Canadian Govt buys 18 Super Hornets

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Canadian Govt buys 18 Super Hornets

Post by Mick G »

AuxBatOn wrote:I am a current Hornet pilot and have some very intimate insights on its operations, given my position.
Sir. With due respect, even if somehow the F35 engine miraculously never fails, what about the unknowns such as bird ingestion? I would not want to be the one sitting in a $60M (USD) glider over frigid Arctic waters with help hours away at best. Its what our world is truly lacking nowadays, a serious lack of common sense.
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

And now you say I lack common sense. How about having data to back your claims up? What kind of bird flies at 20k in the winter in the Arctic?!

Going for the deck at corner
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Why does Canada even need these?

I mean it's kinda silly

Everyone know Canada is Americas hat, and America won't let anyone mess with their hat.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

AuxBatOn wrote:And now you say I lack common sense. How about having data to back your claims up? What kind of bird flies at 20k in the winter in the Arctic?!
AuxBatOn......who said anything about wintertime only and at 20K? Bird injestion is typically at MUCH lower altitudes and can happen year-round.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

You are the one talking about gliding down and iceberg up North and arguing against the JSF for that reason. When we fly up North for NORAD, we don't normally fly at low altitude. In any event, if you ingest a bird at low altitude and if your engine fails, you force land on a piece of concrete or eject and get picked up.

Do you have CF-18 engine failures due to bird ingestion data? Or even engine failure period?

I know that since 1988, we shut down 225 engines by precaution and the vast majority were sensor issues.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

AuxBatOn wrote:I know that since 1988, we shut down 225 engines by precaution and the vast majority were sensor issues.
I rest my case.

......but seriously, i have enjoyed this friendly banter and my interest is not adversarial, but is one which is born of the best interest for Canada and the men and women of the RCAF

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Engines shut downs don't mean engine failure even if the reason for the shutdown is not due to sensor issues. You don't rest your case because you don't have complete data.

Friendly advise: if you mean a friendly debate, don't call people arrogant, ignorant and lacking common sense...

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

AuxBatOn wrote: I hope we pick a good sensor package (APG-79 with Growler upgrade option).
How optimistic are you about this?

Mick G wrote: I would not want to be the one sitting in a $60M (USD) glider over frigid Arctic waters with help hours away at best. Its what our world is truly lacking nowadays, a serious lack of common sense.
Lack of common sense could also be why some people are convinced they have relevant facts and arguments about fighter operations to share with a current CF-18 pilot and qualified test pilot...

Think ahead or fall behind!
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Choosing of equipment should not be within the realm of politicians and changing governments. The RCAF should be given an allowance to purchase whatever equipment it needs and only be accountable for the dollars spent.

If that means buying 12 F-35s because it represents a better investment than 50 Super Hornets... ...or 150 Super Tucanos instead because quantity over quality.... ...the experts should decide.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I scanned through those CADOR's quickly and found I think 10 outright failures. Bear in mind this was only in Canada, and only back to 1993. It does not include failures outside Canada, failures not reported outside the military for security reasons, or failures occurring in the 10 years previous to that.

What it also cannot tell are the engines that would have failed had they not been deliberately shut down as a precaution, which a single would not enjoy the luxury of doing.

Still, that's 10 airframes and pilots recovered that wouldn't have been in an F35.

Like it or not, the single engine is an issue especially since any losses will not be replaced.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Rockie wrote: Still, that's 10 airframes and pilots recovered that wouldn't have been in an F35.
Half the number of engines, so let's say 5, and half the aircraft, so let's say 3, and 40 year better technology, so let's say 1... Most people flying the Hornet now do not share your opinion about this "issue". Get over it.

Think ahead or fall behind!
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

trampbike wrote:
Rockie wrote: Still, that's 10 airframes and pilots recovered that wouldn't have been in an F35.
Half the number of engines, so let's say 5, and half the aircraft, so let's say 3, and 40 year better technology, so let's say 1... Most people flying the Hornet now do not share your opinion about this "issue". Get over it.
No Trampbike, since I'm a taxpayer, and one with first hand experience with this issue, I don't have to "get over it". Engines quit - for all kinds of reasons. Having two of them makes it no big deal. Having one means the guaranteed loss of the airplane and possibly the pilot. Simple arithmetic.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

If we were in the design phase of the JSF, single vs dual engine would be a consideration. Right or wrong, for better or worse, it's a single engine airplane.

This may sound callous and culturally is a significantly different outlook from the normal, risk adverse, super redundant and conservative culture of commercial aviation; but, this is a tactical aircraft and if it's what is required to maintain air superiority - with an associated cost of lost air frames and potentially pilots, then that is considered "acceptable loss" and is the cost of doing business.

