Take Charge site glitch - candidate photo

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

paq09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Take Charge site glitch - candidate photo

Post by paq09 »

I have run into a weird situation and am wondering if anyone else has also run into this. I cleared into the YYZ IFR candidate pool last August and have been waiting for the call to a course since then. After fruitlessly checking the Take Charge site for changes over the months, I decided maybe I should post a better photo than the quick snap I had posted initially (which was actually the second photo I had uploaded in the first couple weeks in the pool). Stupid thing to do as it turned out. When I deleted my old one, the system wouldn't take a new upload! More specifically, it said it accepted it (got the "upload accepted" message) but no photo actually appeared in photo spot. And when I backed out to my candidate profile and/or status page the "you need to upload a photo" message still appeared.

I contacted the recruiting desk but she said there was nothing wrong with the system and nothing she could do for me. After a number of further attempts over a few weeks she did say to send her the jpeg file and she would add it to my candidate file (presumably an offline file??). Anyway, this has been the situation for a few months now. I try again every few weeks, sometimes using different browsers, different photos, even different computers (Mac/PC); but nothing has worked.

My concern is that the folks who select people for courses may see my blank photo page and without knowing the back-story will conclude "this is a guy who can't follow instructions" and so decide against inviting me. It is beyond frustrating to think I may not get in due to some stupid glitch like this. And yes, I know I should not have messed with the photo in the first place, but it did work once before (in first weeks in the pool). If nothing else, perhaps others will be deterred from doing the same stupid thing.

If someone else had this problem and got it resolved, I'd love to hear how.
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Take Charge site glitch - candidate photo

Post by kevenv »

paq09 wrote:I have run into a weird situation and am wondering if anyone else has also run into this. I cleared into the YYZ IFR candidate pool last August and have been waiting for the call to a course since then. After fruitlessly checking the Take Charge site for changes over the months, I decided maybe I should post a better photo than the quick snap I had posted initially (which was actually the second photo I had uploaded in the first couple weeks in the pool). Stupid thing to do as it turned out. When I deleted my old one, the system wouldn't take a new upload! More specifically, it said it accepted it (got the "upload accepted" message) but no photo actually appeared in photo spot. And when I backed out to my candidate profile and/or status page the "you need to upload a photo" message still appeared.

I contacted the recruiting desk but she said there was nothing wrong with the system and nothing she could do for me. After a number of further attempts over a few weeks she did say to send her the jpeg file and she would add it to my candidate file (presumably an offline file??). Anyway, this has been the situation for a few months now. I try again every few weeks, sometimes using different browsers, different photos, even different computers (Mac/PC); but nothing has worked.

My concern is that the folks who select people for courses may see my blank photo page and without knowing the back-story will conclude "this is a guy who can't follow instructions" and so decide against inviting me. It is beyond frustrating to think I may not get in due to some stupid glitch like this. And yes, I know I should not have messed with the photo in the first place, but it did work once before (in first weeks in the pool). If nothing else, perhaps others will be deterred from doing the same stupid thing.

If someone else had this problem and got it resolved, I'd love to hear how.
I think you're stressing over nothing. Do you really believe that after the tests, interviews and being ranked and placed in the IFR pool that the company will say "no photo, no course"? Seriously?

navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by navcanhopeful »

Someone can correct me if They have better info than me. But I'm pretty confident it would have 0% impact on you being selected for training. Especially after you've spoken with them directly. Nothing you look like will have anything to do with being able to do the job and they are believers in that. Unfortunately the YYZ area is super saturated with candidates and employee transfers so it's quite stagnant.

paq09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paq09 »

I hope you're both right that it is nothing to worry about. But who knows what slight things can make the difference between choosing one candidate over another similar? Anyway, I guess the waiting is getting to me.

That's bad news to hear YYZ is saturated. Bummer! ... Strange to hear though when there is actually a posting for a qualified VFR ATC for YYZ on the NavCan website.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Pearson is in need of extra staff, but so are other towers. There is limited room on each course due to space in the classroom and simulator. It would be fruitless trying to cram as many candidates onto a course as there were successful applicants because there just wouldn't be room to teach them all, even if there was the need for them once they've completed the course.
The idea of posting a job application for Pearson is the idea that someone who already holds an ATC Tower licence will go there without requiring a place on the basic course first.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

RexKrammer wrote:The idea of posting a job application for Pearson is the idea that someone who already holds an ATC Tower licence will go there without requiring a place on the basic course first.
Not quite. This program allows any controller from anywhere, including an ACC (with no tower training) to bid on a transfer to that particular tower. If they do not have a basic tower course they will be given one. Keep in mind that not all towers are "complex towers" and do not have a separate course outside of the basic one.

