Page 3 of 4

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:47 pm
by howard40
Dont waste too much time on the computer generated "fly boys" when the blue max is out there.... it is beautiful....and real. Battle of Britain was made in the 60's just as the spanish air force was retiring its "real" German bombers etc!! fantastic!
Watch the airplanes, ignore the stories LOL

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:46 pm
by burhead1
Air America

Blue Thunder Shut up its was GOOD :smt040

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:13 pm
by I_Drive_Planes
I'm a big fan of Air America. Chevaliers du Ciel was a shit movie, but it had some great flying scenes in it (think like a French Top Gun, with mirages instead of F-14s). I just ordered the dvd for One Six Right, it looks promising.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 am
by rubberduck
Steven Spielberg's movie Always with Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Richard Dreyfuss is always a fun one to watch. Some nice WWII planes converted to water bombers and some cool flying shots.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm
by warbirdpilot7
rubberduck wrote:Steven Spielberg's movie Always with Holly Hunter, John Goodman and Richard Dreyfuss is always a fun one to watch. Some nice WWII planes converted to water bombers and some cool flying shots.
Good choice... John Goodman flies a PBY Catalina and Dreyfuss flies an A-26 Invader..

Battle of Britian is high on my list as well as Tora Tora Tora.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:58 pm
by beaverbob
Does anyone remember the movie about a Beaver pilot who takes off with an oil leak and later has an engine failure? During his lengthy stay in the bush he tames a Goose? and sends a message tied to the bird and is ultimately rescued. It was in the late 50's or 60's. I saw it as a ground school lesson.
Bob

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 am
by Bushav8er
beaverbob wrote:Does anyone remember the movie about a Beaver pilot who takes off with an oil leak and later has an engine failure? During his lengthy stay in the bush he tames a Goose? and sends a message tied to the bird and is ultimately rescued. It was in the late 50's or 60's. I saw it as a ground school lesson.
Bob
Was it "Wings of Chance"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055625/ I saw that but it is rare.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 am
by olorin
Here are some good ones:
Spitfire
One of our Aircraft is Missing
Reach For The Sky
Flite of The Intruder
30 Seconds over Tokyo
Flying Tigers

Note:
Spitfire and One of Our Aircraft is Missing can be found on a DVD ....The Collector's Series WWII Movies. Also on that DVD is We Dive At Dawn

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 am
by 208Drvr
Behind Enemy Lines,

I found a VHS copy of Air America and a machine to play the VHS things. So its looking like my vote would be for Air America.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:49 am
by sstaurus
I've never found a copy of the movie, but this footage from 'Murphy's War' has some pretty intense flying with a Duck..


Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm
by iflyforpie
Cantung wrote:Bat 21!
I forgot about that one until I watched it on Netflix a while back. Awesome movie! Of course I am a little biased since I drive a 337. :D

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 am
by Midnight Sun Flyer
West Coast Swell wrote:Mother Lode

How not to land your Beaver on Lake Lovely water.

Mother Loge...Yep I will never forget that one.
My old time favourite was Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney
also I liked 633 Squadron an outstanding depiction of wartime bravery and courage.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:42 pm
by warbirdpilot7
Midnight Sun Flyer wrote:
West Coast Swell wrote:Mother Lode

How not to land your Beaver on Lake Lovely water.

Mother Loge...Yep I will never forget that one.
My old time favourite was Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney
also I liked 633 Squadron an outstanding depiction of wartime bravery and courage.
Good choice! I have asoft spot for the deHavilland Mosquito :wink:

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:14 pm
by Midnight Sun Flyer
warbirdpilot7 wrote:
Midnight Sun Flyer wrote:
West Coast Swell wrote:Mother Lode

How not to land your Beaver on Lake Lovely water.

Mother Loge...Yep I will never forget that one.
My old time favourite was Captains of the Clouds starring James Cagney
also I liked 633 Squadron an outstanding depiction of wartime bravery and courage.
Good choice! I have asoft spot for the deHavilland Mosquito :wink:

Me too, My first year flying I flew with a Pilot who flew de Havilland Mosquito's in WW2, I will always cherish my flights with him.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:27 pm
by SpyPilot
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thought I'd jump in with a thread bump. So far all my favourites are here, even Deadly Encounter.

Here's a few more that aren't aviation movies but why not widen the list to include movies with great flying scenes.

"It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" with Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett trying to land the Twin Beech after Jim Bachus knocks himself out cold after going into the back to mix up a batch of martini's. There's also a good scene with an old crop duster.

"Fandango". Anyone who's flown skydivers has seen this one for sure.

"Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy as the bush pilot of a tired old Beaver and Charles Martin Smith sneaking a load of Moosehead into the canoe. Later in the movie Dennehy shows up in a spanking new Porter.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39 am
by beaverbob
Bushav8er wrote:
beaverbob wrote:Does anyone remember the movie about a Beaver pilot who takes off with an oil leak and later has an engine failure? During his lengthy stay in the bush he tames a Goose? and sends a message tied to the bird and is ultimately rescued. It was in the late 50's or 60's. I saw it as a ground school lesson.
Bob
Was it "Wings of Chance"? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055625/ I saw that but it is rare.
That's the one, I saw it when it was a new movie. Interestingly, the information page said it was the first full length feature movie shot in Canada.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:06 pm
by Rowdy
SpyPilot wrote: "Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy as the bush pilot of a tired old Beaver and Charles Martin Smith sneaking a load of Moosehead into the canoe. Later in the movie Dennehy shows up in a spanking new Porter.
I know the pilot who did all the flying for that :wink:

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by bigsky
Rowdy wrote:
SpyPilot wrote: "Never Cry Wolf" with Brian Dennehy as the bush pilot of a tired old Beaver and Charles Martin Smith sneaking a load of Moosehead into the canoe. Later in the movie Dennehy shows up in a spanking new Porter.
I know the pilot who did all the flying for that :wink:
I think BG flew the Porter, there was also quite a few shots of a Beaver, not sure he flew that.
If I recall, some of the Beaver shots were done while still in the hangar. I believe most of the actual DHC-2 flying shots were done in the Yukon between Whitehorse and Skagway.

But I could stand to be corrected on this...

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm
by Rowdy
I should have worded that differently, didnt realize it could be taken that way. :wink: But yes, BG flew the porter and helped out elsewhere. I'll have to ask em when he gets back from SL.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 am
by hoptwoit
How about "The last flight of noas ark" a B 29 that gets turned into a boat.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:10 am
by outsider
Aviator with Leo
Memphis Belle
Always
The Right Stuff
Fire Fox
Pearl Harbor

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 pm
by oldtimer
My all time favorite was "Reach for the Sky, the story of Sir Douglas Bader, the legless WW11 RAF fighter pilot.
Also, in the Great Waldo Pepper, the star of the movie starts an old airplane by handpropping it backwards so that it pops forward after hitting compression and apparently that was the proper way to start that old engine. It has been so long ago that I forget what model engine/airplane it was and who the movie star was who played Waldo.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:20 pm
by I_Heart_Seaplanes
There is some sort of Beaver/Norseman seaplane mashup in the new TinTin movie, so just another reason I've got to go see that.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:59 am
by robertsailor1
Robert Redford played Waldo. Some of the best flying I've ever seen in this movie bar none.

Re: Favorite aviation movies!

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 am
by Aerials
I'm looking for the name of a movie I saw on TV years ago, I would say it was from the late 90's, involved a guy and girl flying a red beauty of a Pilatus PC-7 or -9 and showed them flying over all the most scenic spots in western Europe on the sunniest days of the year.
Any clues?