Voyageur Airways King Air tow bar left attached

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Voyageur Airways King Air tow bar left attached

Post by NickyNick »

Aren't we flight crews suppose to be professional on the job? A quick final walk-around before door closed with a flashlight is to much for a professional pilot to do if there are no ramp personel? Public hearing about things like this must make them wonder how some ever got a pilots license.

Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:

2016-03-07

Narrative:

A Voyageur Airways Beech B200 (C-GYSC / VAL791) from Moncton, NB (CYQM) to Bathurst, NB (CZBF) conducted a missed approach and declared an emergency with CL controller. Aircraft indicated he had a rudder problem and requested a clearance back to Moncton with emergency response services (ERS) to be ready. Aircraft landed without further incident at 0448z. Joint rescue coordination centre (JRCC) Halifax advised.

O.P.I.:

Further Action Required:

No

Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:

2016-03-07

Narrative:

Update 198192-V2 - Aircraft landed without further incident at 0448Z. After exiting runway aircraft stopped due to tow bar still attached to nose gear.

O.P.I.:

Further Action Required:

No

Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:

2016-03-08

Narrative:

UPDATE: TSB#A16A0022: C-GYSC, a Voyageur Airways Beech B200 aircraft, was operating as flight VAL791 from Moncton/Greater Moncton Intl, NB (CYQM) to Bathurst, NB (CZBF). On approach to Bathurst, the crew noted stiffness in the right rudder pedal. The crew decided to conduct a missed approach, declared an emergency and returned to Moncton. The aircraft landed safely in Moncton with ARFF on standby. During the landing, the crew noted a slight noise from the nose-wheel area. The aircraft was shut down after taxiing off the active runway and upon exiting the aircraft, the crew noted that the tow bar had been left attached to the nose landing gear and that there was damage to the landing gear doors. The nose gear doors and nose gear assembly will be replaced.

O.P.I.:

Further Action Required:

No
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Voyageur Airways King Air tow bar left attached

Post by JasonE »

At least on a single engine, the prop will let you know before you take off :)

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Hard to believe they didn't have a red handle for that trip!

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Maybe they dont have 4000+hrs of mostly PIC, and they were fatigued, and one thought the other checked, and so on....

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I always would put my map over the attitude indicator to remind to take off the tow bar.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I always do a quick walk in front of the plane before I hop in. Look at fuel caps, pitot covers, engine plugs, tow bars, etc.

However only NickyNick is perfect, everybody else makes mistakes. This one just happens to cost a bit of money, and be rather embarrassing.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I attempted a takeoff with the pitot tube covers covered, back in the day. Actually my first flight after September 11th, and I felt distracted by those events because it was like 2 or 3 days after and I was kinda 50/50 that the world was ending. Anyway. The pax weren't pleased when I rejected at 70 knots. I told them it was a nose baggage indication and I got out and stuffed the covers in my pocket and said "I reset the circuit breaker" and we went on our way. I swear I thought I removed them during my walkaround but clearly I didn't, so I get it - It can happen if you aren't vigilant enough.

I'm sorry that this crew will likely wear the embarrassment of this for a while, but there's nothing like aviation to humble a person...

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

JasonE wrote:At least on a single engine, the prop will let you know before you take off :)
Not always!

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Meddler »

"Make sure that suckers on good, we have 700 miles to go."

This gives me more faith in the integrity of be20 landing gear systems at least..

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by beaverpuq »

I might be more concerned over the look of the belly of this 172? That's a lot of oil and other black stuff.

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

"Aren't we flight crews suppose to be professional on the job? A quick final walk-around before door closed with a flashlight is to much for a professional pilot to do if there are no ramp personel? Public hearing about things like this must make them wonder how some ever got a pilots license."

Well this'll probably get me banned but what the hell, it's a slow news day and I'm in a bit of a mood so...

This flight crew made an honest to goodness mistake, albeit a costly one. Odds are either one or both of them are looking for work now so how about until such a day you can lay claim to being perfect you go on ahead and enjoy a healthy cup of shut the @#$! up with your morning bowl of asshole flakes, mkay? I bet you're a real treat to fly with, no wonder you can't seem to get a job.

Ban away.

-Toeless

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Toeless,

I call shenanigans.
Regardless of how the tow bar was left in, responsibility for said mistake needs to be addressed. Whether it's getting shit canned, or retraining, something needs to be corrected in the culture.

I was checking out a new guy in the '99 and tried my best to instill the urgency of getting off the ground in a timely fashion. I told the brand new PIC to close up the back, (cargo) and I'll grab the pod and nose doors and meet you up front.
I was right seat, and he climbed in using the ladder. I made sure he grabbed it. All was great. We started up and tookoff on time. Landed on time, all was still great.
Until we landed, and I opened up the cargo door. Every single box that was was loaded in the front section (should have been closed and secured in that section) was at my eye level in the back.
If we were carrying more than the 400lbs, that load shift could have very well killed us.

