Page 3 of 3

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:49 pm
by SuperchargedRS
CpnCrunch wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote: Your numbers mean nothing and do not address a rookie pilot pay, nor do they represent anything of the quality of life.
Yes, of course, but I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the comments that Canada is a high-tax socialist state.

However, even doing the calculations at $30k salary, Canada still comes out top for take-home pay. In fact at $30k the figures are even better for Canada, as you're better off in Ontario than Nevada.

What countries have you lived in that have a better quality of life than Canada?

QOL, as I said, better in Namibia for a rookie pilot, better experience, better food, better scenery, better.

As far as takehome pay, you should have included Iraq, Afghanistan, and some S American countries, LOTS of take home $$$, but the place sucks, lots of people rightfully want to kill you, but hey, that take home pay! lol


Socialist places are great for dependents, no doubt, but not so hot for folks who want to make their own future, for better or worse.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:31 pm
by CpnCrunch
SuperchargedRS wrote: Socialist places are great for dependents, no doubt, but not so hot for folks who want to make their own future, for better or worse.
The only socialist state left in the world is Cuba, and it's not really great for anything much except healthcare (certainly not for pilot jobs). I suspect it won't be socialist much longer though.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 pm
by Nark
CpnCrunch wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote: Your numbers mean nothing and do not address a rookie pilot pay, nor do they represent anything of the quality of life.
Yes, of course, but I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the comments that Canada is a high-tax socialist state.

However, even doing the calculations at $30k salary, Canada still comes out top for take-home pay. In fact at $30k the figures are even better for Canada, as you're better off in Ontario than Nevada.

What countries have you lived in that have a better quality of life than Canada?
The US.

Probably not going to win friends saying that, in this forum.

Then again, I've lived in Japan and have visited many countries, not always as a tourist...

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:35 pm
by hamstandard
Miles off topic. Deleted.
Back to the OP's question, please!

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 am
by Glasnost
Nark wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote: Your numbers mean nothing and do not address a rookie pilot pay, nor do they represent anything of the quality of life.
Yes, of course, but I wasn't addressing that. I was addressing the comments that Canada is a high-tax socialist state.

However, even doing the calculations at $30k salary, Canada still comes out top for take-home pay. In fact at $30k the figures are even better for Canada, as you're better off in Ontario than Nevada.

What countries have you lived in that have a better quality of life than Canada?
The US.

Probably not going to win friends saying that, in this forum.

Then again, I've lived in Japan and have visited many countries, not always as a tourist...
As long as you aren't black, or gay, or unhealthy, or wrongfully accused of terrorism, and you stay out of certain areas.

That's the thing. I've been around the world and found a surprising number of developing countries to be just as first world as the US and Canada. It's when the shit hits the fan that everything gets bad.

Plus. How many mass shootings in the US? Last month alone?

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:43 am
by SuperchargedRS
Glasnost wrote:
As long as you aren't black, or gay, or unhealthy, or wrongfully accused of terrorism, and you stay out of certain areas.

That's the thing. I've been around the world and found a surprising number of developing countries to be just as first world as the US and Canada. It's when the shit hits the fan that everything gets bad.

Plus. How many mass shootings in the US? Last month alone?
Ba ha ha ha ha

Have you ever lived in the US?

I live down in the states and work here too, I live in the north, I have a damn good QOL, we have near zero crime where I live, worst we ever see is a college kid getting a DUI, life's good as a pilot for me here (though I'm not a greenhorn)

Know lots of black folks who do quite well, gay people?! Go to Palm Springs or SFO and tell me how bad gay people have it lol

The "terrorist" thing is mainly media marketing and not something 99.999% will ever deal with minus TSA BS.

As far as unhealthy, our system actually works, and worked before Obama care just fine, if you're sick, if you get in a car crash, you will get care, EMS, ER, even medevac ain't going to change how they treat you based on your income, most poor folks also had government coverage of some type too.

As far as the wrong areas of town, I've been all over LA, NYC, the Deep South, never had a issue, however I have had a few natives try to mess with me in Canada for no damn reason.

As far as the "mass shootings" I'm not even going to get into it, aside from there are agendas, just like the black lives matter, it ain't a race or gun problem, it's. socal class and tax code problem, keeping people in their station in life, passing blame from government to matters like race, which the government has zero blame in, of course disarming the population has always been a goal of every large government.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:56 am
by atphat
So if you're gay you get 2 cities to live in? Please. You sound foolish

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:15 am
by SuperchargedRS
atphat wrote:So if you're gay you get 2 cities to live in? Please. You sound foolish
I sound foolish, obviously you don't understand examples.

Even in my very northern town, I personally have a few gay friends, who live great lives and are very much part of our community.

Sorry to burst your bubble about he states


So how long have you lived and worked in the US??

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:29 am
by photofly
Back to the original question....