The merits of two engines are far overstated in this case. But, even with the draw backs of a single engine - the risks are known, they're accepted and there's a strong argument that they are necessary. The superiority of the JSF is so advantageous that losing an air frame and possibly a pilot every X hours (rather than every X+? hours in a SH) is well worth winning the battle, or hopefully deterring it from ever starting. In short, it's worth it. The extra risk is minor compared to the extreme advantage. Crews know the risks. It's the price of getting the job done. Inferior kit that will be dominated in a 5th Gen world, regardless of the number of engines isn't worth wasting money on.

This is political theatrics to make an appearance of pulling weight in NATO and buy an American aircraft, and probably has a lot to do with Trump's complaints (justifiable) of NATO members not pulling their weight. It's a tiny purchase and merely a show of optics to appease political pressures. It's "temporary" to allow the "open competition." Somehow the competition is planned to take 5 years and despite being "open" the gov't has promised to not buy one of the main competitors, openly admitting bias. 5 years is ridiculous and it's obviously kicking the can down the road to avoid the uncomfortable Liberal contradiction of both promising not buying JSF and yet also holding an "open" competition.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

AuxBatOn wrote:Pilot conversion is 2 sims and 1 flight. I have flown both (Hornet and Super Hornet) and they very much operate the same way. You don't need to open up a new squadron, you can use the two fleets in existing squadrons. Yes, the two aircraft are different but training our technicians will not be that difficult. The big changes are the radar, the hydraulic system (5000 psi vs 3000 psi), the electrical system (PMGs on the generators) and a bit of the flight control (same software but there is no mechanical reversion mode). Everything else is very similar.
A technical question if I might. What is the benefit of PMG's on the generators.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Mick G...

Please...the adults are talking and I am interested in what they have to say.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

I have personally seen half a dozen bird strikes in CF-18 engines. All but one caused a complete shut-down and what was revealed later, structural damage to the airframe. For the most part, unless the bird is the size of a Canadian goose, the engine won't even care nor will the pilot notice. The dual engine need is over hyped and frankly stupid considering the USAF will operate the F35 in Alaska. When an engine fails its catastrophic, meaning blades or components fly in all directions - including in the path of the other engine. The SH essentially shares the same F404 as our CF18 which has its own share of issues. Two geriatric engines are not safer.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

pelmet wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:Pilot conversion is 2 sims and 1 flight. I have flown both (Hornet and Super Hornet) and they very much operate the same way. You don't need to open up a new squadron, you can use the two fleets in existing squadrons. Yes, the two aircraft are different but training our technicians will not be that difficult. The big changes are the radar, the hydraulic system (5000 psi vs 3000 psi), the electrical system (PMGs on the generators) and a bit of the flight control (same software but there is no mechanical reversion mode). Everything else is very similar.
A technical question if I might. What is the benefit of PMG's on the generators.
PMGs are mostly there for powering the flight control computers in case of total electrical failure. No flight controls in a Hornet means ejection. Just a way to bring a sick bird back.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

frosti wrote:I have personally seen half a dozen bird strikes in CF-18 engines. All but one caused a complete shut-down and what was revealed later, structural damage to the airframe. For the most part, unless the bird is the size of a Canadian goose, the engine won't even care nor will the pilot notice. The dual engine need is over hyped and frankly stupid considering the USAF will operate the F35 in Alaska. When an engine fails its catastrophic, meaning blades or components fly in all directions - including in the path of the other engine. The SH essentially shares the same F404 as our CF18 which has its own share of issues. Two geriatric engines are not safer.
1. The F35's in Alaska will not be straying far from home and will stick mostly within their training area, where there is extensive SAR capability in place. They are also part of the force that could quickly deploy to Asia if necessary. A far cry from Canada.

2. The F35's Canada loses will not be replaced, and we are only getting the bare minimum to do the job as envisioned today.

3. Precautionary shutdowns, including the one I did, are done to prevent the engine from shredding itself and shedding parts. Can't do that in an F35.

4. Bird strikes are not the only reason engines quit. Of the ten I saw in the CADOR's birdstrike was not mentioned.

5. Far from being over-hyped and stupid, the engine issue has not been seriously considered as it was with the CF-18. In fact the dual engine redundancy of the CF-18 was one of the deciding factors given Canada's geography, climate, and inability to replace lost airframes.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Out of curiosity: What's a "Growler" upgrade? I'm guessing it isn't the carrying of a container of local craft brew behind the pilot's seat? :)

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Deleted.

Last edited by Old fella on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”