Class 4 Medical Issue

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mxranger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Class 4 Medical Issue

Post by Mxranger »

So, just back from my doctor, and he claims no point in signing my class 4 medical because of a reference to a kidney stone 8 yrs ago in my file (he wasn't my doctor then) never had any follow-up treatment.............
My doctor went onto tell me that is what ended his flying after 20+ hrs and solo in the RAF,before becoming a doctor.

Am I screwed for RPP?

My doctor suggested I contact an aviation doctor and look into a class 3 medical.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Class 4 Medical Issue

Post by digits_ »

You can get an RPP with a class 3 medical as well. I would find it very weird that a kidney stone 8 yrs ago would not get you a class 3 medical. But as he said: contact an aviation doctor.

Good luck !

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Here is what the CAME handbook says:

Renal Calculi:
Single episodes my be acceptable after recovery if IVP or ultrasound shows no stones present, and a metabolic work-up is normal. Repeated episodes will need a full work-up and individual assessment.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-2184.htm

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Mxranger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mxranger »

photofly,

Thanks for the tip,

I should have more clear (my mistake), I did not require any treatment but follow-up visits never found any sign of a stone or blockage.Only ever had one issue, never a 2nd episode, so I should have been go to go.
Strange my current doctor would have not read TC policies, seeing he has some flight training?

I have an appointment for a class 3 medical exam with an aviation doctor.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Medical policies change over time, and the RAF's standards aren't the same as those of Transport Canada. (Perhaps it was sour grapes on your doctor's part.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Even some aviation doctors don't know all the policies or requirements!

Have Pratts - Will Travel
CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

I'm sure that you are going there to do this, however make sure you mention the stone! Saying now "nope no problems there" could come back to haunt you since you fessed up to your GP already.

PED
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PED »

Hi,

How did it work for you. I did not realize Kidney Stones were such a big deal. Like yourself had an episode years ago. follow up found some residuals which I thought nothing of. Renewed my Class 3 Med a couple of years ago, but when I went back this year to renew, a comedy of errors caused CAME to dig up what I thought was insignificant news. I have an US scheduled for mid July, fingers crossed it will be clean.

PED

Return to “General Comments”