So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by fish4life »

Also other than dentistry I can't think of a 4 year degree that costs more than 6-7k/ year so I don't know how someone gets 80K out of with our subsidized university rates.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by Broken Slinky »

fish4life wrote:Also other than dentistry I can't think of a 4 year degree that costs more than 6-7k/ year so I don't know how someone gets 80K out of with our subsidized university rates.
I was just under $14k a year tuition alone. That was 20+ years ago. International and out of state rates are typically double to triple residential or in state. $80k is not a shock to me and we're planning $100k plus for when our daughters go.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by Gannet167 »

fish4life wrote:Also other than dentistry I can't think of a 4 year degree that costs more than 6-7k/ year so I don't know how someone gets 80K out of with our subsidized university rates.
$7-8k per year is pretty low for tuition alone, although there are still some schools that low. An undergraduate business degree can be $18k a year in tuition alone. Add to that student services fees which easily are several hundred a semester, $500 to $1000 for books and/or lab supplies, bus pass / parking permit, rent, food, some living costs and it's easy to be $20k per year for undergraduate university studies. I spent over $12k a year back in late 90's and early 2000's, and I was so frugal I wore the same pair of shoes for 3 of those years. All of it funded by summer and night shift jobs and student loans.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2610
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Sidney, BC
Contact:

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by AirFrame »

$80K/yr probably includes room and board. It would have to.

In 1994 when I completed my degree, it was about $2.5K/yr in tuition, $10K total. Books were another $500-700/yr.

In 1997 when I completed my PPL, it worked out to about $5700. It was about $100/wk for just over a year. Oh, and that includes the cost of a DC headset, Cencal flight bag, and an iCOM handheld.
---------- ADS -----------
 
sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:59 am

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by sampsonmcd »

Rookie50 wrote:
Laser Tilt wrote:I have two kids in University and will be paying $80,000 each for their four year undergrad science degrees. Who know if they will get jobs so the investment doesn't sound so out of line.

I'm honestly curious how many of today's professional pilot program students are fully paying their own way.

When one pays for every dime themselves it does wonders for focus and work ethic.
Most guys I work with are 23, instructing and drive sports cars...I'm guessing they didnt pay their own way!

I dropped 65K on a east coast flight school, another 10K for an instructor rating. Already paid for a 35k degree beforehand. All on my "own"...( lots of debt). I make shit money now instructing, credit rating is taking a hit...but Jazz is hiring....maybe in 15 years I can buy a house on my massive regional pilot salary.

I knew what I was getting myself into though. Pilots dont really seem to help other pilots though, funny how there is no protection for instructors out there.

Happy flying
---------- ADS -----------
 
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 am

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by timel »

Around MTL it can go from 55000$ (<< I saw a price submition about this one) up to 80000$.
---------- ADS -----------
 
dogone
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by dogone »

Not scientific but interesting; Talking to several people who have gone through various flight schools/ colleges I hear that only 40% are still in the flying business after 10 years. This is from people who have kept in touch with other students. At least some of the fall outs I know had bought C310s to Merlins to build time (Fairly well to do). If spending money doesn't get you a job, what will.
My CPL came from the 70's and I think about half got to fly if they wanted, a surprising number of people just got a comm for the hell of it then. My com was associated with other business so worked out well.
A full comm was about $4500 then and would pay back in about a year or so flying Cessna singles and such. I t seemed to take longer to get into a twin then.
---------- ADS -----------
 
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
Location: the stars playground

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by SuperchargedRS »

If you're paying 80k+ for a BS in BS you're a fool.

And the only reasons this stupid "degrees" and SOO expensive is banks fork out the loans for them, if it wasn't for that they couldn't charge that much because no one could/would pay a mortage payment for their kid to get a degree which doesn't land a awsome ROI.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bubbestr
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by bubbestr »

Don't worry there is not a pilot shortage. It is full of unemployed pilots, there is not too much request and you do not gain too much money. After those 80k you need to pay more money to get a bit of experience otherwise nobody will care about you. Even more, it is very expensive to renew your license.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:24 am

Re: So I walked into a flight school and asked how much flight training was these days...

Post by Ironman2909 »

Did my CPL-Multi IFR in 2000 in YQB, just after finishing university. Then joined RCAF in 2004 because of disappointment of the state of third level aviation company. If I recall, ended up costing me around 45k at that time. Count on that an Multi-IFR renewal.....approx 5k.

Now I've heard 65-70k and that's without any other rating (Instruc., Floats, Tail drag, etc...). And now they use more and more stationary sims to control the costs of the license.

Went to CYHU not too long ago and schools are filled up with Asians and European candidates. It's still cheaper in Canada than most other places around the globe!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”