Interview call back time ?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Egres
Rank 1
Rank 1

Interview call back time ?

Post by Egres »

Hi guys

wondering how long after your in person interview do you usually get a call back? good or bad?

Cheer
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Interview call back time ?

Post by Grey_Wolf »

It all depends when their Ground School is starting.

From what I've heard; it's usually a month before the start date, that job offers are sent out.

Porter recently interviewed candidates in July and the next course dates are slated for Sept/Oct.

I'd venture a guess that successful candidates will be contacted in the next 2-3 weeks.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Egres
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Egres »

How about the guys that don't make the cut?

ClearProp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ClearProp »

Grey_Wolf wrote:It all depends when their Ground School is starting.

From what I've heard; it's usually a month before the start date, that job offers are sent out.

Porter recently interviewed candidates in July and the next course dates are slated for Sept/Oct.

I'd venture a guess that successful candidates will be contacted in the next 2-3 weeks.

Any idea when will be the next GS following the Sept/Oct class ?

"The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway." - Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

ClearProp wrote:
Any idea when will be the next GS following the Sept/Oct class ?
Calls have gone out for the Sept 5 class. Interviews are ongoing; the class after that is scheduled for Oct 3. Unsure after that.

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

Weird that the GS would start on Labour Day...

Offers have just started to go out for Sept 12th GS and I don't believe they have a date for the Oct GS yet.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

imac0960 wrote:Weird that the GS would start on Labour Day...
Typo, it seems... you're correct. 12th.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Historically, Porter tends to hire for classes in Jan/Feb, Apr, and Sept/Oct. More classes are added in between due to upgrades and attrition.

I can confirm 12 new hires are starting in Sept (offers have been sent out already), and another 12 starting Oct 3 (offer to be sent out, interviews still in progress); as mentioned above.

I'd venture a guess that the next class will be slated for early Jan start (10 candidates starting 9th; if I was a betting man). I'd also tend to believe that interviews would probably happen late Oct/early Nov.

If you didn't get an offer this round, please keep in contact by updating your resume.

If you have any internal contact(s), have them walk your resume in to the DFO, CP, Manager of Pilot Training; and speak to them on your behalf.

All the best!

Turbine dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbine dog »

Grey_wolf,

Would someone who interviewed in July still have a shot at the October ground school? Or has the ship sailed.

Also, when would candidates find out if they are NOTsuccessfull?

Thanks!

ClearProp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ClearProp »

Thank you for the reply guys.

In relation to the ATPL Requirement, would it be wise for one to wait until the ATPL is in hand or would having an ATPL application already submitted to TC suffice?

"The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway." - Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Turbine dog wrote:Would someone who interviewed in July still have a shot at the October ground school? Or has the ship sailed. Also, when would candidates find out if they are NOT successful? Thanks!
Those who interviewed in July may be considered for the Oct class. As mentioned, interviews are still being conducted. Offer are YET to be sent out. Once again, using past history; if the next class is scheduled for Oct 3rd, and offers are normally sent out a month ahead; I'd say that if you haven't received an offer by labor day weekend, then sorry, the proverbial boat has left port.
ClearProp wrote:In relation to the ATPL Requirement, would it be wise for one to wait until the ATPL is in hand or would having an ATPL application already submitted to TC suffice?
Honestly, having it in hand is one less to worry about. Nothing is stopping you from applying, since the job add says ATPL or IATRA. The preference is having the ATPL. If it comes up during the interview, explain the situation and have the necessary paperwork in order.

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

Grey wolf. Let me get this straight. Porter doesn't tell the candidate if they were successful or not ?? But instead sweat it out and wonder when they will get a phone call. I have found too many false answers from people on this website

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

No they tell you you'll hear something within 4 weeks. It will either be a PFO, an email saying your in the pool for a future course, or a course date if they are hiring at that time.

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

Lemon. Do you work for this company. Or is this speculation

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Oni wrote:Grey wolf. Let me get this straight. Porter doesn't tell the candidate if they were successful or not ?? But instead sweat it out and wonder when they will get a phone call. I have found too many false answers from people on this website
At what point did I say that Porter doesn't tell candidates their status?

I've stated several times that offers are sent out approx a month in advance. If you don't receive an offer, it should go without saying, you were unsuccessful for that hiring class.

At the end of each interview that I've ever done the panel has always opened up the floor for the interviewee to ask questions. Asking a simple question like: "What timeline could a successful candidate expect?" isn't outlandish.

It's unfortunate that you've been lead astray as you claim. AvCanada states right at the bottom of the page; use the information you read at your own risk.

When someone ask a question on this board, to which I know a little about the subject, I try to answer it the best of my ability. I'm simply a forum member speaking my piece.

I don't speak for Porter; if you want answers directly, the best approach would be to contact them directly.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

Look at the question mark in my statement grey wolf.

Here we go folks. Another expert that isn't associated with the company. Don't waste people's time !!

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Oni wrote:Look at the question mark in my statement
I'm looking real hard, tell me what am I supposed to see? Because I'm seriously not getting it.

Once again, never claimed to be an expert. People ask a question, I provide information based on what I know.

JohnG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JohnG »

Oni wrote:Grey wolf. Let me get this straight. Porter doesn't tell the candidate if they were successful or not ?? But instead sweat it out and wonder when they will get a phone call. I have found too many false answers from people on this website
Hey Oni,

If you've had an interview, and you haven't heard anything, then you're likely still in consideration. We do like to give as much notice as possible, and have sent out offers for the September ground school. Offers for October should start going out in the next couple of weeks.

If you're curious, and haven't heard anything for a few weeks after your interview, don't hesitate to reach out directly to Porter to inquire about your status. Porter DOES inform those who did not make the cut.

There will be additional ground schools in the new year, as there are new airplanes arriving.

Sincerely,

John Gronlund
Manager, Pilot Training
Porter Airlines

Julie- PorterPRA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Julie- PorterPRA »

Having read through all the info posted here I would say it is all pretty accurate. I am personally involved with the pilot hiring and can verify this information.

I will add a few things. We did interview people in July who may not receive a course date until Oct or later. The reason for this COULD be that we like them but they need more time to get the ATPL requirements or we like them yet they didn't rank as high as other candidates who interviewed after. This could be a combo in interview score and experience. Much like pools at other airlines, pilots can often sit there for a year and not be placed in a GS as other candidates that are ranked higher are selected first. If we do put you in a pool then we will notify you.

We have half of Oct filled (not notified.) We are continuing interviews through Aug and at end of Aug offers for Oct will be made. Some early offers for Oct may be made before the end of Aug. Those that are successful in the September interviews could potentially be offered the Oct GS (although we like to give a months notice) OR pooled for the Jan GS which is not yet planned but expected.

I know the waiting can be frustrating. Been there. Those interviewed in June / July who were unsuccessful have now been notified. There were lots of amazing candidates and it has been been tough! Candidates are selected based on experience, internal recommends and the interview.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Julie

Flash8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flash8 »

Looks like im late to the interview party.

Does porter foresee another round of interviews happening later on in the year for the TBA groundschools in 2017?

Return to “Porter Airlines”