Westjet B-767 issues

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Westjet B-767 issues

Post by chaster »

brooks wrote:Last I checked AT wasn't doing so well financially. Some guys I talk to think AT wont be around in a few years.
---------- ADS -----------

chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chaster »

brooks wrote:Last I checked AT wasn't doing so well financially. Some guys I talk to think AT wont be around in a few years.
344 Headed to LGW tonight from YYZ ! Bet they never sold at $250 a pop Either!!

Realitychex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Realitychex »

chaster wrote:
$327 o/w widely available on TS during the middle of this month. I found one day at $301 on WS, most are well north of $400. I doubt anyone at WS is concerned about loads. OTP is way higher on their hit parade.

AT is the meat in the sandwich. London is being squeezed hard, but so too are a number of markets on the continent, with LYS, BUD, WAW and PRG being the latest additions.

Are the new services going to be profitable on a fully allocated basis? I doubt it, but that's not what they were launched.

8)

chaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chaster »

Realitychex wrote:
chaster wrote:
$327 o/w widely available on TS during the middle of this month. I found one day at $301 on WS, most are well north of $400. I doubt anyone at WS is concerned about loads. OTP is way higher on their hit parade.

AT is the meat in the sandwich. London is being squeezed hard, but so too are a number of markets on the continent, with LYS, BUD, WAW and PRG being the latest additions.

Are the new services going to be profitable on a fully allocated basis? I doubt it, but that's not what they were launched.

8)
Another North of 340 off to LGW Tonight Mr.Bean ! I think ALL players are a little meat in the sandwich no? OMNI must be having a great MTH though!!

gulfan
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gulfan »

I wish I could disagree - but the facts are there. Latest quarter 1.5% net profit after everything is said and done. The shareholders are better off putting the money in the savings account.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

I notice a lot of guys on here don't really see the writing on the wall. With AC, WJ and now Sunwing eating into ATs lunch I don't see how they have a bright future. Let's just be clear guys AT makes no money and with WJ getting into the wide-body market this will only crowd out AT.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

brooks wrote:I notice a lot of guys on here don't really see the writing on the wall. With AC, WJ and now Sunwing eating into ATs lunch I don't see how they have a bright future. Let's just be clear guys AT makes no money and with WJ getting into the wide-body market this will only crowd out AT.
Well on a domestic front the competition(Jazz, Porter, AC express)to have survived the "WJ/Encore onslaught ", even mainline AC including Rouge are holding their own against the WJ- some may argue AC is doing much better. On the trans-Atlantic side with the newly introduced WJ operations B737/B767 it may be a little premature to predict demise of a long time entrant AT.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The disadvantage Transat has is now people have 2 options to book a ticket from anywhere AC or WJ fly to LGW whereas before it would be a separate ticket from somewhere on WJ to a hub AT flies out of and then AT from there. Personally I think AT has a nice product but they may see it as a better option down the road to be a travel company and dump the airline side.

To keep things semi thread related how long did it take AT to build up their wide body fleet? Does anyone remember if they had growing pains the way it seems like WJ is having?

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTrain »

fish4life wrote:
To keep things semi thread related how long did it take AT to build up their wide body fleet? Does anyone remember if they had growing pains the way it seems like WJ is having?

I don't think the problems Team Teal are having are unique to them. It happens to pretty much every Canadian operator each year, its just a matter of what hits the press and what doesn't.

For example, Sunwing runs a very tight schedule with their B737s in the winter months. Maintenance issues happen, and when they do occur, in say Gander, where there is no standby airplane ready to swoop in and take a planeload of hard-working Newfoundlanders down to their vacation destination but instead a 12 hour wait for maintenance to arrive on the scene and crew rest to be reset, of course people are going to be pissed, newspaper articles are going to be written, and folks are going to swear they will never fly the said airline again. If you don't believe me look up their reviews online. Last summer, on several occasions I couldn't help but notice Air Transat A310s parked on hardstands for maintenance issues, often with the engine cowling popped open and folks working on it, and then I'd go inside the terminal and see a virtual madhouse by their gates.

The bottom line is with the exception of Air Canada operations within Canada, air operators in our country do not have backup airplanes to cover their flights 100% of the time. With Air Canada overseas, it is more a matter of luck and how they can route you to your destination. WJ plans their schedule to allow some spare coverage and they even have the Omni 767 standing by, but plan as you may, there is only so much you can do. Stuff happens. I have no doubt the higher-ups at WJ are hard at work ironing out the kinks so that things will run smoother in the future.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Looks like WestJet's 767 problems continue. Are we seeing a very sick aircraft or lots problems re more than one of the aircraft or is it crew shortages?

Decision No. 182-A-2016
June 9, 2016

APPLICATION by WestJet, on behalf of itself and Omni Air International, Inc. also carrying on business as Omni Air Express (Omni Air), pursuant to section 60 of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c.10, as amended (CTA), and section 8.2 of the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended (ATR).
Case Number:
16-02910
APPLICATION

WestJet, on behalf of itself and Omni Air, has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for an approval to permit WestJet to provide its scheduled international service between Canada and the United Kingdom using one Boeing 767-300 aircraft with flight crew provided by Omni Air, beginning on June 5 to June 18, 2016.

