Leaving aviation

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Leaving aviation

Post by trey kule »

Short answer try something else before you invest in aviation. You will appreciate flying more.
It may be a short answer, but from my experience in aviation, wise words.
---------- ADS -----------

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

trey kule wrote:
Short answer try something else before you invest in aviation. You will appreciate flying more.
It may be a short answer, but from my experience in aviation, wise words.
Yes .... as impossible as it may seem .... there are other jobs worse than those found in aviation.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

FWIW...I was laid off for about a year and I found out one thing...the real world sucked. In spite of all the industries downfalls I learned that there was way more upside and I came to appreciate the job more than ever.

Came back to work for a great company and haven't looked back.

Just my own experience.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Nope, if you're thinking of leaving it, I'd wager you got into it without having your eyes wide open.

For me, no, but I have gotten into other side profession, some of which not aviation related, being a one trick poney ain't a good idea no matter what you do.

There are also, crazy talk here I know, non airline jobs which are quite nice.

I fly for a living, make good money, work every other week, single pilot in a great airframe (not a multi crew kinda guy), make a positive difference in people's lives, and am home every night, I also work out of the same airport I have my personal hangar at :mrgreen:

Besides right now would not be the time to leave, things are just starting to pick up over the last couple years.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

The 'holy grail' most pilots seek requires sacrifice after sacrifice after sacrifice to get to the top. Sometimes you just have to find a little corner of the industry and not necessarily hunker down, but just enjoy the pleasure of doing what you're doing and ignore the 'grass is greener' instagramers and FB posters, because even at the top end, you're sacrificing something (it's likely your health on a 14 hour overnighting HKG turn).

I still consider myself as being young in this industry, only about 5 years now. I got into aviation in my late 20's. I'm not at a major airline, but I do have an application into one. That being said, I'm not in any rush to leave my current employer as they treat me very fair. I have wanted to be a pilot since, goodness, I was in junior school. I have a degree outside of aviation, and I have worked outside of the flightdeck, so I know the other side of the coin. I've done the 9-5 and remember celebrating the weekend, and dreading monday.

I have friends (non-aviation, and mostly through my wife) who I talk to on a regular basis and when I hear them describing their day, they continue to remind me why I chose my career. I am so thankful for what I have experienced in aviation (the good, the cold and the occasional bad). It has made me the very appreciative SOB I am today.

That being said, I've seen some of my aviation friends walk away after a solid 10+ years of hard work (some very talented and big losses to the industry, and some not so much).

It all came down to the same feelings of progression, money and quality of life.

End of the day, the majors don't offer a competitive enough package to lure a lot of these experienced drivers, many of whom were making just shy of 100k. With packages starting at the mid 50's, and QOL a rough go for the first two seniority years, it's tough to sell that to anyone's spouse. The guys and gals who are 'happiest' are the ones at the regionals who are conditioned for the step up.

If I have to council anyone when entering the industry I always say, what is your goal? If it's airlines, then my advice it to get your butt to the regionals because otherwise your eyes are too wide and open to step over to the majors, and you're more likely to give up on your dream (obviously there are exceptions). The earlier people make those sacrifices, the easier the transition. It's the pilots who wait 10+ years that have the hardest transition, and they are more likely to make a choice based not on heart but on head. Wait...that came out wrong.....

To anyone leaving the industry, you have your reasons, we wish you the best with your new career. It is sad that an industry that lives in our dreams as a child has been mutilated into a beast, for many, as an adult.

Cheers,

S.

JDA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JDA »

Troubleshot wrote:I got into renewables basically by trying to figure out how my current skills/education could be easily transferred to a new industry. wind, solar, etc. is a fairly new industry and there isn't any real trade certification (yet) so I knew I wouldn't have to overcome that hurtle. The funny thing is my company is full of ex-aviation people, hell my CEO was evolved various VP roles at Beech, Bombardier, and Lockheed. Also, my boss was an A&P for years so he knew I could do it when he seen my resume come across his desk....he loves aviation people. The position I was hired for was Operations and Maintenance Manager and 5 years later I have been given two promotions, I am now the Regional Director for Canada, sounds fancy but basically I oversee all our assets in Canada and report to our office in the states.

