFR is irrelevant. We've all been there, that one day you are a little more tired, a little more distracted or maybe a little more motivated to get the job done. Most make it out alive with a story and that invaluable experience.

Some, like Capt. Little, do not.

Ontario has been particularly nasty for freezing rain, drizzle and fog this year, and some companies and pilots choose to not respect the incredibly large archilles heel of the Cessna 208.

Stay safe guys and gals.

S.

AWOS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AWOS »

Lloyd YWG FIC wrote:Over the years I've often included a cautionary warning when briefing pilots flying in lower stratusy conditions. Quite often there is some freezing precip hanging just below the cloud deck that is not reported on any METAR or in the forecasts. The only reason I've learned of this stuff is because pilots have told me about it. With low ceilings this becomes even more of a problem.

Lloyd (retired now so don't bother calling my manager NavCanada monitor)

Weather briefings just aren't the same without you, Lloyd.

Walter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Walter »

In a perfect world someone would acknowledge the root cause of this and most of the other wasaya accidents and then a governing body would actually do something about it. But that's in a perfect world.
My condolences to the family.

TheFrankestFrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheFrankestFrank »

Walter that’s a pretty inflammatory statement seems to me you’re implying you know there’s an unaddressed underlying issue. Have you ever submitted an SMS hazard report to bring attention to the concern? If not in this day and age you’re part of the problem.

I think one of the most risky things companies like Wasaya do is run its operation across three different CAR’s categories, 703, 704 and 705 using the lowest legal standard for aircraft dispatch, that being a type “C” pilot self dispatch system.

Show me a company that operates anything using the minimum standards and requirements and I’ll show you a company that has a high tolerance for risk.

The law says under a Type “C” dispatch system operational control is delegated to the pilot-in-command by the operations manager, however it also says the operations manager retains responsibility for the day-to-day conduct of flight operations.

In many cases this practice translates into the pilot taking on the entire weight of all decisions relating to a flight or series of flights. Right or wrong many pilots will take the position that this is the way it should be, pilot has final say. What they often miss is somebody else is there to assist them; they’re not on an island. The system is suppose to provide somebody who is responsible to provide operational over-sight, somebody who’s responsibility it is to step in and provide guidance when safety of flight is questionable. Operation managers typically have a host of other operational personnel at their disposal that have relative information. Chief pilot(s) that have current knowledge of the pilot’s time on type, schedule and strengths and weaknesses. Flight followers that track weather, runway and NOTAM information and at the local level a Base Manager who’s job it is to manage and maintain the safety of all employees working at the base. Base Managers play a role in maintaining the big picture at the base, who’s looking a little tired, who’s looking a little stressed, who’s rushing and maybe taking shortcuts. The Base Manager is the often the operations manager or chief pilots eyes and ears.

In operations like Wasaya the day-to-day conduct of flight operations, the conduct that the operations manager is responsible for often becomes the financial aspects of the flight, it doesn’t come from a safety of flight perspective. It becomes more about where your going and why did you do it that way, statements like “ it was more efficient to go to A, B and C instead of B, A and C” or “We would have made more money if you did this instead of that”. The lines get blurred and the operation manager becomes the defacto general manager, straying from his TC job description, financial matters take precedence instead of his safety of flight responsibilities.

The long and the short of it, type “C” dispatch has no place in operations the size and scope of operations like Wasaya. The organization and business decision model is all wrong and flawed. The minimum standard should be a type “B” co-authority dispatch to ensure the pilot has appropriate operational and dispatch support. I’m not saying the pilot should not have the final go-no-go decision that should and must be left with the PIC. I’m saying the pilot should not be placed on an island and have all the responsibility placed on him/her when there is a host of other company personnel that have a responsibility to ensure the company operates with safety at the forefront of the collective minds.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”