Westjet B-767 issues

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Westjet B-767 issues

Post by Troubleshot »

JTrain wrote:
fish4life wrote:
To keep things semi thread related how long did it take AT to build up their wide body fleet? Does anyone remember if they had growing pains the way it seems like WJ is having?

I don't think the problems Team Teal are having are unique to them. It happens to pretty much every Canadian operator each year, its just a matter of what hits the press and what doesn't.

For example, Sunwing runs a very tight schedule with their B737s in the winter months. Maintenance issues happen, and when they do occur, in say Gander, where there is no standby airplane ready to swoop in and take a planeload of hard-working Newfoundlanders down to their vacation destination but instead a 12 hour wait for maintenance to arrive on the scene and crew rest to be reset, of course people are going to be pissed, newspaper articles are going to be written, and folks are going to swear they will never fly the said airline again. If you don't believe me look up their reviews online. Last summer, on several occasions I couldn't help but notice Air Transat A310s parked on hardstands for maintenance issues, often with the engine cowling popped open and folks working on it, and then I'd go inside the terminal and see a virtual madhouse by their gates.

The bottom line is with the exception of Air Canada operations within Canada, air operators in our country do not have backup airplanes to cover their flights 100% of the time. With Air Canada overseas, it is more a matter of luck and how they can route you to your destination. WJ plans their schedule to allow some spare coverage and they even have the Omni 767 standing by, but plan as you may, there is only so much you can do. Stuff happens. I have no doubt the higher-ups at WJ are hard at work ironing out the kinks so that things will run smoother in the future.
Just as a note, Sunwing have a maintenance agreement with a 3rd party AMO to provide maintenance support on the east coast. Not just AOG's either, pretty much every flight is met by an AME on the east coast during the "down south" season. Transat uses the same AMO for its 737 operations in some cities but I am not sure if they meet every flight.

Obviously some issues cannot be rectified within the hour due to a needed part, etc...but my experience doing it a few years ago was most of the time it was just a M# MEL action needed, tire changed, bird strike inspection, etc...light duty stuff. Sunwing continue to build up their outbase part inventory so long delays are getting reduced. Longest delay I had was a engine starter pooped the bed, while fairly simple to change I had to wait 6 hours in Deer Lake for the part to arrive.

Anyway just throwing it out there.
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Where's Realitychex to spin this one?

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

complexintentions wrote:Where's Realitychex to spin this one?
There is no spin. The entire B767 program rollout at WJ has been an operational train wreck.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Justanotherpilot2 wrote:You're dreaming if you think AT will go anywhere. You're also dreaming if you think WJ will take over any international market.
I hope AT doesn't go anywhere. Time will tell if we take market share, but a lot of people said we wouldn't gain market share domestically too.

Last edited by KAG on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Realitychex
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Realitychex »

rudder wrote:
complexintentions wrote:Where's Realitychex to spin this one?
There is no spin. The entire B767 program rollout at WJ has been an operational train wreck.
Do you see me disagreeing with this statement?

8)

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Just as a note, Sunwing have a maintenance agreement with a 3rd party AMO to provide maintenance support on the east coast. Not just AOG's either, pretty much every flight is met by an AME on the east coast during the "down south" season. Transat uses the same AMO for its 737 operations in some cities but I am not sure if they meet every flight.

Obviously some issues cannot be rectified within the hour due to a needed part, etc...but my experience doing it a few years ago was most of the time it was just a M# MEL action needed, tire changed, bird strike inspection, etc...light duty stuff. Sunwing continue to build up their outbase part inventory so long delays are getting reduced. Longest delay I had was a engine starter pooped the bed, while fairly simple to change I had to wait 6 hours in Deer Lake for the part to arrive.

Anyway just throwing it out there.
TS flights are all met by an AME at every station.

Return to “WestJet”