The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Nashbandicoot »

---------- ADS -----------

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

Can anyone send the link where to find the collective agreement please? Thanks

safetyfirst123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by safetyfirst123 »

CanadianPilotQc wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:48 am Can anyone send the link where to find the collective agreement please? Thanks
Here you go!

http://safeflights.ca/index.php?page=ca ... agreements

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

What are the parameters for the medical? Cat 1 and some other stuff?

Flight_Deck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flight_Deck »

Vision, hearing, blood work to check for things such as liver enzymes and cholesterol, urine test on the spot to check for illicit drugs, electrocardiogram, blood pressure check and stethoscope (standard check of sounds in heart and lungs). The doctor then asks a series of questions such as family history of diseases and ailments.

Jetlifer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jetlifer »

Flight_Deck wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:29 pm Vision, hearing, blood work to check for things such as liver enzymes and cholesterol, urine test on the spot to check for illicit drugs, electrocardiogram, blood pressure check and stethoscope (standard check of sounds in heart and lungs). The doctor then asks a series of questions such as family history of diseases and ailments.
So’ I have elevated cholesterol, have had it my whole life, don’t currently need medication for it, but in time I may. The balance for me is with higher natural levels of cholesterol, it slowly does damage to my liver.. essentially it’s a balancing act until one day I’d need to go on a statin.. Would this be a show stopper for myself? If o took the statin, then the cholesterol and liver numbers would be good, but you’d have the side effects of the medication for the rest of your days. Nothing catastrophic, but my GP has always advocated waiting to go on it..

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Jetlifer wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:47 pm So’ I have elevated cholesterol, have had it my whole life, don’t currently need medication for it, but in time I may. The balance for me is with higher natural levels of cholesterol, it slowly does damage to my liver.. essentially it’s a balancing act until one day I’d need to go on a statin.. Would this be a show stopper for myself? If o took the statin, then the cholesterol and liver numbers would be good, but you’d have the side effects of the medication for the rest of your days. Nothing catastrophic, but my GP has always advocated waiting to go on it..
I found the Air Canada doctors to be very competent and understanding. They are not out to disqualify you for minor issues, especially if your cholesterol is being followed closely by your GP. I would recommend that you procure as much supporting documentation from your GP as you can (they will most likely ask for clinical notes and whatever test results you may have), and present it when you go for your pre-employment medical.

Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

Hi guys,

Just wondering what’s a typical schedule at AC. Amounts of days OFF, how many pilots end up doing reserve every single month for a year, lots of overnights (?), deadheads (?), etc.

Also wondering how many pilots they forecast on hiring in 2023 ? Any signs of slowing down?

Is there a way to know the positions (mainly the base) on a given ground school ?

Thanks

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Latitude wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:50 pm Hi guys,

Just wondering what’s a typical schedule at AC. Amounts of days OFF, how many pilots end up doing reserve every single month for a year, lots of overnights (?), deadheads (?), etc.

Also wondering how many pilots they forecast on hiring in 2023 ? Any signs of slowing down?

Is there a way to know the positions (mainly the base) on a given ground school ?

Thanks
NB works 16 days. WB sometimes more, sometimes less. Other questions will vary by fleet.

No slowing down in the hiring.

Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

bob99 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:11 am
Latitude wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:50 pm Hi guys,

Thanks
NB works 16 days. WB sometimes more, sometimes less. Other questions will vary by fleet.

No slowing down in the hiring.
Thank you !

FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FelixGustof »

When your country has the the world's cheapest pilots and the corps knows the tremendous labour cost advantage they have, I would hope they would expand

Imagine sweat shops in China. That is pilots in this country.

matrix77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matrix77 »

Anyone received ground school offer recently? Or when is the latest ground school day?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

matrix77 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:29 pm Anyone received ground school offer recently? Or when is the latest ground school day?
Next ground school is January 2nd, then January 16th. I know people on both. They got the call in early December.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

FelixGustof wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:28 pm When your country has the the world's cheapest pilots and the corps knows the tremendous labour cost advantage they have, I would hope they would expand

Imagine sweat shops in China. That is pilots in this country.
This has been a consistent strategy of Air Canada’s since a FOS (2012). The growth strategy has been to target sixth freedom traffic on the east coast and fly them overseas through either a hub in YYZ or YUL, with a cheaper labour force than American carriers.

Juniorpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Juniorpilot »

Hi,

How long after the interview does the PFO email usually come? Done mine about 1 month and half ago and still nothing. Should I considered myself safe?

Last edited by Juniorpilot on Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tata324
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tata324 »

Hi everyone, I did the interview in late November and I have not heard back from them. No criminal record check either. I got in touch and I was told my file was being processed and they'll get back to me soon. Is there anyone in the same position it's been 7 weeks so far. should I still believe no news is good news I have 3000+ 705 jet time. Any tips would help thanks

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

tata324 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:38 am Hi everyone, I did the interview in late November and I have not heard back from them. No criminal record check either. I got in touch and I was told my file was being processed and they'll get back to me soon. Is there anyone in the same position it's been 7 weeks so far. should I still believe no news is good news I have 3000+ 705 jet time. Any tips would help thanks
No news is good news. Your time waiting depends on your experience and qualifications. So if you have a degree, 705 jet PIC experience, etc… You’ll get put to the top of the list. If you have less experience, not much PIC, no post secondary etc… It’ll take longer for them to get to you. So no news is good news.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
TheBen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheBen »

tata324 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:38 am Hi everyone, I did the interview in late November and I have not heard back from them. No criminal record check either. I got in touch and I was told my file was being processed and they'll get back to me soon. Is there anyone in the same position it's been 7 weeks so far. should I still believe no news is good news I have 3000+ 705 jet time. Any tips would help thanks
Well same here. Did my interview in nov. Beginning of December my background check + references… no news since then..Does anyone received an offer recently?

Thnks !

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

jpilot77 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:07 am
No news is good news. Your time waiting depends on your experience and qualifications. So if you have a degree, 705 jet PIC experience, etc… You’ll get put to the top of the list. If you have less experience, not much PIC, no postsecondary etc… It’ll take longer for them to get to you. So no news is good news.
The HR system at AC is a weird animal.
I've seen people with 2200 TT no 705PIC but a degree to be called. I've seen others with no degree and no 705 PIC and 2500TT getting called.
I've also seen 705 PIC captain with 4500TT not even getting called for an interview...

The thing that could also make the file processing a bit slower is either the references taking their time to reply to AC or the MMPI test being either not good or the company processing the test losing the test in the system hence delaying giving the results.

tata324
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tata324 »

Babar350 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:35 am
jpilot77 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:07 am
No news is good news. Your time waiting depends on your experience and qualifications. So if you have a degree, 705 jet PIC experience, etc… You’ll get put to the top of the list. If you have less experience, not much PIC, no postsecondary etc… It’ll take longer for them to get to you. So no news is good news.
The HR system at AC is a weird animal.
I've seen people with 2200 TT no 705PIC but a degree to be called. I've seen others with no degree and no 705 PIC and 2500TT getting called.
I've also seen 705 PIC captain with 4500TT not even getting called for an interview...

The thing that could also make the file processing a bit slower is either the references taking their time to reply to AC or the MMPI test being either not good or the company processing the test losing the test in the system hence delaying giving the results.
Thanks for the heads up everyone, I would wait and see what goes on.

Return to “Air Canada”