Edited to add: My bad, I didn't see the job listing on the take charge site. Apologies to Rex.

Last edited by kevenv on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheSealRimRady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSealRimRady »

Just confirming what kevenev and navcanhopeful have said.

I didn't upload a photo until about a week before my course started. If you get placed on a course, and are still encountering the error, I'd inquire before your course starts but it doesn't affect the status of your application.

paq09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paq09 »

TheSealRimRady wrote:Just confirming what kevenev and navcanhopeful have said.

I didn't upload a photo until about a week before my course started. If you get placed on a course, and are still encountering the error, I'd inquire before your course starts but it doesn't affect the status of your application.
Good to hear! Thanks - to you and all other responders.

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by poseidon »

if the YYZ pool is so saturated, why are they running interviews this month?

TheSteamingPile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSteamingPile »

poseidon wrote:if the YYZ pool is so saturated, why are they running interviews this month?
There are lots of opportunities in YYZ. What the previous poster meant about saturation is there are a ton of applicants for ~12 IFR and 6 VFR slots per trainning session (usually 2 a year, one in spring and one in fall).

They are building a new, massive school at the YYZ ACC so maybe there will be an increase in student counts. I know they are so desperate for licenses in YYZ that they are fast-tracking 'friends and family' of Nav Can employees (they basically get more regular assessment sessions outside of the regularly scheduled Assessments for us 'off the street' types.

Don't be fooled, there is lots of opportunity in YYZ right now.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

It is interesting though that NavCan runs additional testing intakes when presumably they have plenty of able candidates already in the pool waiting. My understanding was that when they run an intake, it is because they need qualified candidates. Well what about the individuals who are waiting?

I've been in the pool almost 15 months and they've had two intakes since that time. Yet only a couple of courses.

TheSteamingPile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSteamingPile »

rspencer38 wrote:It is interesting though that NavCan runs additional testing intakes when presumably they have plenty of able candidates already in the pool waiting. My understanding was that when they run an intake, it is because they need qualified candidates. Well what about the individuals who are waiting?

I've been in the pool almost 15 months and they've had two intakes since that time. Yet only a couple of courses.
I cannot speak to the 'why' as I have no idea. It does bother me that some get to 'skip the line' as I came in the long way myself. I can only speak to the fact that the new CEO has made it a priority to streamline the application process so waits of 15 months in the pool shouldn't happen.

As I said previously they are building a new school so training, currently limited by resources available for trainees should be expanded.

paq09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paq09 »

As I said previously they are building a new school so training, currently limited by resources available for trainees should be expanded.
Any idea when this new training centre will open? "Building" sounds like it will take a while and therefore be of no benefit to those of us currently waiting in the pool.

paq09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paq09 »

rspencer38 wrote:It is interesting though that NavCan runs additional testing intakes when presumably they have plenty of able candidates already in the pool waiting. My understanding was that when they run an intake, it is because they need qualified candidates. Well what about the individuals who are waiting?

Interesting to note the other thread on here where the poster indicates they asked a whole group of people at the in-person assessment early this year to switch from YYZ to YWG FIR.
They asked our whole group to switch, around 30-40 people. I'd have to guess that YYZ was over capacity and YWG was in need of people.
Sounds like they were trying to avoid a further back-log of candidates in the YYZ pool. But I agree that fast-tracking 'friends and family' doesn't sound consistent with such a strategy. Who knows.

Best of luck in getting the call in the next 3 months!

bobbert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobbert »

I'm in the same boat as rspencer38 but I'm in YWG.

Just hit my 12 month mark in the IFR pool.

They also have another assessment for the YWG area on July 12th. I just hope I don't have to wait another 6 months only to have to re-apply all over again.

That's life though.

Karl419
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Karl419 »

Yeah, I'm still waiting on an in-person interview in YWG. I heard from the head office though that Winnipeg will be running a pile of courses starting in the fall (September, October) and that they haven't even started thinking about filling spots yet (i.e. all the courses are empty). Good news I guess - maybe there's still a chance to get an in-person interview done and get loaded on a fall course.

Fingers crossed!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”