New apprentice tool questions

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: New apprentice tool questions

Post by ahramin »

I see a lot of AMEs talking about toolboxes so I thought I'd ask.

My father in law retired last year and sold all his tools but kept the toolbox for me. He made a reinforced frame with oversized wheels for it to sit in and I want it bad. Only problem is it's in Ontario and I'm in BC. Anyone know a way to move an empty 200 lb toolbox across the country without spending half the cost of the box?
---------- ADS -----------

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

Check with Freightliner or some other trucking company. It may not be as expensive as you think.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

As far as I know, Freightliner builds trucks, not operates them, but yes, it's worth a call to a freight forwarder. Try Manitoulin Transport. They're pretty accommodating and helpful.

Strapped to a skid with something protecting at least the corners, it will likely survive the trip OK. They’ll want dimensions and at least a rough estimate of weight when you call them.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

ahramin wrote:Anyone know a way to move an empty 200 lb toolbox across the country without spending half the cost of the box?
https://www.canadianfreightways.com/

Have used these guys lots of time. Tell 'em ya work for Jazz or AC and need to move your toolbox and you'll get a little discount.

Nightair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nightair »

The basic need want regarding tools is a timely process so don't fret over who has what brand of tools.
Go find an AME who has travelled considerably or does lots of Line Maint. They will have a great method of what is the basic tools they take to do maintenance while away from main base or if working the ramp. Their tool choices will all vary somewhat but will contain enough tools to do a basic 100 HR inspection and they will have played with what suits them for boxes and storage methods. Also their "away" kits are a basic starter kit for any AME coming out of school.

Tool Choices: This is a touchy subject, mechanics are very Brand Loyal but also finicky on which tools suit their purposes. Craftsman, Mastercraft, Snap-On, MAC etc etc, Buy tools that are good quality as you will likely be keeping them long term. Yes expensive to begin but these tools are what get us paid and allow us to buy better things!!! Come to work with tools you know will support the general tasks you will be assigned. You are not expected to run out and buy $$$$$ tools but your expected to have the basic tools suggested in school. Be aware also that companies are now requiring your tools to be accountable for their wareabouts so have them organized and a tool list provided.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Get a QUALITY, LARGE toolbox, preferably with a working space on the top. What wasn't mentioned here were snap-on swivel sockets 1/4 drive, 3/8 to 1/2 inch indispensible

zealer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zealer »

OP, that Canadian tire set you posted shows a regular price of $750 (at least for me). That same set regularly goes on sale for $200. It was last on sale a couple weeks before Christmas - I considered picking it up.

Me personally, I'd start with a Canadian tire set like you posted. The Maximum series of ratchets are a bit better than the regular Mastercraft. Shorter sweep and a better directional mechanism. Start cheap, and as others have suggested, see whatever seems to be consistently breaking and upgrade those specific tools. One thing to consider with Canadian tire socket sets is they often leave a couple sizes out when you buy a set. example, many metric sets from CT are missing 9mm,16mm,18mm. These aren't particularly common sizes, but it is annoying to run into a nut that is one of these sizes and when you go through your 1million piece Mastercraft set, it simply isn't there. Something to be aware of.happens with their Allen key sets as well. Anyway, as a weekend warrior working on crappy cars, CT stuff is good enough for me. That is my experience.

Also for lock wire pliers, you could check out Allstar Performance. I own a set, they serve me well. Not really sure how much better a snap on could be given the huge price difference, but I've never had a snap on version in my hand before, either.

cmc87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cmc87 »

The mastercraft kit you posted is actually on sale right now again for $200, FYI.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... p.html#srp

Return to “Maintenance”