Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

PSA Airlines Pay

Post by plhought »

For your interest....

http://www.psaairlines.com/psa-airlines ... re-pilots/
New pilot pay package includes an immediate 56 percent increase in first-year wages, substantial cash retention and sizeable bonuses.

DAYTON, Ohio – PSA Airlines today announced significant changes to its pilot pay program, including industry-leading wages for new-hire pilots, an increased sign-on bonus for new recruits and retention bonuses for First Officers and Captains to create a top-tier compensation structure – marking a monumental milestone for the airline. These valuable enhancements, which are effective immediately, elevate PSA to the top of the regional industry in first-year compensation for new-hire pilots. This is an important milestone for the company’s recruiting mission to hire the best and brightest future aviators in the industry to carry out its future plans as a vital part of the American Airlines regional network.

“PSA’s new pilot compensation program is a true game-changer for our airline and we are proud to offer the highest first-year compensation in the regional industry,” said Dion Flannery, President of PSA Airlines. “This package complements the unrivaled stability and growth opportunity at our carrier and with a true seniority-based flow to American Airlines, PSA is well-positioned to offer prospective pilots the highest paying and most stable career path in commercial aviation.”

Details of the new compensation package include a 56 percent increase to the starting pay for new-hire First Officers, increasing wages from $24.62 per hour to $38.50 per hour. The airline will continue offering all new-hire pilots a $15,000 sign-on bonus, with an additional $5,000 for new-hire pilots with CRJ-type experience. PSA is also implementing a $20,000 retention bonus for First Officers hired under this new program to be paid out in installments after their one-year anniversary with the company. PSA is also instituting a $7,500 retention bonus for all Captains currently employed with the company.

With these changes, first-year pay for new-hire pilots now tops the regional industry at $58,500, plus an additional $3,000 with a commuter hotel allowance program implemented earlier this year. A pilot starting their commercial aviation career with PSA can reasonably expect to reach Captain and earn between $165,000 and $175,000 in compensation for their first three years of service with the company.

As a stable carrier owned by the largest airline in the world, PSA has a defined and committed fleet and growth plan. Since 2014, PSA has doubled its size from 49 aircraft to 115 aircraft and will continue to grow to operate 150 Bombardier CRJ aircraft.

Today’s announcement builds on the success of PSA’s sustained recruitment platform which includes the recent introduction and continued development of the airline’s Cadet Program. The program is the first of its kind and helps the most promising future pilots make a smooth transition from the classroom at top colleges, universities and flight schools to the cockpit and offers various levels of support as the Cadet’s certifications, training and experience evolves.

For more information about the benefits offered to PSA’s pilots, please visit: http://www.psaairlines.com/careers/pilots.

About PSA Airlines

PSA Airlines operates an all-jet fleet consisting of exclusively Bombardier regional jet aircraft. The company’s 2,500 employees operate nearly 700 daily flights to nearly 90 destinations. Headquartered in Dayton, Ohio, PSA also has flight crew bases located in Dayton, Cincinnati, Ohio, Knoxville, Tennessee, and Charlotte, North Carolina. PSA has maintenance facilities in Dayton and Canton, Ohio and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport and Charlotte, North Carolina. PSA operates 35 Bombardier CRJ200 aircraft, 26 Bombardier CRJ700 aircraft and 54 Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft. The airline expects to add additional Bombardier CRJ700 aircraft and Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft to its fleet in the next two years, bringing its fleet count to 150.
---------- ADS -----------

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: PSA Airlines Pay

Post by Kosiw »

So south of the border regionals are finally upping the salaries,now the Aussies are trying to poach Dash drivers from here offering big $$$ for their regionals. Supply and demand...guess which way the scales have tipped in Canada... :lol:

Gravity always wins
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The CDN pilot employment market is still behaving as if it was in a supply surplus (buyer's market). Once the reality manifests itself that there is a supply shortfall based on aggregate demand - particularly at the entry level - then it will behave as a seller's market and there will be a revised compensation equilibrium.

Offering interviews and far distant future economic rewards will not be sufficient to staff today's flights at the regionals. The US is already demonstrating where things are headed.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Canada is about 2-3 years behind the USA.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

rudder wrote:The CDN pilot employment market is still behaving as if it was in a supply surplus (buyer's market). Once the reality manifests itself that there is a supply shortfall based on aggregate demand - particularly at the entry level - then it will behave as a seller's market and there will be a revised compensation equilibrium.

Offering interviews and far distant future economic rewards will not be sufficient to staff today's flights at the regionals. The US is already demonstrating where things are headed.
…..and in the meantime here pilots still sign bonds as a perquisite for employment and if said pilots get a much better offer somewhere else, superior pay and conditions and leave early, is costs. Now I am not suggesting that you can skip out, or think you can if you depart earlier than signed/agreed to. However there just may be a time coming where pilots can say, nope, I am not interesting in working for a company that has a training/employment bond.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/Aviati ... r%20Pilots
Envoy Airlines, a subsidiary of AA is also offering a similar first year FO salary of $58,000 ($76,000 CAD) and a good signing bonus. It is a great initiative that caused even me to spike interest in the American regionals. That is almost double pay than what you could expect as first year FO at Encore or Jazz! Not to mention a guaranteed flow through to AA without an interview. I still show zero interest in the Canadian regionals unless they do the same as the states. I stand for a fair wage and living situation based on the risk we take each day flying expensive machines and being responsible for so many lives. I just cashed in double the money within two weeks than what a regional FO makes in a month, and I worked half as much to top it off. It is a no brainer that I am staying where I am until the Canadian regionals can spill some of their profit made over the last year or so due to low-ish oil prices. Oh, and I am not bonded and my chief pilot knows my name and respects me and treats me like a human being.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ ^sorry to be a bore, but something required beforehand is a prerequisite, while something offered as a benefit is a perquisite.... :oops:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I can't wait for jazz/encore/sky to run out of prospects... But like mentioned above Canada seems to be 2-3 years behind the US. They'd rather put 250hr cadets in the right seat before they raise pay

