50hr float programs??

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

LOFT stands for Line-Oriented Flight Training (the practical side of CRM), which doesn't really mean all that much on its own. It's basically training on how crew make decisions and get along.

We did a bit of it at Sault College. It's mostly "common sense, give and take, don't be a wiener in the cockpit and don't punch the captain in the face on take-off because he's an ass" training.

I'm assuming it is taught here and there because some pilots are super-heroes with big egos who never learned how to play with other kids in the sand-box when they were little. Or conversely, other pilots are just really quiet, and assume the other guy knows what he's doing.

Long explanation for a short acronym. Here's a good website for acronyms.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

-istp
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I am flying down to Turkey tonight in a B767 on the flight deck as an observer with two pilots that fly the Cat with me and I asked the Captain who is a training instructor what LOFT means to him here in Europe and he explained that it means line training excluding MOFT ( manouvering oriented flight training ).

It is normally done in the Simulator but can also be done during operational flights.

The reason I asked about using the acronym LOFT when dealing with float planes is that I have never heard of any bush operation using that term to describe how they teach pilots....but what the hell I work in so many segments of aviation that I sometimes have to ignore all the hype and just use common sense and concentrate on the task at hand...such as how to out think the airplane and not wreck the thing concentrating on trying to remember all this new age stuff like LOFT.. :mrgreen:

By the way, it is really unusual in todays paranoid atmosphere to get authorization to fly on an international flight on the flight deck, especially here in Europe...but it helps to know the right people....and have enough influnce that they offer these perks....

And finally I will get to compare a Boeing to an Airbus...... :smt006

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

To Cat Driver

Post by trey kule »

Go for it. Experience is a good thing

Send me a private email if you want to know details

Brew
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Brew »

I would be very careful when choosing a school for the supposed "bush course". Our company got a company from Ontario to do some REAL bush flying for us and we were told that the owner himself would be the one flying. He was apparently a real bush pilot with lots of experience and their company offers a bush pilot program and an advanced bush course. Here's the kicker; the guy couldn't moor his airplane to save his life. It was hilarious, he tied it up as though he was tying up his shoelaces. Not to mention that he complained the whole time about not being able to have his airplane tied to a proper dock. Oh and when asked to spend one night camping with a group of people he flat out refused-I guess bush flying in his mind means leaving from a nice fancy dock, do a little sightseeing and then come home to all the amenities!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”