ATPL online ground school

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

diazjoaquin
Rank 0
Rank 0

ATPL online ground school

Post by diazjoaquin »

Good day
I am tempted to purchase the ATPL online course from pilottraining.ca and was wondering if any of you guys have used it and found it worth studying from? I am living in the NWT at the moment and would cost me some money to get down to Edmonton or Calgary for the aerocouse ground school which I have attended in the past and really liked. Amy help would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Viper32
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ATPL online ground school

Post by Viper32 »

I have used Harvs Air (pilottraining.ca) ground school for ATPL in the past, i found it very deep in theory but overall it explains what you need to know to do very well in the 2 ATPL Exams.

I have also looked at other books for ATPL and some which i have been satisfied with but in the end i found having done the pilottraining.ca ATPL course first then i bought the aerocourse ATPL workbook for review was perfect

did the job in the end for me.

hope that info helps

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

I didn't find it all that helpful to be honest.

I self studied with the *hane books and Aerocourse and managed good marks on both. Did them one at a time, one month on and off studying at a time.

The Sharper Edge book was a complete waste of time, and while the Harv's online thing worked great for my CPL and INRAT I didn't like the ATPL course all that much. It was OK but there is something about studying from a book though, especially the A's.

I see the above poster liked it, and everyone is a bit different.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Pros and cons. I used it last winter, did the exams one at a time, did well on both. I found it was great for a review of Met stuff (in addition to the AIM and the ACWM), but extremely useless/redundant/irrelevant for the 'modern' ATPL exams. Ended doing Aerocourse and it was excellent.

With hindsight if I were doing it over I would use the following resources:
- Aerocourse
- AIM
- ACWM
- CARS
- CapGEN/Chart Legends
- Internet/google

But ya, I would recommend not using pilottraining.ca for the ATPL as it was very out of date, disorganized, and redundant given that you're studying for the SARON and SAMRA, not the PPL etc.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
docbishop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by docbishop »

what about the CPL course ?
its mentioned elsewhere on the forum that the recommendation letter they provide is not recognised by TC, any similar experiences?

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

CPL course and the INRAT were good IMO. PPL was as well. I found though at the ATPL level things were a bit messy, unorganized and redundant. The standard book study was much more helpful.

I had the PPL recommend letter, and had issues with it at TC. Because I was not in the same region, they did not want to accept it. I had to go write a mock exam again at my flight school to get their recommend letter.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Hi guys,

From my side pilottraining.ca was just a waste of money and more importantly waste of time.

-The content is full of nice to know but not much of need to know.
-One of the instructors did not have a clue how to convert feet to meters.
- I found a discrepency with the AIM they never corrected it.
- I sent an email regarding missing paragraphs and never got any reply.

I reverted to accelerated aviation workbooks im on it right now and i feel more confident

This is my experience..good luck for the rest.

adampenner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by adampenner »

Thanks for the feedback on the ATPL.

We are constantly working on the material and we've been sharpening up some of the ATPL material earlier this week already. We are adding more "must know" indicators for the material on the exam, but still including all the material on the study guide. I don't want our courses to only be about the exam, but really expose the student to what the industry expects you to know.

I'm really bothered I didn't respond to your email/feedback, if you'd care to send it again I would certainly jump and respond. Sorry I missed it.

admin@pilottraining.ca
Adam

ericcorolla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ericcorolla »

meh...

Return to “Flight Training”