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Which is exactly what will happen.

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

Sadly they don't take Canadian pilots without a green card. Been there done that.

Until these companies actually sponsor you or will accept a work visa. :roll: :roll:
No luck

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

sstaurus wrote:I can't wait for jazz/encore/sky to run out of prospects... But like mentioned above Canada seems to be 2-3 years behind the US. They'd rather put 250hr cadets in the right seat before they raise pay
i think it is sad that wj and ac have decided to hire every bit from their regionals. I mean, guys flying for northern wh9ever are less good? It is all bs. So guys with sim time are worth more than guys flying real overshot in dark holes?
Transport Canada needs to grow some balls and ask an atp to fly in 705.

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Heisenberg666
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heisenberg666 »

Applied yesterday just for fun, because the requirements didn't explicitly say you need to be "legal to work and live in the US".
Got my PFO today. Looks like it'll be a while before Canadians are welcome.

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

Transport Canada will never have the balls to implement mandatory atpl for 705. The airline lobbying in this country is too strong. Just look at how long it's taking for duty rules to be implemented...

Sadly until these rules pass we will not see the same improvements to our regionals. They will just hire more and more 200h wonders at minimum salary when the pool of qualified pilots dry up.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

IF the USA were to add pilot to the list of green card jobs, then you'd see the wawcon change across the board up here.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Remember that in the US there will be no job offer from UA/AA/DL without an accredited 4 year university degree,

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

DrSpaceman wrote:Transport Canada will never have the balls to implement mandatory atpl for 705. The airline lobbying in this country is too strong. Just look at how long it's taking for duty rules to be implemented...

Sadly until these rules pass we will not see the same improvements to our regionals. They will just hire more and more 200h wonders at minimum salary when the pool of qualified pilots dry up.
Has TC and the airlines learned nothing...they are asking for trouble if god forbid a Colgan Flt 3407 type incident happens this side of border.

Gravity always wins
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

An ATPL for 705 and modernized flight and dimes both need to be top priorities. Anyway, I digress.

My wife is a dual Canadian/US citizen, maybe that will help get work permits? I haven't looked into it at all. Still seems like a lot of work just to apply.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

North Shore wrote:^ ^sorry to be a bore, but something required beforehand is a prerequisite, while something offered as a benefit is a perquisite.... :oops:
Percocet is a great benefit.

Certainly livens up pub night after a long week flying with the same mopes all day...

[img]
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=htt ... mrc&uact=8
[/img]

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

This is great that pay is rising for the regionals in the US. They completely screwed themselves by offering stupidly low salaries for so long that, combined with the 1500 hour rule, has completely dried up supply of available candidates. The general aviation scene in the US is very different in Canada due to geography. While I think it's fair to say that a good majority of pilots that are in northern Canada want to make it back south at some point to fly for an airline (obviously not everybody), this isn't the case in the states. A pilot gets a nice gig flying a business jet or twin at a nearby airport for good cash - do you think they want move or commute to go to the regionals or majors?

A couple notes:

Although PSA and Envoy have flow to AA, right now at least, the flow time is long. Somewhere in the range of 6 -12 years depending which internet poster you believe. Most of the US regionals with flows have a requirement that the pilot be a Captain at the regional for 2 years prior to being permitted to flow. The FAA requires 1000 hours 121 time prior to being permitted to upgrade to Captain. So, while in theory in the above situation a pilot may be permitted to flow after about 4 or 5 years based on the above info, the timing is still a lot longer. (Though I could definitely see it going down)

Not all of the majors require a 4 year degree for those who flow from one of their regionals.

Depending on which regional you go to, you may be looking at reserve for a number of years. Some regionals and some domiciles do not have much reserve, whereas others have significant lengths of reserve.

Like some of the airlines in Canada, domicile is determined by seniority. And seniority in class is determined either by oldest to youngest or numbers on social security cards. You could be sitting reserve in Dayton, Ohio for a couple years at PSA.

Although I have heard it from a friend who, heard from a friend who, heard from another that some of the regionals have sponsored foreign pilots, I do not believe this is the case. All regionals require a legal right to work in the US (it does not have to be an unlimited right and they cannot ask if there's a time limit on your visa) and with a number of them, you need to already have a US Social Security card before you can even apply on their online application portal.

A couple good resources online with info - Aerocrew news and then airline pilot central has US forums. Take them with an even bigger grain of salt than the Canadian forums.

For what it's worth, I sort of had the option to fly for a US regional and I've chosen to stay in Canada (though admittedly, the pay is lower).

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”