By Stephen Pope / Published: Jun 30, 2015
Courtesy of Mankato Times
The Mayo One medevac helicopter is always a popular draw when it attends public events around its home base near Minneapolis. But visitors to the Minnesota Air Spectacular in Mankato over the weekend got the surprise of their lives when a six-year-old child who was sitting inside the EC145 somehow managed to fire up the multi-million-dollar helicopter's engines.
Witnesses described seeing Mayo One's rotor blades suddenly start turning at about 1:45 p.m. on Saturday while the helicopter was parked in the airshow's static display area.
Video of the incident shows the rotor blast having blown over a tent before a Mayo One pilot manages to reach the cockpit and initiate the shutdown procedure.
The Mayo Clinic issued a statement saying two people inside the tent suffered minor injuries.
"Mayo Clinic is conducting a thorough review and has proactively reported the incident to the Federal Aviation Administration," the hospital said. "The safety of our patients, our team members and the general public is Mayo Clinic's highest priority."
Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/news/video-6-y ... 5rq6AJB.99
6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
Would the starter alone be able to motor the blades fast enough to blow something over? Or did a 6 year old actually manage to engage the starter and then put fuel to it?
-
Meatservo
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2581
- Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:07 pm
- Location: Negative sequencial vortex
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
I always told people I bet I could figure out how to fly one, but it would be pretty tricky to figure out how to start it.
I guess I was wrong!
I guess I was wrong!
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
[youtube]http://youtu.be/uqNTdYRYzlI[/youtube]
Ah, stupid links....can someone slightly smarter than I post the video link properly? Thanks
Ah, stupid links....can someone slightly smarter than I post the video link properly? Thanks
- Boreas
- Rank 5

- Posts: 376
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm
- Location: The haunted corners of familiar rooms
- cdnpilot77
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 pm
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
Thanks Boreas, although I said smarter 
- Boreas
- Rank 5

- Posts: 376
- Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm
- Location: The haunted corners of familiar rooms
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
Haha, I just had to figure it out again. I had completely forgotten.
For the record, copy and paste what you have in the address bar when on youtube.com, but remove the 's' after http and the '&feature=youtu.be' at the end before putting it in.
For example: take https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqNTdYR ... e=youtu.be and change it to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqNTdYRYzlI before using the youtube function.
Cheers.
-
SuperchargedRS
- Rank (9)

- Posts: 1485
- Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:30 am
- Location: the stars playground
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
FADEC? I know of some planes it's just a stsrt position and the systems do the rest?
Personally I'd just pop off the quick connect on the battery before leaving the aircraft like that.
Personally I'd just pop off the quick connect on the battery before leaving the aircraft like that.
- all_ramped_up
- Rank 6

- Posts: 476
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 pm
- Location: Why Vee Arrr
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
I was thinking the same thing about the battery!SuperchargedRS wrote:FADEC? I know of some planes it's just a stsrt position and the systems do the rest?
Personally I'd just pop off the quick connect on the battery before leaving the aircraft like that.
People are Animals! Two seconds of foresight could have avoided that incident.
If there's a switch not to touch... It's going to be the first one pushed. Murphy's Law innit?
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
And the parents/guardians aren't to blame?
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
And the plot thickens!
At 17 transport Canada thought I had enough responsibility not to kill someone. Not sure here...
Turns out it wasnt a young child......
FAA says a teen, not young child, cranked up helicopter at Mankato air show
A witness saw a young child removed; officials haven’t rule out there being multiple people in the chopper at the time.
By Paul Walsh Star Tribune
JULY 1, 2015 — 5:32AM
Federal aviation investigators said they have determined that it was a 17-year-old — and not a much younger child — who started a helicopter while the aircraft was on display over the weekend during an air show near Mankato, a U.S. agency spokeswoman said Tuesday.
The additional information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) raises the possibility that more than one person was in the helicopter at the time.
On Saturday, the rotor blades of the Mayo Clinic medical emergency helicopter unexpectedly began whirring at the Minnesota Air Spectacular at the Mankato Regional Airport. The sudden blast of wind knocked over a large sun shield on the tarmac, and two people were hit and slightly injured.
A worker at the show video-recorded a portion of the brief time when the helicopter was roaring and said he saw a Mayo aviation employee remove a crying boy from the aircraft. Agro Gushwa, 15, estimated that the boy was 6 years old.
On behalf of the FAA, spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory said its agency has “confirmation the 17-year-old was the person at the controls, and … nobody else was in the cockpit.” Cory did not specify the teen’s gender.
Neither Cory nor Mayo Clinic Medical Transport spokesman Glenn Lyden has ruled out the possibility that more than one person was in the helicopter. Along with the cockpit, the aircraft has space in back that can be configured for up to nine people.
Cory said the FAA is investigating the incident and its probe could last for weeks.
At 17 transport Canada thought I had enough responsibility not to kill someone. Not sure here...
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
-
FighterPilot
- Rank 4

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:25 pm
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
Turbines, so easy to start a 6 year old can do it...
-
duramaxguy
- Rank 2

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:19 pm
- Location: Somewhere with palm trees and mild winters
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
They (EC145) are FADEC. Providing the battery master is on it takes one flick of a toggle switch and they'll start themself.
Last edited by duramaxguy on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
FighterPilot
- Rank 4

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:25 pm
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
that is not an accident and it's also ridiculous that the crew would leave the helicopter in a state that it could be started and also totally ridiculous that the rotors got turning that speed, it's quite a few seconds from switch on to idle. But ya, go merica! He would have had to put the batt on, fuel valve on and engine mode switch on. I blame the crew 100%, having done many dog and pony shows, the a/c is ALWAYS secured in a state that it can't be started or damaged in any way, not to mention that no one goes in the a/c without a crew member standing nearby. But hey, accidents happen right? As for the rotor wash flipping the tent over, well I'm sure they'll argue in court that the winds created by a helicopter at ground idle should not have been sufficient to blow over a properly secured tent.
-
human garbage
- Rank 4

- Posts: 212
- Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:58 am
Re: 6-Year-Old Accidentally Starts Medevac Helicopter
That is SOP for car shows. Just prevents random horn honking as starting isn't an issue sans keys...SuperchargedRS wrote:... Personally I'd just pop off the quick connect on the battery before leaving the aircraft like that.
"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .
"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
