Operating on skis from lakes within city limits

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

V1VRV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Operating on skis from lakes within city limits

Post by V1VRV2 »

Hello

Has anyone operated on skis from a lake within city limits? outside of controlled airspace?
Are there any special rules , reg’s ?
I would of course stay away from built up areas, but for the approach and T/O I would be fairly close to houses.

Thanks for the replies,
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Operating on skis from lakes within city limits

Post by photofly »

602.13(1) will apply. TC will probably take a fairly stringent approach over what constitutes "built-up" if it's within city limits.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
V1VRV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1VRV2 »

Hi
I had a look at this it's pretty vague
I Gus's a call to transport i.e. Open the can of worms is next.
On another note it's really no different than on floats as I see it float planes operate on the same lake during summer so ... I guess I'll ask
Thanks for the comment

V1VRV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1VRV2 »

Hi i believe its a public lake. Also my understanding is that all bodies of water except provincial or federal parks in Nova Scotia at least are designated aerodrome an old law I think. I’ll have to check with float guys who use them regularly on that. Hence the jurisdiction is on the Federal side, I’m just trying to be safe rather than sorry at this point I’d much rather have some ammunition before I call transport :)

Thanks for the help.

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

As far as the approach goes, I don't know. But for use of the lake, look into which jurisdiction controls the surface. In some places the shoreline(for example, a dock attached to the bank) is controlled by the city, while the lake itself is federal or provincial.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”