Hand swinging

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Hand swinging

Post by Heliian »

I'm glad someone is still capable of this but please be careful folks, luckily no one was injured.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3012432
---------- ADS -----------

esp803

Re: Hand swinging

Post by esp803 »

10 meter take off roll :shock: and I thought an otter got off the ground fast....

E

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Well, without the pesky 200 lb pilot, the aircraft is pretty light....30 feet doesn't seem too unreasonable.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Poor fella

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I'm reminded of this gem

http://youtu.be/AeTM-paAXCo

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Canoehead wrote:I'm reminded of this gem

Make sure you have it on mute with Yakety Sax playing on a background tab. :lol:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

iflyforpie wrote:

Make sure you have it on mute with Yakety Sax playing on a background tab. :lol:
I thought I was the only one who did this whenever I saw that video. For those who are thinking of trying, it synchs up wonderfully.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

lownslow wrote:
iflyforpie wrote:

I thought I was the only one who did this whenever I saw that video. For those who are thinking of trying, it synchs up wonderfully.
Oh my goodness, I just verbalized it and we were howling. Too funny!

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

This is what you do when you've had your airplane listed for a year or two and nobody has purchased it. :P

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

The CADOR is up for this incident... Good to see someone has a sense of humour...
CADOR wrote:The pilot of a privately registered Aeronca 11ACX on a local flight from Nipawin, SK (CYBU) successfully hand started the aircraft. However, the pilot did not have the opportunity to enter the aircraft prior to its departure from the runway. Subsequently, the aircraft crashed in a field adjacent to the runway. No souls on board. No impact to operations.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Guess the parking brakes on those skis aren't all that effective?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

When I used to handprop the old Champ on skis, the throttle was cracked open ever so slightly. Didn't have any problems. If it won't start and you get to the point of opening the throttle significantly, you need someone or something to restrain the aircraft.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

There's a very informative video on hand propping here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqPtqvU9mg

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

praveen4143 wrote:There's a very informative video on hand propping here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqPtqvU9mg
I have only gotten to 1:18 on the video and I am shaking my head at the stupidity shown. The video has started off as very informative in their explanation and there is now mention of the impulse coupling and how to tell if you have one. Simple he says by telling us to pull the prop through and listen for a loud click.

Then he walks in front of the aircraft in the hangar and pulls the prop through while leaning very close to it with his nose about 1 inch from the propeller arc(no need to be that close to hear a click in a quiet hangar) his hands wrapped around the prop much more than they need be.

It would have been best not to do this in a hangar but regardless of whether inside or out, he should have demonstrated to us that chocks are in, brakes set(if installed), mag switches off, throttle closed, throttle friction tight(if installed), mixture idle cutoff, and fuel selector off. Then turn the prop through from behind and only have finger tips pulling it through.

He may have done the securing portion of the items he listed but he sure didn't mention any of them. What if there is a live mag?

Be paranoid.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I agree; that was a little painful to watch. He did cover much of the safety precautions later in the video, after his initial demonstration of how not to do it.

I wonder how multiple raw chicken strikes would play into the ongoing argument over the interpretation of the various prop strike inspection SBs and ADs out there? Not a demo that I would volunteer any plane I had a vested interest in for!

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Hand spanking aircraft was a way of life - my very first double registered letter was from starting a j-3 in front of the old brampton flying club. TC was sitting in a car just passing time -- fortunately it was one of the very few times I had a passenger with me and even more fortunate he was a pilot. At 16 years old a violation was a little scary -- haha --

Over the years I have hand spanked almost all the aircraft types I have flown with pistons. From a J-3 cub right up to a DC3 -- the worst were the fuel injected engines but with a little patience they too start well - secret - cold engine (not frozen but not hot from running) - worst was a norseman on floats and surprisingly the DC3 was pretty easy but needed 2 guys on the prop --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

and surprisingly the DC3 was pretty easy but needed 2 guys on the prop --
a ski doo works real good. :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Like this one . -- :smt040

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:03 pm When I used to handprop the old Champ on skis, the throttle was cracked open ever so slightly. Didn't have any problems. If it won't start and you get to the point of opening the throttle significantly, you need someone or something to restrain the aircraft.
C-GHNC, a private Cessna 172M, was en route to Thunder Bay (CYQT), ON. While in the vicinity
of Ignace (CJN3), ON, the pilot needed to make a stop in Ignace. The landing in Ignace was
uneventful. When the pilot returned to the aircraft, he was unable to start the engine. He exited the
aircraft and was able to successfully hand prop the aircraft. Once the engine started, the aircraft
began to move rapidly across the ramp and the pilot was unable to re-board the aircraft. The
aircraft traveled across the runway, crashed through a gate and caught fire. The aircraft was
substantially damaged.

It doesn't move rapidly unless the throttle is significantly forward of idle.

How about some chocks and brake if no tie down is nearby. At least brakes if no chocks or tiedown is available.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CAR 602.10 applies.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”