@dukepoint,
If you don't get it, it probably can't be explained to you, but I'll take a stab.
I didn't move to the ME chasing equipment or wealth. I was unemployed and needed a job, one that would last more than a year or two, and allow me to make some financial progress. In aviation, in Canada, those are rare to find. But then to my surprise, I adapted, and it turned out I could tolerate the many challenges of overseas life, and the benefits were quite large compared to the Canadian aviation industry. So I decided to focus on the positives and worked hard to mitigate the negatives. As a result, I am in the same position as Eric: no debt, and wealth to carry me forward a very long ways. Wealth isn't everything, to be sure - nothing will help you appreciate that statement like living in the Middle East amid the very high percentage of materialistic douchebags! But the money I've earned represents TIME. Money earned far, far faster than I could in canada, so time I won't spend working in Canada - unless I choose to. How many people can say
that? There is no Hummer in my future. No mortgage either.
My family and friends relationships are just fine. I have friends here, and back in Canada. No family here (the g/f just kicked me!

), and close with siblings who themselves are scattered variously across the Americas anyway. No doubt, having a wife and children here would complicate things - but they add both good stresses and bad, so it all washes out really. With the state of communications and long-range travel it's not quite like it was a few short years ago trying to stay connected. I will not spend 20 years abroad, it will be less than 10 when I get back, the exit strategy is already in place. But in my time here I've gotten to command a B777 to every continent on the planet in virtually every hemisphere, every major city, every environment imaginable, while working and socializing alongside 160 different nationalities. Lack of variety is one problem that doesn't exist! I've gotten to *ahem* taste more experiences (just got kicked again!) than I can practically remember, both good and bad. I just wouldn't get those opportunities in Canada. The fact that I've been able to accumulate multiples of wealth I wouldn't in Canada is simply the icing on the cake.
I like the way you seem to appreciate what you have and would say that it's the key wherever you are. If I had had what you did, even a modest job in Canada (can't agree that it's the best country in the world, that's too simplistic) I wouldn't have left. But I didn't have that, so I took a leap and it worked out, and I'm appreciating it now - particularly with more time behind me than ahead. When I move back, if I do look for a job I honestly don't know how I will adjust to flying to the same handful of domestic city pairs. But I will appreciate the other things that such a job will offer, at that time. They just won't be as much monetary or job interest. There is some niche flying that interests me, and I will have the luxury of considering the paycheque as a secondary consideration.
Couple things though. I wouldn't count too much on the pension, modest or otherwise. Demographics alone renders anything other than a defined-contribution pension unviable, and if you can get your employer to contribute, you'll be lucky. There simply isn't going to be the tax base to support the present private/public defined-benefit pension . (See: Detroit.) Not being a doomer, it's just math. I would think it's prudent for individuals to take a little more of a stake in their own financial affairs rather than counting on a pension. It's harder to see that when you're coasting along living the Canadian Dream, just making ends meet.
As far as the "detached and friendless" bit, are you sure you aren't just projecting your own fears? The vast majority of expats I meet, are interesting, engaging people. Kind of makes sense, most wallflower types wouldn't dare to try something outside of the box, and most expat jobs have pretty high minimum standards for selection. So expat populations tend to be dominated by bright, friendly, gregarious, Type A's - not really the ones you need to worry about being without friends! (Some of them are even a bit obnoxious! lol) And when I visit Canada, I see a society that largely has isolated themselves from each other with social media and busyness anyway. Which isn't to say, that it isn't the same in Dubai, but the point is you have to work hard at relationships these days no matter where you are.
Anyway, I wouldn't "get it" either if I wasn't actually doing it. Expat life simply isn't explainable, you have to live it to understand. The main thing is to find a way to be happy wherever you are. (
Whoa that was deep! lol)