Malaysia’s First ‘Islam Compliant’ Airline, Rayani Air.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Malaysia’s First ‘Islam Compliant’ Airline, Rayani Air.

Post by jschnurr »

Muslim prayers are recited before flights, there is no alcohol or pork served on board and the Muslim women flight attendants adhere to a modest dress code.
http://www.ibtimes.com/malaysias-first- ... er-2238883

Good for them. If they have the capability to start an airline to follow their religious beliefs, more power to them - this is better than western society bending over backward to accommodate people who have difficulty integrating into our society.
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Malaysia’s First ‘Islam Compliant’ Airline, Rayani Air.

Post by xsbank »

"Cleared for the approach, Inshallah!"

You should try flying around the Middle East a bit.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

jschnurr wrote:
Muslim prayers are recited before flights, there is no alcohol or pork served on board and the Muslim women flight attendants adhere to a modest dress code.
...and on OUR airlines, passengers are wished "safe travels" by their loved ones, there are no rat-meat sandwiches served on board and the flight attendants aren't topless.

It's a matter of degrees, but these are all for exactly the same reasons.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Hmmm

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

The Airline was started by a Hindu couple who saw an opportunity to make money off their Muslim countrymen.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

helicopterray wrote:The Airline was started by a Hindu couple who saw an opportunity to make money off their Muslim countrymen.
Good on them. We need more people willing to exploit niche markets here to help grow our economy.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

I would rather fly in an Airbus that has reverted to alternate law behind a couple 250h 2nd officers than ride in an aircraft who s pilots believe they have god on their side.

Not to say that that is never the case on any airline but if there is any truth in advertising there s a better chance of it on this one.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Makes me think of some ex-students who rather prayed to God to do a succesful navigation flight instead of actually preparing their navigation and measuring stuff on the map :D

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

no rat-meat sandwiches served on board and the flight attendants aren't topless.
I might be interested in a rat sandwich served by a topless flight attendant. I would prefer a female flight attendant but a male one would be ok.
But the rat sandwich had better be good. (god willing).

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I'm sure it all comes down to how spicy the sauce is and whether the lettuce is fresh.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Just a bit of a thread drift then I'll get back on course.

One of my flying instructors by the name of Buck ****** did a stint teaching N.A.T.O. students at Moose Jaw back in the latter 1950's. He ended up with a number of Turkish trainees. One day, they are flying around in the Harvard when the aircraft was put into an unusual attitude. The Turk freaks out and throws his hands in the air and says “Allah has control”. Buck grab the control stick and screamed at him “@#$! Allah, Buck has control!” Needless to say the student was taken off the course the same day.

Cheers...Chris

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Whenever I hear the various iterations of that story - and I've heard a lot of them, and oddly, none of them first hand - I always wonder how much truth there is in them, if any. (No disrespect intended, Moose47)
But then again, Carrie Underwood wouldn’t have done so well in that flight school either.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

GyvAir wrote:Whenever I hear the various iterations of that story - and I've heard a lot of them, and oddly, none of them first hand - I always wonder how much truth there is in them, if any. (No disrespect intended, Moose47)
But then again, Carrie Underwood wouldn’t have done so well in that flight school either.
Like this airliner accident where one pilot just prayed instead of doing anything?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -jail.html

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

There will always be the extreme cases, I guess.
The often repeated but in slightly differing circumstances story I’m referring to generally involves one pilot verbally and physically outright relinquishing control of the aircraft to fate and Allah the second things turn a little hairy, whereupon the other pilot, a la Buck, takes control and flies the plane on to the safe landing.
It’s probably happened somewhere, sometime to someone, but I don’t think half the pilots I’ve had beers with have a buddy that it’s happened to. The story just has that distinct tone of urban legend to it anymore.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I've heard 9 million iterations of that same story as well - from kids on Glider courses to NFTC flying.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I actually heard that in at least one such case, maybe more, Allah actually refused to help with tragic consequences obviously, and was later quoted as saying "I help those who help themselves. It says right in there. I don't know why some people don't remember that part".

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Meatservo wrote:"I help those who help themselves. It says right in there. I don't know why some people don't remember that part".
Reminds me of the old joke:

A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

It's an interesting thing how different people have such differing reactions to the combination of faith and being in a life and death tight spot. Sully sullenberger (of Hudson River landing fame) is aperently a believer, but also it would seem a pretty smart thinking pilot. His actions contrast dramatically with the "it must be gods will" fatalism in other cases.
I'd much rather fly with an atheist. I think a consistent fear of death motivates things like adherence to SOP and checklist use.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I just wish that instead of worrying about freedom of religion, we concentrated more on the importance of freedom FROM religion.

Good thing Canada isn't inviting tons of people with rigid religious beliefs inside her borders, of a religion that isn't particularly compatible with the ones the founders of the country had...because that could cause problems! Sure glad THAT isn't happening. :cry:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

complexintentions wrote:I just wish that instead of worrying about freedom of religion, we concentrated more on the importance of freedom FROM religion.

Good thing Canada isn't inviting tons of people with rigid religious beliefs inside her borders, of a religion that isn't particularly compatible with the ones the founders of the country had...because that could cause problems! Sure glad THAT isn't happening. :cry:
Yah good thing. Bad thing is that idiots like you bleat about things you don't have a clue about. You've bought in to the mass media bigotry and ignorance. Pathetic. You may want to read up on the secular nature of our prescribed rights and laws before you make such a near sighted comment again. You may also want to research the actions of maniacs of other religions including Christianity based faiths. Start with the Crusades. And while you're at it, look in to Abrahamic religions. You'll find that Islam isn't as far off the tenants of the old testament as you may think.

And no...I'm not Muslim, not that there would be anything wrong with that.

Return to “General Comments”