I chewed the guy's ass out for rushing and not securing the cargo. However it was me that caused it. I fostered a "hurry up we need to go" mentality. I was at fault for not instilling an atmosphere, ensuring proper procedures need to be accomplished before departure time. Regardless if it's on time.

I have no doubt the same "attitude" was present in this case.

The take away: even the most junior person can step up and ask, "do you want me to remove the tow bar?"

Fostering that kind of atmosphere is what a professional pilot should be doing.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

Nark wrote:Toeless,

I call shenanigans.
Regardless of how the tow bar was left in, responsibility for said mistake needs to be addressed. Whether it's getting shit canned, or retraining, something needs to be corrected in the culture.

I was checking out a new guy in the '99 and tried my best to instill the urgency of getting off the ground in a timely fashion. I told the brand new PIC to close up the back, (cargo) and I'll grab the pod and nose doors and meet you up front.
I was right seat, and he climbed in using the ladder. I made sure he grabbed it. All was great. We started up and tookoff on time. Landed on time, all was still great.
Until we landed, and I opened up the cargo door. Every single box that was was loaded in the front section (should have been closed and secured in that section) was at my eye level in the back.
If we were carrying more than the 400lbs, that load shift could have very well killed us.

I chewed the guy's ass out for rushing and not securing the cargo. However it was me that caused it. I fostered a "hurry up we need to go" mentality. I was at fault for not instilling an atmosphere, ensuring proper procedures need to be accomplished before departure time. Regardless if it's on time.

I have no doubt the same "attitude" was present in this case.

The take away: even the most junior person can step up and ask, "do you want me to remove the tow bar?"

Fostering that kind of atmosphere is what a professional pilot should be doing.
I'm not looking to make excuses for the flight crew; they effed up and either will have to or already have had to pay the piper. My issue is
with the dipshit poster and his holier than tho attitude. The lesson to be learned here is a fairly obvious one and can be easily discerned minus the condescending smugness from some basement dwelling little peckerhead whose only contribution thus far to aviation seems to be that of checklist reader. I think the other lesson to be taken away from this post is that any a$$hole with a keyboard can be an aviation expert nowadays.

And Nark, good on you for admitting you've once made a mistake that very well could have killed you. Seriously, this forum would be a much better place to visit if others such as this Nicky Nick person could leave their God complex at the door. PM me sometime and i'll give you a list of my sins (there have been many) :lol: .

Cheers,

Toeless.

Last edited by toelessjoe on Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

That must have been a pretty good tow-bar. I don't trust the stupid thing to stay attached on the ground half the time.

Bent wrench
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bent wrench »

This is absolutely hilarious. it's pretty easy to tell if the tow bar is off before leaving. Did they start both engines with the tents on too?

IF IT AIN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT!
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Hilarious. really?

A damaged plane that the company will have to pay to repair, or pay the insurance deductable...how funny is that.

Pax confidence in the company damaged as a result of this incident...heck, that is funny too, right?
After all the pilots can just go on to other jobs .

And the danger that the bar posed if it had partially come off and swung into a prop?
That would have been hilarious too. Or maybe hit the ground first on the landing.

Not to mention the chuckles from not doing a proper walk around, following SOPs, or using a checklist..
Gut splitting.

This was a big error, that fortunately had a fixable, no one hurt conclusion.

I suppose some will see those things as funny. And celebrate this error as a learning experience

Get sloppy on your duties and responsabilities, and eventually the holes in the swiss cheese line up...

But funny...no

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Not even a little bit funny? Like 5%?

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Saw a 172 do a circuit with a concrete block still tied to the tail tie down! He said, "It didn't handle real well...." NSS!
I've got away with stuff prior to social media......or I would have been roasted once a week here.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I've got away with stuff prior to social media......or I would have been roasted once a week here.
Illya
Lol...so true for all us old guys..

Now lets get back to the lynching,.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Interesting comments. Where do we draw the line? Or is there a line to draw?

There have been many discussions about accidents and who or what is to blame and they're all the same. Some people say blame the pilots and some say that anyone can make a mistake. But others will say no one should ever (since they never have) land gear up. Or no one should ever enter a compromised runway since they never have. Or no one should ever do whatever.

So it seems we all pick and choose when to be judgemental and when not to be. Calling each other names like school kids doesn't help. Let's all just read the threads and take away what we want from them - either reminders that any one of us can make a mistake if we don't consistently guard against it or confirmation that we are guarding against it well as we haven't had any such incident.

I sure wish that the bickering and name calling would diminish though.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”