The industry is interesting and it is neat to be apart of an advancing technology. I have personally been involved in the development of new turbine designs, which is very cool. I don't take credit for anything, I just offer up my suggestions to help increase reliability. The funny thing is you get noticed for exceeding expectations and rewarded. I was never (I repeat, never) even told "good job" in aviation....but there were plenty of times I deserved an "atta boy". Some people feel they don't need any "pats on the back" and I was one of them until I started to receive them, I was really surprised how much it made me want to push harder and really do my best...crazy I know.

I have no idea what renewables will look like in 20 years from now, but I am glad I am here. The advances in technology year over year is mind blowing.
PM'd you...

Oni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Oni »

here's one for ya>
I have been in the business for over 20 years. the current job will be shutting their doors shortly.. but extensive experience
I've had a few interviews this year.
seems to be they looked for excuses on anything. a good one was " we have you on file". nope sorry, we used to use that line when we interviewed people in our company

well, this week was the last straw.. interviewed with a company I have admired for a couple of years back in june. I was told how impressed they were with my experience ,etc. but needed to hire someone right away ( I was leaving the country for 10 days to see family I have put off seeing for 3 years thanks to good ole aviation).

told I was next on the list for hiring. I kept in touch with the Director of operations and the next thing they decided was to do sim evaluations . no sweat,,, sign me up....
I was more than prepared and re studied every inch of their website again in case the "chat" they wanted to do before the sim turned into another interview

now the sim,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, since they were both brand new on this,,, it was a regular gong show... the so called assistant chief pilot was clearly confused on what he was supposed to do acting as ATC.

both times I indicated to him we were on an unstable approach and tried to go along with it.., telling me to chase the glide slope down.. what ?? . he also admitted he wouldn't make it as ATC in the real world..

so yesterday , the news.... there is someone else with more qualifications IN THIS ROUND........... :rolleyes:

I have sent the company emails on what had happened and my total disappointment with the entire gig...
there you have it folks,,,, my two cents worth

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

PM's answered

WASIE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WASIE »

I left a year ago, after layoffs, pay cuts and the over all cynical nature of the business. Let me tell you the corporate world is very different then being on the line. Some may love flying and Kudos for them its very tough life. For me quality of life and pay were the determining factors for leaving. I now make triple and get to sleep in my own bed, and when I don't its in a nice hotel. I'd be lying if I don't look up at a contrail and wonder if one of my old buddies is at the helm and I do get the itch from time to time, but then I just go and rent a plane and that does it for me.

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

Heliian wrote:I was just considering that again today!

After being berated and constantly shit on by anyone with more "seniority" than me, being labeled "not a team player", working ridiculous hours at the last minute and then being told that after finishing at 0330 that I was lucky to get the following day off and should expect to work more on the weekend because of such, I certainly felt like getting out of this ridiculous business.

We should all be so lucky to be working for our respective employers as without them we would just be another idiot on welfare with no prospects :roll:

Licensed now for 15 years and fully fed up.

The only thing that keeps me doing this is the requirement to support my family but at some point the scales will tip and lifestyle will come before finances. I'm also stuck in a dead end job, unless there is a mass exodus of people with more seniority, I will never be allowed to fill any of the higher functioning roles.

I have a "dream job", but it's not my dream, somebody else's with less imagination.

But hey, the struggle will be the same no matter what industry right?

REALLY, the only way to find out if the grass is greener is to hop the fence and check it out.

Best of luck in all of your endeavors!
hi pleased to meet ya! haha nice to see someone else with a real perspective ! im doing my duty as a decent human being to warn young apprentices and hopefuls of the bs they will begin to find normal as an ame. nice to see someone else slapping a little reality on em. anyone with 2 braincells to rub together should heed thy warning!

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

Pat Richard wrote:[/color]

Welcome to reality and the dark side.[/quote]

ahhh i used to really enjoy yours and tellyourkidstogetarealjob 's posts

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

Troubleshot wrote:PM's answered
be expecting another one, when i get verified by a moderator...

Return to “General Comments”