ATPL Application process tips

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

notpaying
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ATPL Application process tips

Post by notpaying »

any news on the 1:1 rule?
---------- ADS -----------

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Still waiting.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Anybody else having a problem with viewing the ATPL application form from Transport. I have the newest version of Adobe viewer and it still says I have to upgrade. I don't have any problems viewing the aviation booklet application. Just wondering if anybody's also having this problem.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

I had the same issue but specifically with Chrome. Didn't bother to download an extension but safari worked fine along with explorer. TC also has these forms when you make an appointment.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Thanks Oxi, switching over to Explorer solved the issue.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Deleted

skyler090
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skyler090 »

Thx ctm, I have another question regarding the atpl application that you may be able to answer, or anyone for that matter. The "75 Instrument hours" has caused a bit of confusion. I have gotten several different answers from several different people. I know my best bet would be to talk to TC, but as it is a Sunday and i thought I may as well see what avcanada has to say. Are these 75 hours "IMC" hours? Can an instructor log time teaching a student IFR or ex#24 when it is VMC out towards these 75 hours?

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

No, the instrument time is only flight in IMC on an IFR flight plan.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Chaxterium wrote:Yes; provided that it was logged in the pursuit of a higher licence. As an example your dual time from your PPL and CPL days is good, but dual time logged while getting checked out at the local flying club is not.
Ref please

If it's in your log book, it counts toward your total time doesn't it?

JP

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Outlaw58 wrote:
Chaxterium wrote:Yes; provided that it was logged in the pursuit of a higher licence. As an example your dual time from your PPL and CPL days is good, but dual time logged while getting checked out at the local flying club is not.
Ref please

JP
Yes it counts towards your total time.

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Oxi wrote:
Outlaw58 wrote:
Ref please

JP
Yes it counts towards your total time.

+1

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Here's the latest processing times that I experienced for Prairie and Northern Region.

- Applied at 1548 hrs (all sub-requirements well exceeded except TT as you can see).

- Application sent from Northern Alberta 5 Oct 15 direct to Winnipeg Office (express with tracking)
- Application received 7 Oct 15
- Cheque cashed 9 Oct 15
- Date of Issue on sticker 2 Nov 15
- Sticker received in Northern Alberta today, 12 Nov 15.

Viper32
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Viper32 »

Went through Toronto Transport Canada Office for ATPL application process
I called the office and asked to speak to appropriate person for any questions i had regarding the application
I sent it off on a monday, by monday week i had logbook back in the mail and Wednesday ATPL sticker arrived in the mail.
Overall dealings with Toronto Transport Canada for anything has been alot more efficient than Prairies Region Office.
This is basing on the fact i now live in Ontario, but used to live Manitoba dealt alot with Prairies Region Office also.

A few things i has to verify were the validity of ATPL exams since i had a type rating on DHC8, which response was (the exams remain valid as long as your type rating on two crew required machine eg: DHC8 remains valid and since my last IFR ride was done in a Level C sim it was also acceptable).
Another point was logging co-pilot time on a BE20 and counting it towards the overall required time since its now 1 - 1 rather than 50%, the response was (you can only count that time if the operator you are flying for requires that two crew be flown on that aircraft type for the flights you are doing, since BE20 is a single pilot aircraft).

Luckily enough the company i flew for did require two crew to be flown on the BE20 for charter and medevac operations. They requested you have a letter stating that from chief pilot or operations manager of the company included in the application.

Overall just follow the guidelines on the application form and as mentioned above call transport canada and ask to speak to someone who deals with atpl aeroplane applications and fire off the questions, it definitely helped.

Good luck to all

Deadlift
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deadlift »

Ok so I applied for my ATPL back in the spring. I met all the requirements, however I was one day over the date of my last IFR flight test and my application was denied because of that. I was told by the inspector must complete a ride before January 2016 or my exams expire even though I have done a PPC in the previous 24 months which I thought locked the exams in for life? Also with the new IPC rules do I still even need to complete an IFR ride within the last 12 months in order to meet the application requirements? I'm trying to determine this before I go and book a ride in an aircraft (our company only uses sims) and shell out a bunch of dough if I don't have to. Anyone have any insight regarding these changes?

TIA

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Greetings all. Sorry If I may sound a bit ignorant in regards to this subject. Now I know TC has changed a dump-load of regulations in recent months. I finally decided to look step by step into the few logbooks I have. I had a question in regards to the process in general.

I've unfortunately jumped from place to place. So my logbook includes a variety of experience ranging from contracts, aircraft rentals and various operators. The issue is that some of the places either don't exist anymore / changed ownership etc. And some flights I have done recently at a certain school doesn't seem to keep track of the plane rentals. Do you guys see where I'm heading?

Yes...the infamous word = certified hours...or certified logbook. As quoted in the previous paragraph, some of this certification will be close to impossible to certify.

What are the processes that TC goes through to validate logbook? Do they call all these places? Do I have to myself board a TIMEMACHINE and track down all these and force some of those flightschools to certify hours?

Great help would be needed. Thanks!

IgnitionArmed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IgnitionArmed »

Deadlift wrote:Ok so I applied for my ATPL back in the spring. I met all the requirements, however I was one day over the date of my last IFR flight test and my application was denied because of that. I was told by the inspector must complete a ride before January 2016 or my exams expire even though I have done a PPC in the previous 24 months which I thought locked the exams in for life? Also with the new IPC rules do I still even need to complete an IFR ride within the last 12 months in order to meet the application requirements? I'm trying to determine this before I go and book a ride in an aircraft (our company only uses sims) and shell out a bunch of dough if I don't have to. Anyone have any insight regarding these changes?

TIA

I have the same question. With IFR renewals not being a thing anymore as long as you're current, do they only want a copy of your latest ppc? They haven't changed the wording in the CARS. Also I haven't seen one of those PPC forms lately either, do they still have a "Renew IFR" bubble?

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JAHinYYC »

ctmorawetz wrote:
Co-pilot vs Dual on the application form
Your times are divided into three categories on the application form: PIC, Co-pilot and PICUS (PIC under supervision). Anything that you were not PIC for, is to be listed under the Co-pilot category, whether it's dual time or co-pilot time. This only applies for your Instrument time. Your total day/night time does not require you to put in dual time, as long as you are over 1500 hours total time.
Could anyone help with a CARs reference to re-enforce the point above that Dual Night (single) counts towards the 100hrs total night?

The Winnipeg Licensing office is challenging me on this as I have 96hrs PIC night between and 7.1hrs dual. I thought I was over the 100hr threshold.

Help

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

JAHinYYC wrote:
ctmorawetz wrote:
Co-pilot vs Dual on the application form
Your times are divided into three categories on the application form: PIC, Co-pilot and PICUS (PIC under supervision). Anything that you were not PIC for, is to be listed under the Co-pilot category, whether it's dual time or co-pilot time. This only applies for your Instrument time. Your total day/night time does not require you to put in dual time, as long as you are over 1500 hours total time.
Could anyone help with a CARs reference to re-enforce the point above that Dual Night (single) counts towards the 100hrs total night?

The Winnipeg Licensing office is challenging me on this as I have 96hrs PIC night between and 7.1hrs dual. I thought I was over the 100hr threshold.

Help
It doesn't, you need 100 PIC night.

How much time was there between submitting the application and them contacting you that there was an issue ?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JAHinYYC »

digits_ wrote:
JAHinYYC wrote:
ctmorawetz wrote:
How much time was there between submitting the application and them contacting you that there was an issue ?
Seven weeks.

In on Feb 4 and I got the call last week.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Clearly says 100 hours PIC.

Return to “Flight Training”