Simulator test?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Simulator test?

Post by rspencer38 »

Just reading about the hiring process and someone mentioned a simulator test. Is this new? I never had to complete any simulator test and I am currently in the pool for IFR.
---------- ADS -----------

chobs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Simulator test?

Post by chobs »

From what I gather, the simulator test was part of what the applicants who went through the referral process were judged on. I know in my final interview I got to try some things on the simulator, but it wasn't graded or part of the evaluation process.

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ProfessionalATC »

From what I understand its part of the referral system and it is the only test that candidates in the referral system will have to do. From what i heard it seems to be pretty easy. Candidates under this system seem to almost be a shoe in to enter the pool, they don't have to do the online test, nor the in person assessment , nor the phone interview.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

ProfessionalATC wrote:From what I understand its part of the referral system and it is the only test that candidates in the referral system will have to do. From what i heard it seems to be pretty easy. Candidates under this system seem to almost be a shoe in to enter the pool, they don't have to do the online test, nor the in person assessment , nor the phone interview.
It's my understanding that they do have to do the written testing. It would be a bit difficult to rank people in a pool if you have no idea of their aptitude. A referral as I seem to recall got you straight to the in person assessment.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

It really does seem like referrals have a much better shot at getting into the training pool.

Also, it would have been cool to try out the simulator!

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

kevenv wrote:
ProfessionalATC wrote:From what I understand its part of the referral system and it is the only test that candidates in the referral system will have to do. From what i heard it seems to be pretty easy. Candidates under this system seem to almost be a shoe in to enter the pool, they don't have to do the online test, nor the in person assessment , nor the phone interview.
It's my understanding that they do have to do the written testing. It would be a bit difficult to rank people in a pool if you have no idea of their aptitude. A referral as I seem to recall got you straight to the in person assessment.
Where does the simulator test fit in then if they have to do the in person test as well?

I was also told that if they fail the simulator test only then would they be required to apply via the normal process and do the in person test but I could be wrong. I guess we have to wait until more information comes out on this.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

There is an assessment, simulation exercise and an in-person interview.

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Braun wrote:There is an assessment, simulation exercise and an in-person interview.

OK.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

ProfessionalATC wrote:
Braun wrote:There is an assessment, simulation exercise and an in-person interview.

OK.
I'm not sure if a referral candidate can reapply via the normal process after failing a referral process. I'll get back to you.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

The simulator test is irrelevant to VFR and FSS so I'm not sure why there seems to be so much focus on it as the means of selecting referrals for the 3 streams.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

When did this referral system come in?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

rspencer38 wrote:When did this referral system come in?
a few months ago

Cujo3398
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cujo3398 »

It's an in person test followed by a simulator run (which is pretty well described in another tread). If you score well enough on those two, you may get an in person interview. If you fail out at any point the usual reapply process happens. 1 yr from date entire process over etc etc. you only get one shot at a referral

Return to “ATS Question Forum”