The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Bingo Fuel »

When I interviewed a couple years ago, they were big on logbook stamps/certifications from every company I worked for. I made sure I had each of those pages tagged with a sticky note, and they seemed to appreciate that.
---------- ADS -----------

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Gonzodriver wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:02 am
tbayav8er wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 pm Got the job. Thanks for the info!
Congrats!

I've heard a rumour that they ask you to print out your online profile with all your exam/tests from TC. Is that true? What other paperwork did you have to take with you to the interview?
Yes, that's correct. Also, logbooks certified by all previous employers, copy of updated resume, references, license, radio license, medical, passport, original proof of education and copies, any letters of reference. They wanted sticky notes in your logbook for specific career milestones, which they will tell you in the email for the interview. They lay it all out pretty well in the email for the interview.

Jester123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jester123 »

I received an interview offer via email for September. I replied to them two days later as I was on a vacation with the family. I provided some dates in September that would work and was told all the slots were full and they would reach out to me for October interview slots.

Has this happened to others? All I can do is sit tight and hopefully hear back.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Jester123 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:55 am I received an interview offer via email for September. I replied to them two days later as I was on a vacation with the family. I provided some dates in September that would work and was told all the slots were full and they would reach out to me for October interview slots.

Has this happened to others? All I can do is sit tight and hopefully hear back.
Yes - interviewed back in June. Was offered a May interview date but was scheduled to work on all of the interview dates that were available. They offered the first interview date the next month so that I could bid my schedule accordingly. They were very professional and accommodating throughout the entire process.

They start filling out the interview slots for the next month around a week prior, so if you haven't heard anything back by the last week of September, it would be worthwhile to send them a quick email and remind them of your situation. Best of luck!

Jester123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jester123 »

Does AC want to see a stamp for every company in the logbook? I am missing one and am wondering if a letter from the company will do. It is difficult to get a hold of the Chief Pilot to provide certification.

negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

Jester123 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:03 am Does AC want to see a stamp for every company in the logbook? I am missing one and am wondering if a letter from the company will do. It is difficult to get a hold of the Chief Pilot to provide certification.
No. Just get as many as you can and then self attest the rest with your signature.

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Any idea what was offered on Monday's sept 12th PIT?

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Usually don't find out til Thurs or Fri. Latest training report shows everything, but mostly 220 & 320.

Boeingman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Boeingman »

Saw 3x 330 FO spots as well for new hires.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Everything but RP for this class. Mostly 319/320 but there’s also 220, 737 and FO on all WBs. No yvr.

Jester123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jester123 »

bob99 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:33 am Everything but RP for this class. Mostly 319/320 but there’s also 220, 737 and FO on all WBs. No yvr.
How does selection for aircraft type work in a new hire class at AC? Draw your # out of a hat and pick?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Jester123 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:00 am
bob99 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:33 am Everything but RP for this class. Mostly 319/320 but there’s also 220, 737 and FO on all WBs. No yvr.
How does selection for aircraft type work in a new hire class at AC? Draw your # out of a hat and pick?
Essentially, yes. It's a bit more nuanced than that, for example, Air Canada has been prohibiting pilots with turboprop-only experience from being awarded widebody FO positions. At the end of the day, they do their best to honour bids by seniority, but they do reserve the right to assign you to a fleet or prevent you from being awarded a specific fleet at their discretion, depending on the situation.

Art Vandelay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Art Vandelay »

If everyone with jet time passes up a widebody FO position what then, do they force you to take a widebody FO position? (if you have jet time). Maybe the demographics of each class avoids this but I don't know, hence the question.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Art Vandelay wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:17 pm If everyone with jet time passes up a widebody FO position what then, do they force you to take a widebody FO position? (if you have jet time). Maybe the demographics of each class avoids this but I don't know, hence the question.
Yes. Some classes have one type and one base (my class was all 787 RP in YYZ). If you’re bottom of the list and there’s only wide body FO left and you qualify that’s where you are going.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
joefo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by joefo »

Pilot011524 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:00 pm Just curious if anyone heard back outside the timeline they were given during the interview? I'm a few days away from exceeding that and have yet to hear back. Wondering if following up is okay?
Did you ever hear back?

Pilot011524
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilot011524 »

Had to follow up with an email and they said sorry for the delay and trying to get a response soon.

radiocheck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by radiocheck »

What comes next after the background check consent is given? Is there a general timeline before they reach back?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

radiocheck wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:01 am What comes next after the background check consent is given? Is there a general timeline before they reach back?
No set timeline. For me it was about 6 weeks I think.

Jester123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jester123 »

radiocheck wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:01 am What comes next after the background check consent is given? Is there a general timeline before they reach back?
I didn't get word of a timeline after doing the background check. As the saying goes it's a waiting game.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Cavalier44 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:20 am Air Canada has been prohibiting pilots with turboprop-only experience from being awarded widebody FO positions. At the end of the day, they do their best to honour bids by seniority, but they do reserve the right to assign you to a fleet or prevent you from being awarded a specific fleet at their discretion, depending on the situation.
This restriction applied to the 767 a couple years ago but my understanding was it had something to do with simulator capability as it sometimes was in effect and sometimes wasn’t.

Return to “Air Canada”