Getting quantities of AVGAS for Hunting Camp

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Cliffy100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting quantities of AVGAS for Hunting Camp

Post by Cliffy100 »

Hi Guys,

I'm in quebec and I am looking for 2 things:

1. A supplier that sells AVGAS in barell in either montreal or even cheaper Ottawa.

2. Avgas electric pump setups. I am on the side of the water and would like to setup a fueling station, any one with experience?

Thanks

Cliffy
---------- ADS -----------

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Getting quantities of AVGAS for Hunting Camp

Post by BGH »

When I needed a couple of barrels of avgas delivered to the bush I called up one of the bulk fuel suppliers & asked them if they sold avgas - advised of the barrel deposit & delivery charge & was asked where I wanted it dropped off & who would sign for it.
It was a lot more expensive to purchase in a barrel so it might be cheaper to get a couple of barrels & head to the local airport to fill them.
I should add that their bulk fuel sales listed were diesel,propane & car gas - I had to ask about avgas & they had to check to make sure that they could get it & at what cost.

Daryl

Cliffy100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cliffy100 »

Thanks!

I found one supplier and it came to over 2.65$ a L! Crazy when buying it by the barrel!!

I'm going to start looking for clean empty fuel barrels and pump at my airport, unless anyone else has a suggestion?

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Not sure if you're in a remote part of Quebec or not, but regardless, $2.65/litre is pretty outrageous.

Here we have no choice but to buy 100LL in drums. It works out to about $1.90/litre, and we're 400-miles from the end of the road, 90-miles north of the arctic circle.

Cliffy100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cliffy100 »

I know! 5
That was the price for pickup in downtown Montreal!!!

Any one in Montreal have any connections for 100LL drums, I'd even drive to Ottawa!!!

l_reason
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by l_reason »

I would find yourself a few barrels, put them in the back of a 1/2 ton and head down to smith falls airport. I think they have the cheapest fuel in the area and it's an automated pump. If you leave the barrels in the truck I'd make sure you connect the ground wire to the barrel. You'll save about $1/L.

I'd guess you'll land up with a 12v pump setup, check princess auto. Just make sure it's for gas not Diesel.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

l_reason wrote:I would find yourself a few barrels, put them in the back of a 1/2 ton and head down to smith falls airport. I think they have the cheapest fuel in the area and it's an automated pump. If you leave the barrels in the truck I'd make sure you connect the ground wire to the barrel. You'll save about $1/L.

I'd guess you'll land up with a 12v pump setup, check princess auto. Just make sure it's for gas not Diesel.

I'll second that for CYSH prices. It's been the cheapest in the area regularly for years, it probably still is. Just checked on their website: 100LL (24/7) $1.633 per litre (incl. 13% HST).

Otherwise I'll PM you contact info for two aviation fuel suppliers, check with them and see what they may offer you, it will be wholesale price but the charge for delivery and other small taxes and fees may surpass the cost of you buying it yourself in barrels.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

jg24 wrote:I'll second that for CYSH prices. It's been the cheapest in the area regularly for years, it probably still is. Just checked on their website: 100LL (24/7) $1.633 per litre (incl. 13% HST).
Yikes! I'm only paying $1.30 in the northern Yukon.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:
jg24 wrote:I'll second that for CYSH prices. It's been the cheapest in the area regularly for years, it probably still is. Just checked on their website: 100LL (24/7) $1.633 per litre (incl. 13% HST).
Yikes! I'm only paying $1.30 in the northern Yukon.
Yeah, sometimes we catch a break in the north. Here (maybe the same in the Yukon) the government is the purchaser, and if they have a competent person doing the buying, they get a good price. I suspect the fuel we're using now was purchased in May of last year, right about the time the price of oil hit rock bottom.

Current prices:
Diesel fuel (p50) - $1.16
Heating Fuel (p50)- $1.06
Jet A - $1.63
Mogas - $1.20
100LL (drums) - $1.90

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

$700.00 / drum incl. $50.00 deposit... so $3.17 / ltr last summer in YVP My pump is GPI, not sure what make the filter is, but electric is way better than "wobble" pumps, unless you're talking about a couple of drums. If it's for the season then electric is the way to go and a small solar panel will keep your battery charged and enough hose to not have to move the drum around once you have it where you need it to be. Might try Avjet Holdings or Petro T in Montreal. Not sure where to direct you? Northern Quebec is a big place.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Thinking about it, I've bought 100LL by the drum and had it delivered to the lake in Matagami if that is anywhere close to your location.

Cliffy100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cliffy100 »

I would need delivery to either Montreal, Baie Comeau
Or Manic 5

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Cliffy100 wrote:I would need delivery to either Montreal, Baie Comeau
Or Manic 5

check your PMs

c185guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by c185guy »

We used to be able to purchase drums of 100 LL from Hubert (Shell) in Maniwaki - 1.5 hrs north of Ottawa.
Another option which I have done is show up at the airport with 4 certified empty drums on a trailer and just fill them up at the pump.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

If you have not fueled from drums before, buy a dozen donuts and go talk to the helicopter guys. Look at their pump setups, and how they inspect, tilt, filter etc. Then modify it. With a bit of work and a $100 of quick couplings, a bit of modification to a bung, and refuelling from drums is easy peasy.
Filters are important.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”