I understand from a young Icelandic pilot I met yesterday that IcelandAir has lowered its hiring minimums from 500 to 300 hours, because of the difficulty in obtaining pilots. So, if you can get a work permit, try there.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:42 am
by atphat
Yawn.

I hope I'm never unlucky enough to have to leave the country I love. I live and work in Canada. Unless a pairing takes me somewhere else. But I always will want to come home. To say gays and blacks aren't prosecuted in the states sounds foolish. Yes. You sound foolish. Hell. Even science is under attack south of the border. But enough of Canada vs the States.

Lets get into specifics. How much did you make last year? How many days off a month? What do you fly? What are your career progression options? Pension? Benefits?

Let's hear it. Maybe you will convince me to leave Canada as well. 8)

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:02 am
by SuperchargedRS
atphat wrote:Yawn.

I hope I'm never unlucky enough to have to leave the country I love. I live and work in Canada. Unless a pairing takes me somewhere else. But I always will want to come home. To say gays and blacks aren't prosecuted in the states sounds foolish. Yes. You sound foolish. Hell. Even science is under attack south of the border. But enough of Canada vs the States.

Lets get into specifics. How much did you make last year? How many days off a month? What do you fly? What are your career progression options? Pension? Benefits?

Let's hear it. Maybe you will convince me to leave Canada as well. 8)
That's cute, so.....yeah.... I must have skipped over it, how many years did you live and work in the states?

You have some strong opinions, surely you must have lived and worked in the states for years right?


As for me, last year I made just shy of equivalent of 118,000 Canadian, could have made more, but I spent a little time traveling, exploring and having fun, but that's irrelevant, it's the QOL, I own my own home, have a few cars, have a nice little amphib of my own, all the standard issue toys, Z E R O debt, make enough to do whatever I like, and have a few business options as well (which don't involve working for someone else), I have plenty of time to play or start my own thing up, since my flying job has me working only half the year, and being home every night, I'm Union, 401k, insurance, etc and I fly EMS, so there is something to be said about actually making positive a difference in my community, as far as what I fly, who cares rookie?... it's a nice plane, but I'll give you a little pro tip, chase the QOL not the tin.


Myself and all my neghibors have guns, we hunt and target shoot, yet we haven't had a shooting since, well, I don't recall ever hearing of one, we ain't stringing black folks up from the trees or beating gay folks up ether, again, sorry to burst your media fueled bubble. And as far as science being under attack, I'll run and tell all the Engneering, STEM, and medical students around here lol

With the ATP rule changes its not too bad of a time to be a pilot in the US, still for a greenhorn I'd recommend Namibia for sub 200hrs, and TZ for over 1k.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:24 am
by atphat
:roll: I might snipe back and compare my situation but who cares.

I do have strong opinions. When someone comes on avCANADA and starts trashing Canada, ya, that might get me going.

Sounds like you are where you should be.

I've never lived or worked in the states.
8)

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:07 pm
by SuperchargedRS
atphat wrote::roll: I might snipe back and compare my situation but who cares.

I do have strong opinions. When someone comes on avCANADA and starts trashing Canada, ya, that might get me going.

Sounds like you are where you should be.

I've never lived or worked in the states.
8)
Well I have lived in both places, so your opinions of the states are based on zero experience eh?

You sound very young and inexperienced, or at the least not well traveled.

I love the US and Canada, I spend a good amount of time in both and have quite a few friends up there, one of my dream jobs in flight school was to fly floats in BC actually.

There are things I love about the US, Canada and Africa, also some things I'm not super impressed with.

I've found that the less the government has to do with the daily lives of folks, often the better the people are and the more opertunity exists.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:42 pm
by atphat
Im probably younger than you. Turns out I earn considerably more than you. Due to the nature of my work and benefits I can almost guarantee I've done more travelling than you. So there's that.

I'm starting to get douche chills going back and forth with you so I will bow out.

You win.
8)

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:52 pm
by SuperchargedRS
atphat wrote:Im probably younger than you. Turns out I earn considerably more than you. Due to the nature of my work and benefits I can almost guarantee I've done more travelling than you. So there's that.

I'm starting to get douche chills going back and forth with you so I will bow out.

You win.
8)

Wow, so you make way more than me, you are more traveled than me, yet you know next to nothing of the US, a country right below you?

So what is it that you do, I showed you mine...

And how on earth am I being a "douche". Heck haven't heard someone old enough to drink call another person that word lol.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:47 pm
by CpnCrunch
SuperchargedRS wrote: I've found that the less the government has to do with the daily lives of folks, often the better the people are and the more opertunity exists.
I'm not sure what you mean here. What does the Canadian government have to do with the daily lives of folks? The government here has pretty much zero effect on my daily life, and I run a business in Canada.

