What kind of watch do you wear?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What kind of watch do you wear?

Post by AirSprint HR »

Mapleflt wrote:Maybe Airsprint could make one of these beauties a signing bonus, very cool. Please tell me I'm not the only one that remembers this badboys.

Mapleflt

I've never seen a Jetall before. Real or ...?

AirSprint doesn't provide watches for joining, but we do give them as 10 year service awards. Specifically, the Tissot T-Touch models like...

http://us.tissotshop.com/tissot-t-touch ... rtz-7.html
Tissot.jpg
Tissot.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 4404 times
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by AirSprint HR on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Dockjock wrote:
This is such a "let me demonstrate my watch knowledge" anecdote, and is not true although it sounds like it could be. Sort of an attempt at reverse snobbery? Many high-end mechanical watches will be a 'certified chronometer'. Rolex and Breitling both qualify and are accurate to within I believe -4/+6 seconds per day. If your Breitling isn't accurate it probably needs service (every 5-7 yrs).

Certified chronometer wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC
-4/+6s per day is now accurate?! That's a full minute every week and a half. Nope. It'll stay in the case when I fly. I don't want to have to set the time every day.

Going for the deck at corner
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

And if you don't wear it for a couple days it stops! Mon dieu. Love the cool watches fellas, you know who you are.

Hmm, no Timex in this list. Strange...http://gearpatrol.com/2014/08/19/iconic ... in-movies/

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:
Ki-ll wrote:
NunavutPA-12 wrote: -4 to +6 seconds a day? My cheap Timex keeps better time than that, and is now on its second battery in 12 years. Service not required - just throw it away and buy a new one. Not as pretty as some, but who notices watches, and why would that be important to you anyway?
Quartz watches keeps time more precisely than a mechanical watch, however making a mechanical watch with mentioned precision is not as easy as you might think, partly that's why they cost so much.
Okay, I get it. REAL pilots wear expensive watches that are difficult to put together and don't keep time very well. Hmmm ....
If you want precise time it is on your phone or even more precise on your GPS receiver in the airplane. A good quality watch is more than a time piece, I am not sure what that has to do with real pilots.

Wheels
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wheels »

Titanium, Solar Tissot touch is a great aviators watch that won't break the bank compared to the German brand. I've read that people have had problems with them but I've had a touch for 5 years and it's never let me down. The red backlighting, compass, altimeter and dual time zone are nice features. It also has a timer, stopwatch and alarm. Light as a feather.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I wear a Bulova Precisionist. Style and accuracy.... and it doesn't look like a pilots watch. The Wakman on the dash is the only mechanical clock I use.... it gets wound and set before each flight... the accuracy is acceptable.

Swiss watches are just price begetting exclusivity. They are expensive curiosities and artworks, not practical tools. The Japanese quartz watches nearly wiped them out until they figured out how to market obsolescence.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

A bit of a controversial piece (cause they took metal from the titanic to build part of it). I recently saw my friend was wearing this, although he is only flys here and there privately I did think it was funny his watch was worth more then what he spend on his private and multi IFR........

behold,

Captain S itmagnet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain S itmagnet »

26 years of trouble free service. Two scheduled tune ups since new and it runs better than I do

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.83 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

Trintec Zulu-01 GMT I bought from VIP a few years ago for $150. I like the easy to read numbers and GMT function. Trintec have been great to deal with. The battery died within the 1st year so they replaced it for free. The rubber watch strap keeper loops started to crack after 3 years and Trintec offered to send me a replacement rubber strap. I asked if there were other options because I didn't want the same thing to happen again, plus the rubber strap is a magnet for dust and dirt. They sent me a free nylon replacement strap. I also have a Tag that I've owned since 1998. It has been bulletproof but not as suitable for flying because there aren't any numbers on it, only lines.

Attachments
trintecwatch.jpg
trintecwatch.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
trin.jpg
trin.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

I might need this Trintec "watch" when I get older :P