Cessna 208 - Engine Failure in KingFisher

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Beech Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cessna 208 - Engine Failure in KingFisher

Post by Beech Driver »

I saw that this has not been posted yet

http://tinyurl.com/zetsjoh

TSB#A15C0166: The North Star Air Ltd Cessna Caravan 208B, registration C-FIXS, was departing Kingfisher Lake, ON (CNM5) for Pickle Lake, ON (CYPL) with only the pilot on board. During the takeoff run on Runway 12 at approximately 60 to 70 knots, the pilot noticed the torque gauge was only indicating 1000 ft-lbs and that the oil pressure had decreased below the yellow arc. The takeoff was rejected and the aircraft came to a stop at the threshold of Runway 30. The engine (Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-114A) subsequently failed prior to the pilot securing the engine. The engine could not be restarted and the aircraft was towed off the runway. The fuel control unit (FCU) was found to be malfunctioning and was sent to an overhaul service provider for further testing.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Beech Driver on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Engine Failure

Post by goingnowherefast »

That's a stroke of luck! Best place for engines to fail is on the ground at slow speed.

Confliction
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Cessna 208 - Engine Failure in KingFisher

Post by Confliction »

Good eye on the gauges..

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I wonder if the engine guage was checked to a change in sound or decrease in acceleration rate or just checked. Whatever the reason, a good outcome for all.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

If the prop maintained its RPM - and it probably did - there wouldn't be a significant change in engine noise. 1000 ft-lb however, is about half of your T/O power, so thats definitely something one would notice.

Regardless, good on them for catching it.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

He also would have gotten a low oil pressure CAS message once the oil pressure decreased below the yellow. That being said if you're at 1000lbs of torque, your acceleration would be... Well... Poor. Good job on the reject, caravans glide like washing machines when the stove goes.

E

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

They glide better than some things..supercubs and washing machines. Can't think of much else.

Anyone else wonder how the fcu failure caused low oil pressure? I hope they didn't hook on a new fcu and send him back out :shock:

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Ng really low? I'm guessing he saw the torque as it was falling past 1000lbs, the FCU had already mostly quit and the compressor was maybe 20-40%? Thus the oil pump spinning too slow as well. FCUs run mostly on PFM, but who knows what sort of fuel delivery it's causing while failing and various pressures within the engine are doing weird things due to the initial problem.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

KUDOS' TO CREW if he gotten airborne them juniper are :smt003 hard this time of year

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yeah- some on here will jump all over you for saying "Kudos to the crew", but I echo the sentiment. We all know there are boobs out there who would shave tried to get it into the air. I say well done, too.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”