Working for airlines sucks what else should I look into

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Working for airlines sucks what else should I look into

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Everything Rowdy said. Except I don't work for an airline.

Location. Schedule. Pay. Adventure.

I live in my hometown, average 12days of work (usually 4-6 overnights unless a long trip comes up) A pool of pilots so scheduling is very flexible. Making six figures. New airports all the time (8 different countries last year).

I feel a bit bad everyone can't have this kind of job. ;)
---------- ADS -----------

Everything's amazing right now, and nobody's happy.
- Louis CK
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

atphat wrote: I highly doubt you are an airline pilot with that attitude. If you are...the bush is probably where you should be anyways.
Would you mind elaborating on this? Is there a problem with bush pilots? Did you "rise above" bush flying as a career? Do you think you are superior? If so, how?

Edit: no need to be specific. Mainline? Regional?

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Haha, no doubt. Can't there be a ban here on sentences that end in "with that attitude." ?? :rolleyes:

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Superior. No. Do I work in a much more professional, safe enivromnment than I did in the bush? Absolutely. Are you saying in your experience bush flying and pilots are held to the same standards as airline folk?

Mainline

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

What I've found is that as my priorities have shifted, so has my idea of the perfect flying job.

My career progression is opposite to the majority of my co-workers in my present 705 job. I'm surrounded by guys and gals half my age who have held the 705 job on a pedestal, and who have done everything they could to fast track their career to said 705 job, without enjoying the views along the way.

And in hindsight, I probably spent a little too long taking the scenic routes and enjoying all the views, but I have no regrets.

If you're young and single, what's the rush to 705? Go fly floats, or skis, or tundra tires, or do some tours in Antarctica or Africa. Live a little. Enjoy aviation. You'll certainly be more interesting to do a 5 day pairing with, and you'll have a broader spectrum of not only the industry, but the world in general.

And then when you're 40 or 45, with a wife and kids and a mortgage, that 705 job might appeal to you in all sorts of new ways.

Remember, life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

atphat wrote:Superior. No. Do I work in a much more professional, safe enivromnment than I did in the bush? Absolutely. Are you saying in your experience bush flying and pilots are held to the same standards as airline folk?

Mainline
No. I've done both. I hold myself to the same standards either way. I guess in the "bush" the onus is more upon the individual to hold oneself to whatever standards one considers appropriate. Guess it also would depend on our definition of "bush"... are we talking a super cub collecting minnows, or a DC-3 in Antarctica? I'm not ready to cast aspersions on the work ethic of others, but saying someone with a poor attitude belongs in the bush, which is what you were saying, only insults those who prefer to toil outside the mainline, and makes assumptions as to their professionalism which may or may not in fact be true.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

I would agree with 180, except for the fact that if you enter an airline at 45, your quality of life will be inferior to all those who entered a decade earlier due to seniority. Being bottom of the list and missing holidays and birthdays is better done when you're young and single than with kids at 45.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Meatservo wrote:
atphat wrote:Superior. No. Do I work in a much more professional, safe enivromnment than I did in the bush? Absolutely. Are you saying in your experience bush flying and pilots are held to the same standards as airline folk?

Mainline
No. I've done both. I hold myself to the same standards either way. I guess in the "bush" the onus is more upon the individual to hold oneself to whatever standards one considers appropriate. Guess it also would depend on our definition of "bush"... are we talking a super cub collecting minnows, or a DC-3 in Antarctica? I'm not ready to cast aspersions on the work ethic of others, but saying someone with a poor attitude belongs in the bush, which is what you were saying, only insults those who prefer to toil outside the mainline, and makes assumptions as to their professionalism which may or may not in fact be true.
Good point. I am well aware there are some pros in the bush.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

atphat wrote:
Meatservo wrote:

Mainline
Good point. I am well aware there are some pros in the bush.
..and, I should say, that I learned a new respect for the airline pilots when I became one. It's just as important to know how to fly well at the airlines. No-one holds a monopoly on professionalism.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

DrSpaceman wrote:I would agree with 180, except for the fact that if you enter an airline at 45, your quality of life will be inferior to all those who entered a decade earlier due to seniority. Being bottom of the list and missing holidays and birthdays is better done when you're young and single than with kids at 45.
Chalk one up for 705'ers with socialized bidding. In 2016, I got both kids birthdays off, wife's birthday off, wedding anniversary off, and I have 10 days off over Christmas and New Years. I'm sure I won't be this lucky every year, but not all 705'ers run scheduling and vacations around seniority.

Now all that aside, it's true that 45 is probably a bit late to join the 705 world, and if I could do it all over again, I would have probably targeted 35, but like I said, I have no regrets to spending longer than usual on the scenic route. My younger counterparts will definitely be wealthier monetarily than I in the long run, but some life experiences...well, it's impossible to put a price tag on living life.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

180 wrote:Remember, life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey.
Isn't the destination in life just the grave at the end? 8)
Kidding aside, my couple seasons on float hasn't really helped my career progression much, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. It certantly did help my decision making, and taught me how to say "f**k this", pull a 180 and go somewhere else instead.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Air Force. You want to make decisions, that's the place.

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

I have to agree with 180, have some fun while your young and can actually handle the hard work and stress... you won't regret it!

You'll know when the time is right for you to "get out" even if getting out means going back or changing careers.

For me it was in my mid thirties when I became a father. I don't mind that pilots 15 or even 20 years younger than me make more money, there are literally millions of people out there in all walks of life that make more money than me! Good for them!

I am happy with what I have, and so lucky to be born in Canada.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Eugene_goostman wrote:Being gone over half the month. Low to moderate pay to start. Eventually make good money but then you are married to your company. Hanging out with people you barely know. Hotels suck. Flying is pretty boring if you are honest. Eating out sucks. I liked things better when I was a 703 pilot and actually flew airplanes and made decisions besides how I want my coffee.
You should take this attitude on the road and do a speaking tour of all this country's 703 operators...

Eugene_goostman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Eugene_goostman »

lownslow wrote:
Eugene_goostman wrote:Being gone over half the month. Low to moderate pay to start. Eventually make good money but then you are married to your company. Hanging out with people you barely know. Hotels suck. Flying is pretty boring if you are honest. Eating out sucks. I liked things better when I was a 703 pilot and actually flew airplanes and made decisions besides how I want my coffee.
You should take this attitude on the road and do a speaking tour of all this country's 703 operators...
I should. Basically said to my old boss when I saw him a couple weeks ago "too bad your pilots don't know that the most fun they'll ever have flying is right now."

Update. Still hate it.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

So, do something about it! I'm sure you could go back to 703/704, I don't know you but if your hate for the job your doing comes with you, you'll be poisoning the people around you. I hate working with people who don't want to be there and wish they would just go where they think they might be happier!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Eugene_goostman wrote:Update. Still hate it.
Ok, so how old are you, how senior are you, and what position do you have at your current employer? Also what are your personal circumstances in general, wife, kids etc?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

B208 wrote:Air Force. You want to make decisions, that's the place.
Were you ever in the Air Force?

pilotguy2017
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy2017 »

The airline world is awful, it keeps getting worse, I'm a 705 driver and I'm looking at my options to get out of it. All the brain childs in airline management can keep their cadets, I am seeing too many dangerous things to want to stay or end up associated with the first airline that has a major accident with hull loss and loss of life in Canada. My two cents.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

B208 wrote:Air Force. You want to make decisions, that's the place.

Oh yes. Basic will fix his attitude too :)

Return to “General Comments”