The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

SkyBagPiper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by SkyBagPiper »

2 weeks is the minimum benchmark. Some people have been waiting for longer
---------- ADS -----------

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

If one got a call offering a GS spot what would the reaction be if the applicant asked to postpone the offer and ask to sit in one a few classes/couple months later? I assume they would say ok but would they really just bypass you indefinitely or permanently?

joefo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by joefo »

Blueontop wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:36 pm If one got a call offering a GS spot what would the reaction be if the applicant asked to postpone the offer and ask to sit in one a few classes/couple months later? I assume they would say ok but would they really just bypass you indefinitely or permanently?
Recently heard you can defer up to a year from interview date

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Yes deferrals are allowed, however there is no reserved seniority. In other words, if you defer by a month, your seniority will be picked within the class you actually attend, not the one you were first offered.

Since seniority is so important in this business, I would make sure that I had a really good reason to defer an offer, and then only defer as little as possible.

SkyBagPiper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyBagPiper »

While deferring is a choice. Choose wisely. Deferring does not guarantee you a spot. If they for some reason decide to forgo a class or change hiring principles due to outside factors, you may be dropped.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

I agree with the sentiment that you should have a good reason to defer. Seniority at AC is king. The consequences of deferring could cost you financially. Also, when the next economy paralyzer happens, you're going to want as many numbers below you as possible to protect not just your job, but your seniority, which could affect how long you spend in the right seat if you aspire to want to be in the left as quickly as possible. It can even affect the length of time it takes to get your desired base, especially if you are gunning for YWG or YVR.

LongHaul89
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LongHaul89 »

My understanding after talking to HR was you could defer 1 or 2 classes (as they setting up the names for those classes) but not beyond that.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

I imagine some of the people looking to defer don't want to leave their current employer in the lurch with no pilot. That's very admirable but I highly suggest not doing it. If the situation was reversed your current employer will not look at you with any loyalty. You're potentially setting yourself up for extra months or years of reserve duty at AC by trying to be a good employee for a company that would not do the same for you.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

The sentiment of getting your seniority quickly is well found.

But something else to consider; Do you really want to be outside looking in when the music stops and everyone is looking for a chair? There have been occasions in the past where hiring/training just suddenly stopped. Not to restart again for up to 4 years.

Sitting at the bottom of the list for those 4 years would be crappy enough, but trying to get hired, knowing you had a spot but gave it up, would be worse.

One only has to look at past events to see how quickly the environment changes.

Cheftony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheftony »

Does the background check request means that you made the cut or can you still get PFO’d afterwards?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Cheftony wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:23 pm Does the background check request means that you made the cut or can you still get PFO’d afterwards?
It’s usually a good sign… but don’t count your chickens until you’re sitting in a jet at V1.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Cheftony wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:23 pm Does the background check request means that you made the cut or can you still get PFO’d afterwards?
A job offer means you made the cut. Nothing else.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

flying4dollars wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:38 pm
A job offer means you made the cut. Nothing else.
Unless that job offer was for the March 23rd, 2020 PIT course!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

SkyBagPiper wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:20 pm While deferring is a choice. Choose wisely.
Past defer-er here. Can’t endorse it, it’s a poor life choice.

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

When did you do your interview?

tupues
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tupues »

SkyBagPiper wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:20 pm While deferring is a choice. Choose wisely. Deferring does not guarantee you a spot. If they for some reason decide to forgo a class or change hiring principles due to outside factors, you may be dropped.
Whats considered deferring?
I assume when they call you with the offer they will mention the planned course date under consideration of any notice period etc. and then you get the contract. My assumption is, that once the contract is signed you are hired for the planned course even if that is only in a couple of months due to whatever circumstances there might be?
Because who in their right mind will sign a contract and resign from their current job, not knowing if they will be "dropped" in the end as you mention it.

Captain101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain101 »

Would anyone have any info on what the psychologist virtual interview might consist of? I had done the mmpi assessment in person on the day of the interview but now have been asked to do a virtual interview with the psychologist as well.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Any calls going out for June PIT courses?

tupues
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tupues »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:39 pm Any calls going out for June PIT courses?
yes.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loading... »

Are they hiring OTS rn with only 2k hours TT?

Return to “Air Canada”