Page 2 of 3

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 pm
by Redneck_pilot86
Somewhere on here I saw a pic of one tied on the outside of a beaver...Rowdy maybe?

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 am
by Mr. North
Redneck_pilot86 wrote:Somewhere on here I saw a pic of one tied on the outside of a beaver...Rowdy maybe?
I believe it's in "pics from a swamper" thread, although I don't know which of the 63 pages it's on.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:28 am
by flyinggibbon
I think I could have just developed a solution, using an internal winch (or the winch on the quad), some rope quides to make sure the pull is in the right direction, initially 90 degrees to the fuesalage or best angle in, then in line with it once the front is in, a loading ramp and four of these dolly jacks....

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater ... paignId=WP

Should be a two man job then, based on the mechanics I learnt packing countless scrums ( the controlled shunt).

I'm also thinking loading rear first could be a good plan.

I'm still thinking the AN-2, as it's wide, simple and has a really big door, however I will investigate the AN-3 conversion but with a PT-6.

Sorry if this is a little incoherent but it is 0127hrs local.

Best

FG

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:59 am
by Bushav8er
Just as a side, once you get it all figured out, how about posting some pics of your solution?

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 am
by zed
Wondering what types of ranges you are planning on carrying these ATV/trailer cobos? Just wanting to confirm that helo's aren't an option for you.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 am
by burhead1
HHMMM

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 am
by zed
Just checked, you don't have any registered in Australia but a DHC-5 Buffalo would probably fit your bill. But not many around anymore. According to their website Artic Sunwest Charters [http://www.arcticsunwest.com/#/our_fleet] have the only two in Canada. But someone else may be able to pipe up and say whether they are still being flown.

The Buffalo was purpose built for what your talking about. It was made for STOL on rough fields, and its got a ramp so you should be able to drive directly on/off. No special procedures or hassle. And the ramp dimensions are around 230cm by 205 cm, so your ATV and trailers should'nt be an issue in the slightest. Could almost drive two in side by side. But those dimensions are probably a bit off, but probably close enough, unless someone knows what they are exactly.

My understanding is that they made great military aircraft, but economically aren't as good for civil use, outside of some niche markets. Only about 120 were ever built, so its a pretty limited aircraft type. But once again huge grain of salt on my thoughts. I'll leave it to others who've flown or operated them to explain why they aren't in as much use today worldwide.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am
by Northern Flyer
I think the Buffalo would have the capacity to haul all their quads, trailers and men at the same time. I had one of arctic sunwests buffalo's hauling drill rigs a reserve, and I was hauling them into a lake with an otter. They were an awesome aircraft but way too big and I believe the original poster was looking for a single.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm
by zed
Ahh. Missed that part... "single or light twin" :oops: Suppose the Buffalo would be a bit of overkill... :smt040 Unless they had move a half dozen or more all at once, with trailers, gear and the people.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:19 pm
by square
Well the way people always got quads into Caravans where I worked was to show up with a quad and tell the company to get it there. You're not buying an aircraft are you? Let the pilots work it out. You just wheel it in however far you can, lift + shift the back end to align it, pull the quad forward, lift + shift the back end again, pull the quad forward.. until it's in. We even got one into the amphib babyvan, which was offloaded at destination into a fishing boat.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 pm
by flyinggibbon
Of course photo's and in this modern age, video's will be posted, only fair to put the result of this thinktank back into the general pool.

Helo's were considered but having done a lot of work with green painted ones in the past, underslung loads are a nightmare and the logistical support for anything that could carry a quad internally would also not be the best, there are various other reasons why this is not desirable as well.

As far as twin's are concerned, we're looking at CASA-212 to provide medium lift, ie 4wd pickup's etc, however, to use these to deliver the atv's would not be efficient as we need to drop a single quad team at several diferent locations so to use the 212 would mean putting a large amount of landing/takeoff cycles through the airframe etc.

