Citation down North of Kelowna

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Coast-dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Citation down North of Kelowna

Post by Coast-dog »

Terrible news, condolences to all family and friends :(
---------- ADS -----------

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues." - Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

ragbagflyer wrote:
fixedpitch wrote:
So no icing conditions were present in the area at the time?
Nothing of any significance.
Well .. okay ..your post is made 305pm.
FYI there's a radar image publicized for 9:40pm last night shown on CBC 3:45pm today by Chris, of the wx network. Seems there ... if you performed a right turnout at YLW off rwy16 for climbout west could encounter markedly different precip in climb than in the left turnout into a northeast climbout east of Kelowna.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

oldncold wrote:The 3? I have are
1) was there a strong jet stream or Mountain wave in the Kelowna area those have been known to exceed 3000ft min
2)medical issues
3) did aircraft have inflight structural failure
Note this is not speculation. But?
To his family I was fortunate to have met him 1 once. When he was industry minister. Also he took the time to answer my opposition to the sale of mc Donald Dwettwiller to ALLIANZ. Re sar sat 2 technology it spoke volumes to me about the kind of guy he was. My sincere condolences to his family and to also to the families of all on board.
Jim Prentice was an outstanding Canadian.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

pdw wrote:
ragbagflyer wrote:
fixedpitch wrote:
So no icing conditions were present in the area at the time?
Nothing of any significance.
Well .. okay ..your post is made 305pm.
FYI there's a radar image publicized for 9:40pm last night shown on CBC 3:45pm today by Chris, of the wx network. Seems there ... if you performed a right turnout at YLW off rwy16 for climbout west could encounter markedly different precip in climb than in the left turnout into a northeast climbout east of Kelowna.
I spent a fair amount of time sitting in a relative's house at Black Mountain in Rutland this summer and every jet I saw coming of 16 climbed straight ahead and abeam Black Mountain started a climbing left turn for eastern points.

Do we know they departed off 16. The METAR seems to favor 34, no?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

DanWEC wrote:Jim Prentice, former AB premiere, was aboard the plane. RIP to all.
The Star has this report, naming another passenger...

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... crash.html

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Just saw an aerial view of the crash site, it appears to have gone in vertical, no trail of debris, just the impact area. I hope there is a CVR and FDR for a hopefully quick report!

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

mbav8r wrote:Just saw an aerial view of the crash site, it appears to have gone in vertical, no trail of debris, just the impact area. I hope there is a CVR and FDR for a hopefully quick report!
Doesn't look like much left.

Anybody comment on that last readout 120 knots and -2200 fpm at 4800 feet.

upup_away
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upup_away »

daedalusx wrote:
upup_away wrote:There has been some nasty weather over Western Canada lately.
A) No it hasn't. Not in CYLW lately.

B) Theres no wx that would cause you to go -2000fpm on a 500. Even on 1 engine.
Was there not a typhoon hitting western BC that day? Looking at the weather didn't seem very nice. Where did you get the-2000fm stat?

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Siddley Hawker wrote:
Where did you get the-2000fm stat?
https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20161013-0
Can't imagine a structural failure causing a light descent rate like that although Flightracker isn't always super accurate, physiological issue, TR deploy, SVR TURBC maybe. The picture on CBC looked like the V stab and one H stab survived, not much else.

CBC said pilot and 3 pax. Not sure if that's accurate, don't know of many single pilot jet ops in Canada. Condolences.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

There are definitely a number of jets being flown single-pilot in Canada.

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oscar »

News is reporting the identity of the single pilot, JK. Also the third passenger. Very sad day for everyone.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

Correct re solo pic jet the good thing is these days, Flt safety n Simcom won't issue spic jet to those ( good for all concerned,public and industry alike).that cut their training program. Which brings me to the dark side. As part of any normal investigation of hi profile individuals. One must ask the following? 1) who would gain the most in J.P. Death (due to the political influence and principles he held fast to) and 2 was the aircraft tampered with. Failure to ask these? And eliminate them will always leave the conspiring theorists. To? The out come of the tsb final report. Once again my condolences to the family

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

upup_away wrote:
daedalusx wrote:
upup_away wrote:There has been some nasty weather over Western Canada lately.
A) No it hasn't. Not in CYLW lately.

B) Theres no wx that would cause you to go -2000fpm on a 500. Even on 1 engine.
Was there not a typhoon hitting western BC that day? Looking at the weather didn't seem very nice. Where did you get the-2000fm stat?
It in Flight Aware, their last reliable hit, I think.

I thought 120 knots and -2200 fpm gives a strange setup, no? That has to be pretty much power off, doesn't it?

CB?

The RCMP officer said in one of the stories that there were very heavy rains at the time.

Not sure if I have the crash site accurate, but it does seem that from the 7000 foot altitude to the last hit at 4800, he was able to maintain course, or at least roughly.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

oldncold wrote:Correct re solo pic jet the good thing is these days, Flt safety n Simcom won't issue spic jet to those ( good for all concerned,public and industry alike).that cut their training program. Which brings me to the dark side. As part of any normal investigation of hi profile individuals. One must ask the following? 1) who would gain the most in J.P. Death (due to the political influence and principles he held fast to) and 2 was the aircraft tampered with. Failure to ask these? And eliminate them will always leave the conspiring theorists. To? The out come of the tsb final report. Once again my condolences to the family
From the looks of it, I think this is going to be a difficult investigation. They won't be able to determine if medical factors were involved, everything looks to be in bits.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

oldncold wrote:Correct re solo pic jet the good thing is these days, Flt safety n Simcom won't issue spic jet to those ( good for all concerned,public and industry alike).that cut their training program. Which brings me to the dark side. As part of any normal investigation of hi profile individuals. One must ask the following? 1) who would gain the most in J.P. Death (due to the political influence and principles he held fast to) and 2 was the aircraft tampered with. Failure to ask these? And eliminate them will always leave the conspiring theorists. To? The out come of the tsb final report. Once again my condolences to the family
With respect, I don't think the political and sabotage investigations are really necessary. Jim Prentice was a moderate conservative who was greatly admired across the political spectrum.

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 7dirty7 »

Can someone pm me the name of the pilot? Oscar posted jk I hope it's not who I think it is :(

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

1st hit is 2min after takeOff doing 160kts at 4000', then 3000' per minute climb to 7000' at 150kt /3min mark. Next/last hit is down to 4800ft at 120kts, 4min after takeoff (the 3 radar hits info on flightaware, plus the take-off time given as 9:32 local).

Average flightaware speed is 130-140kts over the 4 min, which works out to about 8-9 nautical miles flown in that time, yet the distance between the airport to the accident site is 6 nautical miles and approx 1nm mile up. Winds near calm at surface at ylw 9pm local, so ASN "rwy16" info looks possible.

Last edited by pdw on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Autopilot fail & subsequent loss of control? SP-IFR, private ops, near vertical impact. Just speculating.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Attitude instrument failure not caught in time could do it.

One of the early Citation crashes happened because the pilot had jumped in and got in the air before the gyros had spooled up.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”