Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
The psych eval picks out people that misrepresent themselves. The secret is to tell the truth, not what you think you should say, or what you think they want to hear, or what makes you look good/bad. Read the questions carefully and be honest even if you think it makes you look bad. You're not smart enough to outsmart it.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
That’s exactly what I did…Maybe that other guy is right and I just fell out the bottom.altiplano wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 9:14 am The psych eval picks out people that misrepresent themselves. The secret is to tell the truth, not what you think you should say, or what you think they want to hear, or what makes you look good/bad. Read the questions carefully and be honest even if you think it makes you look bad. You're not smart enough to outsmart it.
Oh well, i’ll give it another shot in 6 months.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
don't worry even pilot d melo got hired eventually!
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
I'm going to play devil's advocate and it's not going to be a popular opinion. At what point do you or anyone else believe that just because references are called, you are ever entitled to a job offer? Any company can hire or reject you for any reason they see fit. It could even be your eyebrows for all you know. I get the frustration but never let it turn to entitlement.Jon_Doe wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:17 pm Title is pretty self explanatory, I im sitting here blindsided as @#$! after getting the pfo even tho my references were called, i did the background check and the psych evaluation.
My references obviously gave me good one, I have nothing on any background check, which only leaves somehow failing the psych evaluation?
Anyone have insight on getting the no this deep into the process? The rejection email said I was eligible to reapply in 6 months. Just really bummed out and shocked right now.
I learned that lesson after 2 rejections in aviation after thinking I was a shoe in based on many factors. Anyways, the good news is that the 'rejection' includes an invitation to reapply in 6 months. That's better than "we wish you the best in your endeavours" email with no invitation. Take the temporary L and reapply in 6. Many have gotten this and been successful 6 months later. Be that statistic. Good luck!
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Appreciate the insight, but I never felt entitled to the job. I just genuinely thought they didnt bother with background checks or references unless they 100% planned on hiring you.rooster wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:46 pmJon_Doe wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:17 pm Title is pretty self explanatory, I im sitting here blindsided as @#$! after getting the pfo even tho my references were called, i did the background check and the psych evaluation.
My references obviously gave me good one, I have nothing on any background check, which only leaves somehow failing the psych evaluation?
Anyone have insight on getting the no this deep into the process? The rejection email said I was eligible to reapply in 6 months. Just really bummed out and shocked right now.
I'm going to play devil's advocate and it's not going to be a popular opinion. At what point do you or anyone else believe that just because references are called, you are ever entitled to a job offer? Any company can hire or reject you for any reason they see fit. It could even be your eyebrows for all you know. I get the frustration but never let it turn to entitlement.
I learned that lesson after 2 rejections in aviation after thinking I was a shoe in based on many factors. Anyways, the good news is that the 'rejection' includes an invitation to reapply in 6 months. That's better than "we wish you the best in your endeavours" email with no invitation. Take the temporary L and reapply in 6. Many have gotten this and been successful 6 months later. Be that statistic. Good luck!
Lesson learned.
-
co-joe
- Rank 11

- Posts: 4820
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:33 am
- Location: YYC 230 degree radial at about 10 DME
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Next time definitely answer yes that you've always wanted to be a florist.
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
What on earth does this have to do with entitlementrooster wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:46 pm
I'm going to play devil's advocate and it's not going to be a popular opinion. At what point do you or anyone else believe that just because references are called, you are ever entitled to a job offer? Any company can hire or reject you for any reason they see fit. It could even be your eyebrows for all you know. I get the frustration but never let it turn to entitlement.
I've been a reference for some pilots as well. If the prospective airline calls me, I most certainly hope they respect my time enough to only enquire about pilots they actually plan on hiring. If they don't like my answers and decide not to hire them because of that: fair. But spend 20 minutes talking to me and then decide that you won't hire them because you don't like the university where they got their degree for example is just a waste of time for everyone involved.
So no, people don't think they are entitled to a job when their references are called, but there's certainly an expectation that once you make it to that point, the decision pretty much hinges on said check.
I'm not entitled to a green light after waiting at a red light, but I'm cetainly expecting the light to change at some point.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
- flying4dollars
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1532
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:56 am
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
Sure, companies can hire who they like but as already mentioned, what would the point of calling references be if the interview itself wasn't satisfactory to the interviewers. Also, nobody will list references that won't be helpful to them. So yeah if references are getting called, then there should be an expectation that your interview went well and you reasonably expect to make it to the next step.rooster wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 3:46 pmI'm going to play devil's advocate and it's not going to be a popular opinion. At what point do you or anyone else believe that just because references are called, you are ever entitled to a job offer? Any company can hire or reject you for any reason they see fit. It could even be your eyebrows for all you know. I get the frustration but never let it turn to entitlement.Jon_Doe wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:17 pm Title is pretty self explanatory, I im sitting here blindsided as @#$! after getting the pfo even tho my references were called, i did the background check and the psych evaluation.
My references obviously gave me good one, I have nothing on any background check, which only leaves somehow failing the psych evaluation?
Anyone have insight on getting the no this deep into the process? The rejection email said I was eligible to reapply in 6 months. Just really bummed out and shocked right now.
I learned that lesson after 2 rejections in aviation after thinking I was a shoe in based on many factors. Anyways, the good news is that the 'rejection' includes an invitation to reapply in 6 months. That's better than "we wish you the best in your endeavours" email with no invitation. Take the temporary L and reapply in 6. Many have gotten this and been successful 6 months later. Be that statistic. Good luck!
The only way I can see otherwise, is if something was alerted to the company that caused concern about the individual in question, or another scenario I can't right now think of.
-
Eric Janson
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1531
- Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am
Re: Rejected after references checked, background checked and psych evaluation.
No hiring procedure is 100% effective. It's a snapshot at best.
Good people don't make it through and idiots get hired. Seen it over and over again.
I've dodged a couple of bullets over the years by not getting hired - it can take a few years sometimes to realise that they did you a favour!
Good people don't make it through and idiots get hired. Seen it over and over again.
I've dodged a couple of bullets over the years by not getting hired - it can take a few years sometimes to realise that they did you a favour!
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business