Out of interest I note that Antonov are refurbishing old AN-2's up to AN-3 standard with a Glushenkov TVD-20M turboprop and modern avionics, which could be the perfect aircraft for the task as the later aircraft were produced in Poland, which is now in the European Union so they are not the pain in the arse to get on the commercial register everyone thinks (the EU has bilateral agreements with most countries aviation bodies), I've just dropped an email onto Antonov to get a rough order of magnitude (ball park figure, I still speak army I'm afraid) on these, it also struck me if they're being refurbished it might be worth seeing whether they can put a wider cargo hatch in and also whether they could use something like a PT-6 instead of the TVD-20M, I've a feeling the first would be possible whilst the second would drive the cost into pilatus PC-12 land, does anyone have any experience on turbine swaps in an airframe and the certification thereof?

Thanks once again,

FG

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm
by Northern Skies
I hauled several full-sized quads last summer in a De Havilland Otter on floats. It is not too challenging a job, can be done best with two or three people. There is nothing fancy required, basically a couple of boards is all. It takes about 10 minutes, much easier than tricky loads like large industrial generators, etc.

My advice is not to worry when you read the dimensions, trying to make it work on paper will give you a headache. I reality, the crux is when turning the corner after getting it through the door. If it doesn't fit in a straightforward way, you can briefly lift one side of the vehicle so that its width is oriented diagonally while rounding the corner.

I have only done the job on an otter. If you were in canada, i would wholeheartedly recommend one. However, an AN-2 or Caravan will do the job, and your decision comes down to what is available, and what works best for your operations.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm
by mag check
Any Fairchild Husky's for sale? That would be perfect, just open the rear doors, and drive it in.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 pm
by beaverbob
Mr. North wrote:
Redneck_pilot86 wrote:Somewhere on here I saw a pic of one tied on the outside of a beaver...Rowdy maybe?
I believe it's in "pics from a swamper" thread, although I don't know which of the 63 pages it's on.

Could it have been a Seadoo?
BB

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 pm
by rudeboy
anyone ever see a snowmobile in a similar type plane?

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 pm
by Redneck_pilot86
smaller sleds are commonplace in the caravan, seen them in the twin otter, im sure they fit just fine in a single otter.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm
by Northern Flyer
Have hauled plenty of sleds. The big wide track working sleds, I used to take off windshield and handlebars, lay it on its side and slide her into the old otter. I would just leave it on its side for the trip. If all else failed or I needed to move a few a shorter distance you could pull the doors off the back and back her in sideways and just let her hang out a bit. Lots of fun...

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 pm
by Maynard
It would have to be a pretty small quad to fit into a 206.....this pic is a 207

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 am
by nofate
How about a Shorts Skyvan? They have the capacity and would be easy to load. There are several in Oz as listed here...

http://www.aussieairliners.org/bristol/skyvan.htm

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:37 am
by Bushav8er
rudeboy wrote:anyone ever see a snowmobile in a similar type plane?
Hell, I've had them in the 185, granted the Elan with skis and windscreen removed.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:46 pm
by fish4life
nofate wrote:How about a Shorts Skyvan? They have the capacity and would be easy to load. There are several in Oz as listed here...

http://www.aussieairliners.org/bristol/skyvan.htm

apparently these guys operate them to
http://www.sydneyskydivers.com.au/?page=

What kind of STOL do you need roughly? how long / what will you be landing on primarily?

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 am
by burhead1
nofate wrote:How about a Shorts Skyvan? They have the capacity and would be easy to load. There are several in Oz as listed here...

http://www.aussieairliners.org/bristol/skyvan.htm
The wing on that thing is disturbing, seems kinda small

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 am
by angry inch
The Skyvan gets a significant amount (30 percent, I think..) of lift from the fuselage. If you look at it broadside, you'll notice it has an airfoil shape to it... hence the smaller wings.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:32 pm
by DHCdriver
Can't go wrong with choosing our Canadian classic's the Twin and single Otters.

Re: Loading an ATV (Quad Bike) into a single engine bushplan

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 pm
by DHCdriver
burhead1 wrote:HHMMM
Thats funny, you might want to shade out that registration :D