As the application was filed less than 45 days before the first planned flight, as required by subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR, an exemption from the application of this provision is necessary. The Agency finds that compliance with subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR is impractical in this case. Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 80(l)(c) of the CTA, exempts WestJet from the application of subsection 8.2(2) of the ATR.

WestJet is licensed to operate a scheduled international service in accordance with the Agreement on Air Transport between Canada and the European Community and its Member States, signed on December 18, 2009.

Omni Air holds a valid Canadian Foreign Air Operators Certificate.

POLICY

When assessing wet-lease applications where Canadian carriers propose to enter into wet-lease arrangements of more than 30 days with foreign carriers to provide international passenger services, the Agency must apply a direction issued by the Minister of Transport on June 24, 2014 entitled Ministerial Direction for International Service – Canada's Policy for Wet-Leasing (2014 Wet-Lease Policy).

In Decision No. 130-A-2016, the Agency approved the use by WestJet of one aircraft with flight crew provided by Omni Air for a period of 30 days, until June 4, 2016. The current application is for a renewed approval for a period of an additional 14 days; therefore, the 2014 Wet-Lease Policy applies.

ISSUE

Is the Agency satisfied that the application of WestJet and Omni Air meets the requirements of section 8.2 of the ATR and the criteria of the 2014 Wet-Lease Policy, specifically the 20 percent cap?

Pursuant to the 2014 Wet-Lease Policy, for wet-leases of more than 30 days, a number of aircraft equal to 20 percent of the number of Canadian-registered aircraft on the lessee's air operator certificate (AOC) may be wet leased from foreign lessors. The Agency notes that at the time of application, i.e., June 3, 2016, WestJet had 118 aircraft on its AOC. Therefore, this application meets the 20 percent cap requirement of the 2014 Wet-Lease Policy.

The Agency has considered the application and the material in support and is satisfied that it meets the remaining requirements of section 8.2 of the ATR. The Agency is also satisfied that the application satisfies the criteria of the 2014 Wet-Lease Policy.

Accordingly, the Agency, pursuant to paragraph 60(1)(b) of the CTA and section 8.2 of the ATR, approves the use by WestJet of one aircraft with flight crew provided by Omni Air, and the provision by Omni Air of such aircraft and flight crew to WestJet, to permit WestJet to provide its scheduled international service on licensed routes between Canada and the United Kingdom using one aircraft with flight crew provided by Omni Air, beginning on June 5 to June 18, 2016.

This approval is subject to the following conditions:
1.WestJet shall continue to hold the valid licence authority.
2.Commercial control of the flights shall be maintained by WestJet. Omni Air shall maintain operational control of the flights and shall receive payment based on the rental of aircraft and crew and not on the basis of the volume of traffic carried or other revenue-sharing formula.
3.WestJet and Omni Air shall continue to comply with the insurance requirements set out in subsections 8.2(4), 8.2(5) and 8.2(6) of the ATR.
4.WestJet shall continue to comply with the public disclosure requirements set out in section 8.5 of the ATR.
5.WestJet and Omni Air shall advise the Agency in advance of any changes to the information provided in support of the application.

This Decision takes effect on June 3, 2016, the date on which it was communicated verbally to WestJet.

cggnl
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cggnl »

More issues tonight with WJA003 YYZ-LGW. Made it as far as Maine and returned to YYZ.

https://www.flightradar24.com/WJA3/9fcf2fa

ckl
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ckl »

Lookin' good eh?

What me worry?

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

cggnl wrote:More issues tonight with WJA003 YYZ-LGW. Made it as far as Maine and returned to YYZ.

FMC failure and not enough fuel on board to shift the route to a non ETOPS flight.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Airbrake wrote:
cggnl wrote:More issues tonight with WJA003 YYZ-LGW. Made it as far as Maine and returned to YYZ.

FMC failure and not enough fuel on board to shift the route to a non ETOPS flight.
Ya, but did the passengers get pizza back on the ground?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

OTP matters to passengers, but it also matters a great deal to the London Gatwick Airport Authority which runs at capacity all the time. I haven't been there in a while but I remember one of the Canadian charter companies losing their slots at LGW because their shoddy OTP performance put too much stress on the airport. They were forced to go to Stansted or Luton instead and advertised it as the "smart" alternative to fly to London.

It's all about the message....

BTW, they also record each departure and arrival's runway occupancy time and your airline will get a snotgram from LGW if you're too slow.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

As a pilot for a competitor, this does not make me happy. Call me a dreamer but I would like to see our owners find a way to make it work so we all have jobs while they all make money. Just like at intersections where there are 4 gas stations selling at the same price and all making money. Over capacity is a silly game of chicken. The public has shown us they are willing to travel, stop feeding them ridiculously low fares. They will still travel at a higher price and higher prices help you sustain lower load factors.

Just my dreamy 2 cents.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Had friends book WJ to Gatwick return and ended up on an Omni charter aircraft which turned out to be a miserable experience.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Noticed last night in YYC that one of the '67's was half way in one of the maintenance bays waiting for a new engine.

URC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by URC »

With the $700 Million they have spent in share buybacks and dividend payments since their current CEO took over, they could have bought 4 new B787's with cash debt free.

watermeth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by watermeth »

from what I understand dividend payment is also for employees, sorry... owners.

Return to “WestJet”