Itinerant parking at CYBW

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Itinerant parking at CYBW

Post by Posthumane »

Flew to Springbank last week as I was going to NW Calgary. Normally when I go there I park at the flying club - they had a parking rate of $10 for members and $15 for non-members if I remember right. I called ahead just to make sure they have space, and was told rather abruptly that I can't park there, they're not an FBO and never have offered FBO services such as parking, and that I should pound salt and try somewhere else.

So, I looked other FBOs in YBW and found the website for Springbank Aero, which listed ramp parking at $15/night, so I figured I'd go there. When I got there, the ramp attendant asked if I needed fuel and said he'd fuel it sometime over the weekend so it would be ready to go on Sunday when I planned to leave. I went to pay on Sunday only to find out that parking was actually $55/night, not $15 like the website said. When I asked the guy about the discrepancy, all he said was "Yeah, that website should be taken down..." Anyway, stupid me for not confirming the price when I got there.

I checked the fee schedule for springbank and it says the Apron fee is around $16, though the ramp guy at Springbank Aero told me it's more than they charge, like $60 or $70. Was he just pulling my leg? Where do you usually park, for those that visit Springbank?
---------- ADS -----------

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Itinerant parking at CYBW

Post by ahramin »

Is Cavalier Aviation still there?

You didn't actually pay the $55 /night did you?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

A few years back, we parked a couple of 172's at the flying club over night. We were told in advance that it was alright to park there.

When we arrived in the morning, we were met by a rather pissed off staff member who told us that we should have never parked at the club and that we were to leave immediately. The club seemed much more amicable after we purchased fuel from them, but in retrospect we should have just buggered off to a different spot for fuel.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I guess CFC is too busy with their Chinese students:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.3733432

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I parked at Calgary Flying Club for 5 days without any issue. Strange

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

CFC seems to have a lack of consistency and communication between staff. I don't know how much turn-over they have, but I always feel like I'm talking to someone new there.

Stupidly, I did pay the $55 / night as I was just wanting to get going and didn't feel like getting into an argument with the rampie, who probably couldn't do anything anyway. It's probably not a bad idea to send a complaint to the company though, and see if I can get it partially refunded.

Cavalier aviation doesn't seem to have parking listed on their site, it looks like a maintenance shop to me?

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

I've parked at the flying club in YBW overnight, would've been almost 1.5 years ago though. I don't remember it being an issue at all.

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

FYI, Airdrie has free parking if you get gas there. Their gas is cheaper than CYBW and depending on how far S and W in the NW you're going, it's about the same distance.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

If it helps, there's also a courtesy car available at High River.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!

Return to “General Comments”