Working for airlines sucks what else should I look into

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Working for airlines sucks what else should I look into

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote:
B208 wrote:Air Force. You want to make decisions, that's the place.
Were you ever in the Air Force?

Currently.
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

B208 wrote:
Rockie wrote:
B208 wrote:Air Force. You want to make decisions, that's the place.
Were you ever in the Air Force?

Currently.
What do you do in the Air Force?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

If this ^ is going to turn into another Rockie/B208 love-in: :smt014 , then please drop it right now...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I'm just curious, won't be any fight from me. Having been in the Air Force and a Captain in the airlines I can't see any discernible difference between my authority and decision making responsibilities in civilian aviation versus my life in the military. I was simply curious what B208 is doing that he does.

The lack of decision making that concerns the OP is the factor here, which is an odd thing to say since the PIC is ultimately and solely responsible for the safety every flight. That requires a lot of decision making.

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

Last edited by livinlife on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Eugene_goostman wrote:Being gone over half the month. Low to moderate pay to start. Eventually make good money but then you are married to your company. Hanging out with people you barely know. Hotels suck. Flying is pretty boring if you are honest. Eating out sucks. I liked things better when I was a 703 pilot and actually flew airplanes and made decisions besides how I want my coffee.

Should I get out of the airlines and go back? Is there another line of work such as corporate that is okay or does that suck as well?
Hey you could go to university, get 40K in debt, have crappy job prospects, then get said job and rot sitting behind a desk with no view. Work 5 days a week, while commuting 2+ hours because you can't afford to live near you work. You hate your job, lets be honest, but you enjoyed yourself in high school and all you had to worry about was what to wear and you which party to attend.

Now to be serious, No you shouldn't. I was in your shoes 11 years ago. I HATED my life at Jazz and damn near quit to go back up north. A venue change was what was needed. Now WJ is just a job, a good one that affords me to enjoy myself outside of work, not be defined by me being a pilot. There are pro's and cons in every aspect of life, sounds like you need to find some hobbies.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

lownslow wrote:
Eugene_goostman wrote:Being gone over half the month. Low to moderate pay to start. Eventually make good money but then you are married to your company. Hanging out with people you barely know. Hotels suck. Flying is pretty boring if you are honest. Eating out sucks. I liked things better when I was a 703 pilot and actually flew airplanes and made decisions besides how I want my coffee.
You should take this attitude on the road and do a speaking tour of all this country's 703 operators...
Nothing stops you from going back!

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote:I'm just curious, won't be any fight from me. Having been in the Air Force and a Captain in the airlines I can't see any discernible difference between my authority and decision making responsibilities in civilian aviation versus my life in the military. I was simply curious what B208 is doing that he does.

The lack of decision making that concerns the OP is the factor here, which is an odd thing to say since the PIC is ultimately and solely responsible for the safety every flight. That requires a lot of decision making.
I am a pilot and I enjoy the officership aspects of the job. If one picks their secondary duties, (OpsO, UFSO), or takes advantage of other opportunities, (ALO, etc...) there is plenty of opportunity to exercise your decision making skills; It's somewhat like being a management pilot at AC from what I'm told. Depending on the community you wind up in, you may be making a lot more decisions than your civil counter parts. For example, ATG requires its crews to do quite a bit of planning and decision making WRT mission accomplishment; This is the sort of thing that dispatch would take care of in an airline. I can't speak for the other communities because I have limited exposure. Perhaps some MAG, FTR or TACHEL guys would like to chime in.
Having been in the Air Force and a Captain in the airlines I can't see any discernible difference between my authority and decision making responsibilities in civilian aviation versus my life in the military
Just curious; I know you were a fighter guy; Are you saying taking an A320 from CYYZ to CYVR is on par with taking a CF188 (operationally) into Kosovo in terms of decision making while in flight? I have no exposure to either, so I'll accept your call on the matter.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

B208 wrote:Are you saying taking an A320 from CYYZ to CYVR is on par with taking a CF188 (operationally) into Kosovo in terms of decision making while in flight?
Depends on the day really. While no one is shooting at you there are no shortage of threats and planning involved in the safe execution of a flight going for instance to YYT late on a crappy winter night. As I said, the PIC is solely responsible for deciding what's safe, what isn't safe, and when to bail out. There are mostly routine flights and some not so much, same as flying fighters.

Point taken on the secondary duties of which I've done my share. Although I had input I can't say I was a major decision maker on standing war plans or NBCW policy though. Planning deployments was fun though and could be a lot of work, but then again so is taking the kids to Disney World.

share-once
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by share-once »

I had a few times that I was VERY unhappy with my job. Every time it turned out I was relativizing it the wrong way. Sense of entitlement. Time later, months, maybe years, it turns out I was wrong (don't tell my wife-she still believes I am always right)
Every job you will run into yourself after a few years. Get a dog, cat, lease dog, get a life. There is a lot of joy in crop dusting, or float flying in the NWT, or even airline flying, but it's still just a job.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Did you quit like a lotto winner or something? Key the bosses truck? Pee or poop in a desk drawer? Sounds like you can't go back. Tell us what happened.

Return to “General Comments”