Helo to Plank

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

offshoreuber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Helo to Plank

Post by offshoreuber »

After 20+ years in the offshore world hauling rig-trash back and forth in Mediums (AW-139, S-76's etc) my company has managed to mis-manage itself down the rabbit hole and now after 4 months in lay-off, recall hopes are fading faster than Hillary Clinton's limelight...

I hold about 9000 hrs an ATPL-H and a Gr IV Inst rating but only a PPT for fixed wing.

Possibilities exist for funding under EI for conversion to a Comm. Fixed Wing with Inst. but I'd appreciate your candid, sordid and illuminated opinions on the odds of being able to re-muster into the plank world at age 54.
---------- ADS -----------

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Helo to Plank

Post by 7dirty7 »

I would think it would be the same as a fix wing guy going rotary. Sure you have decision making skills but no actual fixed wing flying experience so I would think it would be pretty tough to get anything that you could support a family on right away. Just my guess though.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Transport Canada needs experienced Helo guys, have you thought of applying ?

offshoreuber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by offshoreuber »

7dirty7 wrote: Sure you have decision making skills but no actual fixed wing flying experience .
Well...about 2000hrs in singles, wheels and floats (PA-18, C-180's and a bit of Caravan time) but still only a PPL with night.

7dirty7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 7dirty7 »

Well that helps a lot! Do you know anyone working at a fixed wing company that could help you get a job?

offshoreuber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by offshoreuber »

7dirty7 wrote:Well that helps a lot! Do you know anyone working at a fixed wing company that could help you get a job?
Most of my contacts are, of course, in the helo world. I have friends who took the fw route and are now seniors in the majors but I don't think that I'm realistically eligible for a slot there....I'm thinking more like B1900 or 208's or KingAirs or Twotters...as a first leg..but the reality of it is is that I'm up against those 1/2 my age.....or less...

Egres
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Egres »

It all depend on where you wanna live but I'm sure lots of operator would like you 9000 total with 2000 fix wing which I assume is mostly pic!! If you can get your cpl with the ei go for it

Simpleton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Simpleton »

Try Guardian out of Springbank.

Return to “Employment Forum”