Pilot mobility agreement

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Pilot mobility agreement

Post by teacher »

atphat wrote:Jazz pilots are going BOTL. To be honest I don't think the average AC pilot gives it any thought.
:up: This should have happened decades ago. Everyone I've flown with and spoken to at mainline feels the same why, good for us, good for them.
---------- ADS -----------

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pilot Mobility Agreement

Post by dannyjet »

Thanks for the information shared.

What would be the most likely path to get hired by AC if I've had so far a career flying abroad?

Just like the OP, I always wondered where the other 20% came from but considering what has been posted here, that 20% OTS apparently refers to pilots flying for other regionals/companies in Canada that just aren't in the PML agreement. Is this how it really is?

I turned 30 not long ago and have logged +5000 hours jet time in narrow and wide bodies, all SIC though. At some point I would like to try to make the move to AC but it's difficult to guess when/how. Applying to a regional might seem like a downgrade in my case but if what was posted here is true, then that would be the only way to get in a career path at AC.

Also, am I correct in assuming that, based on the fact of the same FO salary for the first four years regardless of equipment (as shown on APC), once hired you can be assigned to any of the aircraft they have, depending on your experience and their need at that moment?

So in the case I "qualify" as an OTS candidate, which in my case is more like OTC (go figure) and have plenty of say B777 time, would AC most likely assigned me to that type for the first four years?

Thank you.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

777 is very senior and would never be assigned to a new hire as far as I know. You are given your type in the initial course and it is irrelevant as to what you came off of flying. Regionals will probably be your only hope since you have no PIC time and the OTS will be very competitive with guys that have some.

Ex99guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ex99guy »

dannyjet wrote:
So in the case I "qualify" as an OTS candidate, which in my case is more like OTC (go figure) and have plenty of say B777 time, would AC most likely assigned me to that type for the first four years?

Thank you.

So what did you pay for that type rating Dannyjet? Hardly believe this is a hypothetical.

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

@fish4life, thank you for the quick answer. This is what I thought too. So in the case OTS also means candidates that are in a situation like mine, it seems the best idea would be to stay abroad and wait for command to get PIC time in order to be competitive enough. Then, switch to AC accepting a position as a FO and its corresponding (lower) salary in a, most likely, narrow body. Hum.

@Ex99guy, I've paid with years of service, naturally. I don't agree paying money for a rating either.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

dannyjet wrote:@fish4life, thank you for the quick answer. This is what I thought too. So in the case OTS also means candidates that are in a situation like mine, it seems the best idea would be to stay abroad and wait for command to get PIC time in order to be competitive enough. Then, switch to AC accepting a position as a FO and its corresponding (lower) salary in a, most likely, narrow body. Hum.

@Ex99guy, I've paid with years of service, naturally. I don't agree paying money for a rating either.
Dannyjet, if you feel you MUST work for AC, it would seem the express carriers are your best shot. If you are happy where you are and would like AC but are open to other options, then waiting for PIC time and the OTS interview may suit you better. But keep in mind, the OTS door has been shut tight for some years now, and when it opens, the competition will be fierce. Military, defunct carriers, WJ/AT/SW pilots looking to move, turboprop captains, jet captains, you name it. I can only imagine how qualified the resumes are at the top of the OTS pile right now. Thankfully it's not all about flying experience, but you can bet it will be used to thin the herd.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

FWIW when making career plans with the sand constantly shifting under your feet.

The "PFO" rate for OTS interviewees at AC in the last several years has fluctuated between 75% and 85%. This may change in the future.

If you are young, a guaranteed interview with a 75% chance of success looks like a lot more of a sure thing than a hope for an interview with a 75% chance of failure. Statistically.

Another point worth mentioning, is that a 3 or 4 year degree is almost a per-requisite to get that OTS interview now at Big Red. This too may also change.

The only other piece of advice I would give is that flying is a wonderful profession if you love flying, and if that is the case, you will enjoy your career wherever it takes you. If you are not passionate about flying itself, and the whole purpose of your career is to make it to a particular carrier, you probably won't be happy even if you get there. Bail now and do something you love. YMMV.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I don't know anyone that has failed OTS interview with AC so I think your number is way off. They wouldn't fly people to Toronto and stick them interview them and stick them in the sim and stuff to fail 85% of them. Just doesn't make sense time or money wise. The training dept is very good. As long as you are trainable which is why they take people with degrees. I also don't think 75% of PML interviews are successful but I don't know enough that have done it to make a personal call on that. Just what I heard.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Jean-Pierre wrote:I don't know anyone that has failed OTS interview with AC so I think your number is way off. They wouldn't fly people to Toronto and stick them interview them and stick them in the sim and stuff to fail 85% of them. Just doesn't make sense time or money wise. The training dept is very good. As long as you are trainable which is why they take people with degrees. I also don't think 75% of PML interviews are successful but I don't know enough that have done it to make a personal call on that. Just what I heard.

Air Canada doesn't do a sim eval.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

But Jazz do.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

But we no talk about Jazz...ugh...Tarzan hungry

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

garfield wrote:But Jazz do.
And?

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Kind of surprising.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Several of the Jazz pilots that moved to AC via the PML were in their fifties.

Does anybody know if pilots are eligible for GDIIP after age 60?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote:Several of the Jazz pilots that moved to AC via the PML were in their fifties.

Does anybody know if pilots are eligible for GDIIP after age 60?
Yes. So long as you don't have a full pension. Then no. Imposed in FOS with the company submission. Likely to be challenged when someone gets denied.

You also get denied SERP for a year if you retire without a years notice. Again imposed in FOS. Again likely to be challenged when someone gets denied.

Put the two together and you have the potential for some significant economic pain if you are over 60 with a full pension and you get ill.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

With that said it's important to understand how our GIDIP works.

When hired you qualify for 1 year. At the start of your second year you qualify for 2 years. So on and so on until a max of 12.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Thx.

Because of the GIDIP formula, many of the older Jazz PML pilots have purchased third party loss of licence coverage. Premiums are risk based so for forty-something's it is not bad but for fifty-something's it gets quite pricey. Better safe than sorry.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

rudder wrote:Thx.

Because of the GIDIP formula, many of the older Jazz PML pilots have purchased third party loss of licence coverage. Premiums are risk based so for forty-something's it is not bad but for fifty-something's it gets quite pricey. Better safe than sorry.
Many younger pilots with families as well. Everyone should have something since if you cannot work you still need to live.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

@aV1aTOr I appreciate your informative answer, thank you!

Return to “Air Canada”