ATC Survey, Please Help

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AMilChick10
Rank 0
Rank 0

ATC Survey, Please Help

Post by AMilChick10 »

Greetings Fellow pilots!!

I am a fellow pilot and starving Ph.D. student in need of your help to improve the quality of services you receive from Nav Canada. I am conducting a study asking pilots what they think of the services provided to them by their air traffic control provider. This is your chance to personally weigh in on the matter.

The purpose of this study is to determine the quality of air traffic control services provided to pilots in both the United States and Canada. All you need to do is take a short survey about the services you receive from Nav Canada. The result of this study may give government officials from both countries greater insight into how to most effectively allocate resources within air traffic control to provide the best possible service for you!

This is your chance to provide valuable input. Please don’t pass up this opportunity to contribute to the future of your air traffic control.

Please copy and paste the following link to take the survey:

http://www.surveymethods.com/EndUser.as ... 8ACCDEDD89

Upon completion of the study, a summary of the results will be posted on this website.

Thank you in advance!

Catherine Essner
Capella University
cdunham3@capellauniversity.edu

P.S. I owe anyone who takes this survey much gratitude and a beer!
---------- ADS -----------

Meddler
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ATC Survey, Please Help

Post by Meddler »

How do we get the beer?

Jk, I'll have a look.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I tried it and after reading the first (introductory) page, it took me to a blank page - had the funky wood grain background, but no text other than "powered by Survey Monkey". When I clicked the back button on my browser, it popped back to the intro and then immediately back to the blank page. Tried several times, same thing. I'd be willing to help but it doesn't seem to be working....

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

HiFlyChick wrote:I tried it and after reading the first (introductory) page, it took me to a blank page - had the funky wood grain background, but no text other than "powered by Survey Monkey". When I clicked the back button on my browser, it popped back to the intro and then immediately back to the blank page. Tried several times, same thing. I'd be willing to help but it doesn't seem to be working....
Same thing happened to me.

nopilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nopilot »

Worked fine for me and I am not even a captain, or a pilot.

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

With respect, unless this survey is "officially" sanctioned....I really doubt it will be much help to either pilots or ATC. Opinions are OK..but both pilots and ATC are going to disagree on what works best for them.

The question is moot unless both sides of the equation are taken into account. Asking a pilot how ATC can improve service, without taking into account what ATC sometimes needs from a pilot will mean we go round in circles....as one side does not understand what the other is either doing or requires.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Good point MAC.
What really needed is a program where pilots come in to visit various ATC units and see what happens in the tower cab and on the radar screen, and controllers need flights in the cockpit where they can see the pilots' workload and get a better understanding of what the plane can and cannot do.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

RexKrammer wrote:Good point MAC.
What really needed is a program where pilots come in to visit various ATC units and see what happens in the tower cab and on the radar screen, and controllers need flights in the cockpit where they can see the pilots' workload and get a better understanding of what the plane can and cannot do.
Controllers used to be allowed in the cock pit pre 9-11. We used to do it on our Fam Flights. On the other side of the coin, pilots are always welcome in the ACC just have to ask.

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

I put mostly 6s across the board. Both sides have a job to do and no one is perfect. I've met a few controllers personally and I can vouch that they are as human as the pilots flying the airplanes. (I know blasphemy right?)

ATC/FSS/Nav Can wants everyone to get home safe and pilots want the same. No I don't like being put in a hold and I might get a little annoyed but it's the way of things when there is no radar in the north. (Moosenee and Timmins specifically) but I realize that money isn't printed on trees so there can't be radar and ILS at every airport up north.

AMilChick10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AMilChick10 »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it is took me so long to respond. I've been on a trip and just got back. I do not know why the survey did not work for some of you. I tried it myself from different computers and it worked both times. I have a inquiry into the company I used to produce it and will let you know what I find out. Thank you everyone so very much for your interest and your willingness to help! I really appreciate it! With regards to it actually making a difference on the service you receive I cannot guarantee anything. This survey is one of the most widely used by organizations to gauge their level of service quality and determine areas in need of improvement. The data I gather from this survey will be compared to the results of the same study conducted in 2007. By making the comparison, it will be obvious which area are in need of improvement. The results of this study will be published. If Nav Canada chooses to use the results to improve their organization it is up to them. Hopefully, they will. And, if I ever meet any of you who took the time to help me in the system- first round is on me!

AMilChick10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AMilChick10 »

Hi Everyone,

My study is wrapping up very soon. Many thanks to those who have already taken the survey! I am forever grateful! I have only had 28 pilots from the U.S. and 61 pilots from Canada take the survey. This is way short of my goal of 385. The survey website is fully functioning and awaiting your responses. Please help out if you have a few minutes. I would really appreciate it!!

Thank you!
Catherine

Return to “General Comments”