The biggest problem in the USA is the high cost of healthcare and education, which can prevent lower income people from succeeding. That doesn't really matter too much if you're moving there to be a pilot, except that it means your income will be lower due to the high cost of healthcare premiums.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:07 pm
by Nark
atphat wrote:Yawn.

Lets get into specifics. How much did you make last year? How many days off a month? What do you fly? What are your career progression options? Pension? Benefits?

Let's hear it. Maybe you will convince me to leave Canada as well. 8)
In July I flew 43.49 hours and was paid 114.2 hours.

This month I'll fly 35.26 and will be paid for 84.14 hours. I'm a regular line pilot and don't do additional duties.
In July I flew 19.4 hours in the military, however I'm paid in blocks of 4 hours, regardless if I fly.
I fly the A320, and the UH-60 Blackhawk.
I had 11 days free from duty in July. Which is a good average.

I will be able to hold captain in spring of 2018 at my airline. I live 1:15 min drive to my base.
I have two roth IRA's and will have a military pension at 58.
I pay $65/month for full health, dental, vision and disability. I also pay less than 1% of my military paycheck for state covered life insurance.
I have travel benefits with 39 airlines around the world. I have free and unlimited domestic travel on any US airline.

I'd say I'm doing much better than my counterparts in Canada.

You can stay in Canada or come here. I don't really care.

If you're a low time, <1000TT you will find more jobs and opportunities here in the US.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:59 pm
by SuperchargedRS
CpnCrunch wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote: I've found that the less the government has to do with the daily lives of folks, often the better the people are and the more opertunity exists.
I'm not sure what you mean here. What does the Canadian government have to do with the daily lives of folks? The government here has pretty much zero effect on my daily life, and I run a business in Canada.

The biggest problem in the USA is the high cost of healthcare and education, which can prevent lower income people from succeeding. That doesn't really matter too much if you're moving there to be a pilot, except that it means your income will be lower due to the high cost of healthcare premiums.

That's the beauty of it, most don't see it.

(US at least)

The tax code holds folks in their social status, the IRS taxes people to the breaking point if they try to work their way up the the next social class.

It's not black, it's not guns, it's keeping the have nots from getting into the cul de sac, it's keeping folks dependent on the government, it's gov paycheck justification.

Unless you can make a HUGE leap out of the low class DIRECT into the middle class, they'll tax you till you give back up and go back to your ghetto.

Same for the middle class trying to move up to the upper class.

You are not allows to work your way up, unless you can somehow make a leap, they'll tax you back down.

Black lives matter, lol, it should be poor lives matter, but poor can be blamed on government if you're smart enough to connect the dots, race is way better for them, you can't blame it on the government and its SOO jucy for the media to sell, that and those evil looking black painted guns.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:45 am
by lazyeight
SuperchargedRS wrote:
atphat wrote:Im probably younger than you. Turns out I earn considerably more than you. Due to the nature of my work and benefits I can almost guarantee I've done more travelling than you. So there's that.

I'm starting to get douche chills going back and forth with you so I will bow out.

You win.
8)

Wow, so you make way more than me, you are more traveled than me, yet you know next to nothing of the US, a country right below you?

So what is it that you do, I showed you mine...

And how on earth am I being a "douche". Heck haven't heard someone old enough to drink call another person that word lol.
Believe it or not, there are people.. in Canada especially, who have ZERO desire to live and work in the USA. Myself included. That's great that it's working out for you but don't feel like you need to talk down to those of us who choose to live in Canada.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:03 am
by SuperchargedRS
lazyeight wrote:
SuperchargedRS wrote:
atphat wrote:Im probably younger than you. Turns out I earn considerably more than you. Due to the nature of my work and benefits I can almost guarantee I've done more travelling than you. So there's that.

I'm starting to get douche chills going back and forth with you so I will bow out.

You win.
8)

Wow, so you make way more than me, you are more traveled than me, yet you know next to nothing of the US, a country right below you?

So what is it that you do, I showed you mine...

And how on earth am I being a "douche". Heck haven't heard someone old enough to drink call another person that word lol.
Believe it or not, there are people.. in Canada especially, who have ZERO desire to live and work in the USA. Myself included. That's great that it's working out for you but don't feel like you need to talk down to those of us who choose to live in Canada.

Ill chalk that up to a lack of reading comprehension.

Perhaps the words used were too large, or my logic too complex for you to grasp.

I'll giver' another shot.

I'm not knocking Canada

There are other countries which provide better opertunity for low time CPLs

I'm not knocking Canada

There are things great and not so great about every country.

I'm not knocking Canada.

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:01 am
by North Shore
OK, Back on topic, please. If you wish to continue the A vs B discussion, you can find it here: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 4&t=110208

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:09 am
by North Shore
Nark wrote:
If you're a low time, <1000TT you will find more jobs and opportunities here in the US.
Trouble is, Nark, unless you can get that magic Green Card, USA might as well be the moon..