Page 2 of 2

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:54 am
by Slurms Mackenzie
the reason these guys go through guys fast is lots of pussies go to flight school. if this is your first job ( i mean 1st job, not just in aviation) then you will be in for a steep learning curve, but at least it's not winter! if you have experience at working hard, then no big adjustment

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:57 am
by Slurms Mackenzie
also, FNT has never had it's OC pulled.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:48 am
by Donald
I just love how people that enjoy putting up with bullsh*t and ridiculous working conditions, have to resort to putdowns of intelligent people who say "no". They need to do this to justify to themselves that they are not morons.
Slurms Mackenzie wrote:the reason these guys go through guys fast is lots of pussies go to flight school. if this is your first job ( i mean 1st job, not just in aviation) then you will be in for a steep learning curve, but at least it's not winter! if you have experience at working hard, then no big adjustment
I will agree with the second statement (steep learning curve/1st job) however.

At least Cat tells it like it is, without resorting to childish schoolyard insults.


FWIW I have absolutely no experience with FNT or their operation, but this antic seems to be status quo for the employees of many less-than-stellar northern ops.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 am
by Slurms Mackenzie
I don't work at FNT. It bugs me when people talk smack about outfits they don't really know anything about. The guy teaching you there is unmatched in experience, and you will learn alot about the business. Look at it this way, the next job you have will seem easy. "Northern" doesn't always mean bad.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:53 am
by Chuck Ellsworth
You need exercise to remain healthy.

Some people pay to belong to exercise clubs to keep their physical strength to a high level.

So what is the problem getting paid to exercise and as a bonus getting trained to fly a real airplane?

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:34 pm
by Donald
There is no problem with working hard, and learning how to fly from the experienced guys (and gals).

There is a problem with working 16 hour days, 7 days a week.

When you see your co-workers all bailing for "easy" or "real" jobs, and you feel the need to attack them (They couldn't hack it/They are bunch of wimps/They are pussies), take a step back and ask yourself if you are a pilot or a slave who gets to fly the dead legs.

Again I repeat, there is nothing wrong with working hard or learning from the folks who have "been there and done that".

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:48 pm
by synthpro
GUYS GUYS GUYS... LET ME PUT MY FINAL 2 CENTS IN.

DURING ONE OF THOSE MORNINGS FLYING BESIDE JEFF AT FNT.... I WAS WORKING OUT MY HOURLY PAY WAGE. SINCE I WAS ON STRICT SALARY FOR $750 / WEEK (BEFORE TAX).... AT 90 - 100 HOURS A WEEK X 2. THAT WORKED OUT TO $3.75/ HOUR. ENOUGH SAID...

EVERYONE SCOFFS AT PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR FREE IN THIS INDUSTRY.... WELL THIS... IS PRETTY MUCH WORKING FOR FREE!! I MADE MORE MONEY WORKING AT MCDONALDS WHEN I WAS 15!

AND YO... . NORRIS OR WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS... IM NOT LAZY... NOT AT ALL MAN. FAR FROM IT. I WAS IN THE INFANTRY FOR 4 YEARS, WORKED ALL MY LIFE, ALWAYS HAD A JOB... BUT HONESTLY... THIS WAS JUST A QUESTION OF

A) BEING EXPLOITED AND NOT WANTING TO ACCEPT IT

AND

B) I LOVE HAVING A FLYING CAREER... BUT I WANT IT TO STAY THAT WAY... AS A CAREER... NOT MY ENTIRE LIFE... AND WHEN YOUR WORKING 14 HOUR DAYS... 7 DAYS A WEEK.... YOU PRETTY MUCH ARE LEFT WITH NO LIFE. AND IT AINT LIKE I QUITED AFTER 3 DAYS. I GAVE IT A GOOD GO AT IT.. STAYED FOR 2 AND A HALF WEEKS JUST TO MAKE SURE I GOT THE WHOLE PICTURE.... AND THIS PATTERN PRETTY MUCH STAYED THE SAME FOR THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH...

BOTTOM LINE.. I WILL NOT WORK FOR 4 DOLLARS AN HOUR... NOT GET PAID OVER TIME... AND NOT HAVE DAYS OFF.... SO DON'T TELL ME I'M LAZY... IT WAS MY CHOICE.. AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE RIGHT ONE.

SYNTHPRO

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:04 pm
by Mr. North
Slurms Mackenzie wrote:also, FNT has never had it's OC pulled.
Slurms Mackenzie wrote:I don't work at FNT. It bugs me when people talk smack about outfits they don't really know anything about.
Well Slurms when I worked there they had just gotten their OC back after a month long suspension. That was in the fall of '06 and they were scambling to get back on track with the one airworthy aircraft they had left (they ended up leasing another DC3 from Ottawa). If you really want to join a slavedrive outfit that cuts all sorts of corners then look no further.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:42 pm
by Chuck Ellsworth
AND YO... . NORRIS OR WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS...
My name is exactly as it shows when I logged in.

If you were not being payed enough for the work you were doing and you left that is your choice and I did not suggest you were lazy.

I have never worked for FNT so I believe what you say....you did say the owner was a good teacher and flying a DC3 is far more satisfying than a small turbo prop....at least I think so.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:26 pm
by Doc
I'd rather spend an hour or two getting root canal work.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:18 am
by bob sacamano
I concur about the OC being pulled in 06. I flew some of their mechanics around prior and post that, and they confirmed it.

Breaking all CARs and rules is all fun and games until you burnout and forget every single thing you learned. (i.e. how to load/unload cargo via the quickest way, in -40C, and in 30kt winds, and in a blizzard, in st.therese).

Learn, yes, break all the rules so you can listen to island lake war stories, no.

Don't know much, but from what I hear, in today's market, it's not a first job for everyone. So look well before you go, and see if this route makes sense for you.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:28 am
by Lyle Lanley
Slurms was correct the OC was not pulled. There was no 30 day shutdown in 2006. I have been here since 2003, and am not going to comment past this. No one can force you to work anywhere you don't want to. If you didn't like it, you were right to leave and I hope you're happy where you are now. The kind of work FNT does is definately not for everyone, but I have had worse jobs. There is no sense complaining about a job you used to have. Also, if the 2 week guy is who I think, then 3.75 an hour is way overpayed;)

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 am
by carholme

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:54 am
by Lyle Lanley
I guess I do have to comment further. That link is in regards to S&W, which FNT was operating for a time. Notice the "small aircraft service" and the date of the application. C-46s and DC-3s are not small aircraft. That had nothing to do with FNTs Gimli operation. Final comment

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 am
by buster79
good on you for the search carlhome. Lyle i think it has everything to do with FNT as it is the same company, no? same people upstairs!

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:30 am
by carholme
Yes and there is several of them at the CTA site.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 am
by Lyle Lanley
No. Read the link. All this is, is FNT ceasing their S&W operation. This is not TC pulling an OC.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:37 pm
by carholme
Lyle;

All you have to do is read the several reports to see that the culture is well set in there.


carholme

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:15 pm
by Lyle Lanley
I read everything that came up on a search of FNT, and fail to see what you're talking about. There was a dispute over licensing (for a King Air that was sold 2 years ago) nothing more.

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:25 pm
by Lyle Lanley
Anyway, cheers to all. I am abandoning this pointless arguement, and going to get back to wasting my time on ebaumsworld!

Re: First Nations Transportation (FNT)?

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:24 am
by synthpro
Lyle Lanley

No, I don't think I'm that guy you think I am. The guy your reffering to is that older man who was their right before I arrived. Jeff let go.

Synthpro