Page 1 of 3
Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:15 pm
by seventhwonder
How's it going everyone, this is my first post here, though I've been doing allot of reading and I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum.
I'm currently a student finishing up my CPL with Mutli/IFR in about 5 months. The instructor rating is a possibility for me but I would much rather fly for a company if I have the chance. I have a pretty good idea of what the North American prospects are like, I'm looking for information on what countries currently have booming operations and are looking for quality foreign licensed pilots. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, the only stipulation (and probably a breaking one), is that the salary would have to be enough to cover my student loan payments (I'd like to contribute around 1000/month).
Thanks in advance!
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:53 pm
by Keppen
For the most part in this industry, the country whom the company belongs usually hires their own locals if possible. Depends which part of flying in the industry you are looking for anywhere but Europe seem to be open.
Most companies do look for the quality foreign pilots with well rounded experience in a variety of aircraft and conditions. Training is expensive and losing an aircraft costs even more.
I believe you could do with a bit more reading on pilot life. Salaries for entry level are typically low enough that you live; increasing only after you have proven yourself and your dependability. It's like street creds and currently you have none. Earn your worth and the rest will come.
All that being said there are some areas in Africa I believe willing to hire if you have been in the area for a month. Usually living out of a tent and visiting the operators regularly. Cant remember the season but there is a specific time usually.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:17 pm
by digits_
seventhwonder wrote:How's it going everyone, this is my first post here, though I've been doing allot of reading and I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum.
I'm currently a student finishing up my CPL with Mutli/IFR in about 5 months. The instructor rating is a possibility for me but I would much rather fly for a company if I have the chance. I have a pretty good idea of what the North American prospects are like, I'm looking for information on what countries currently have booming operations and are looking for quality foreign licensed pilots. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, the only stipulation (and probably a breaking one), is that the salary would have to be enough to cover my student loan payments (I'd like to contribute around 1000/month).
Thanks in advance!
Canada is the best country to start out as a low time pilot.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:40 pm
by cdnpilot77
Keppen wrote: All that being said there are some areas in Africa I believe willing to hire if you have been in the area for a month. Usually living out of a tent and visiting the operators regularly. Cant remember the season but there is a specific time usually.
I believe you are thinking Maun Botswana. There is an occasional poster here who wrote an excellent blog a few years back about his experience. Check out pprune Africa section as well. Last I heard is that Botswana tightened up (or attempted to) it's use of foreign pilots. Can't speak whether that is true or not, but there are a number of people on this forum who have done it and I really wish I had when I was young, dumb and full of .... Money.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:31 pm
by Sbull9356
Try to look beyond North America and Europe there is big world out there.
http://www.susiair.com/career. This will be great experience for any young lads and ladies.
https://youtu.be/XqkjRxzztJQ
Good luck

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:56 am
by Keppen
Last i heard Susi Air doesn't hire below 800 hours, although the website has yet again changed to include 250. They used to be popular for low time pilots. Amazing scenery and challenging work environment.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:12 am
by Sbull9356
The requirement do change as often as the season, best thing todo just keep an eye out and keep emailing them what have got to lose...
The experience one would gain is like no other....

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:05 pm
by SuperchargedRS
digits_ wrote:seventhwonder wrote:How's it going everyone, this is my first post here, though I've been doing allot of reading and I really appreciate the wealth of information on this forum.
I'm currently a student finishing up my CPL with Mutli/IFR in about 5 months. The instructor rating is a possibility for me but I would much rather fly for a company if I have the chance. I have a pretty good idea of what the North American prospects are like, I'm looking for information on what countries currently have booming operations and are looking for quality foreign licensed pilots. Anywhere in the world is fine with me, the only stipulation (and probably a breaking one), is that the salary would have to be enough to cover my student loan payments (I'd like to contribute around 1000/month).
Thanks in advance!
Canada is the best country to start out as a low time pilot.
Ha!
The US is far easier to get started out and progress, also better for GA in general, if you can work there.
Good buddy of mine did quite well in Namibia, Botswana is also a option.
Personally, I'd go to Windhoek, Namibia, you'll get some REAL experience, it's a beautiful place, and once you get about 1k TT you can head over to TZ, get some IFR experience and have a rather nice QOL.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:52 pm
by atphat
Ha? Myself and pretty much every pilot I know have done quite well here in Canada. Never thought I'd hear someone say move to Africa in search of a better QOL.
Edit: to the OP
There is a good chance you'll eat some sh#t early on in your career here in Canada. Accept it, own it, and prosper.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:07 pm
by C208
Tanzania!
Not a day goes by where I don't think about the memories I made there.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:30 am
by SuperchargedRS
atphat wrote:Ha? Myself and pretty much every pilot I know have done quite well here in Canada. Never thought I'd hear someone say move to Africa in search of a better QOL.
Edit: to the OP
There is a good chance you'll eat some sh#t early on in your career here in Canada. Accept it, own it, and prosper.
Way better QOL, more freedom to live your own life, government is too weak to try to run your life, as if you're a child like in Canada, way better food, way better wx, money goes way further, much more respect for the profession, yeah, better QOL compared to much of North America
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:40 pm
by flyinhigh
Ahhh, that company ain't got nothing on robert downey junior and Air America......
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:52 am
by Just another canuck
I've done both Susi Air and Tanzania. I would recommend avoiding Susi. But I give a big thumbs up for Botswana or Tanzania. You'll learn a ton and build time fast and you'll see things and spend time in places that tourists pay a small fortune to do. It's absolutely beautiful there. Good luck!
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:39 am
by atphat
SuperchargedRS wrote:
Way better QOL, more freedom to live your own life, government is too weak to try to run your life, as if you're a child like in Canada, way better food, way better wx, money goes way further, much more respect for the profession, yeah, better QOL compared to much of North America
Not to sound too douchey but........Not sure who you work for or where you live but..... I'd wager my QOL against any there any day.
All in
Atp
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:08 pm
by Cat Driver
Having flown and worked in over twenty five countries in Africa I will take Africa over Canada any day as a place to work as a pilot.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:10 pm
by atphat
Fair enough. I'm sure both of you are enjoying your time in Africa. Enjoy your time abroad. Wait........
I'm willing to bet both of you are in Canada. If you're not..... I'll eat my hat

Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm
by Chuck Ellsworth
I'm willing to bet both of you are in Canada. If you're not..... I'll eat my hat
Yes I am in Canada and retired after working outside Canada for many years.
The best thing that ever happened to me in aviation was leaving Canada to fly in many other countries.
Canada is a socialistic nightmare.
Transport Canada is beyond doubt the worst regulator I ever worked under...period.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:11 am
by SuperchargedRS
What he said.
Socialists HATE it when anyone even debates leaving the collective.
I'm living/working stateside right now, I got a unsolicited offer while I was living in Africa actually, had it not been for the been for the pay, sched, mission, and them paying all my relocation costs, I'd still be over there.
Frankly until you got well over ATP mins, Africa is miles better than Canada for a fresh pilot.
So for the Africa naysayers, where in Africa did you live?
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:00 pm
by seventhwonder
Thanks for the input guys, currently searching over Africa and the Caribbean/South America. I have citizenship in Trinidad and Tobago (CARICOM) as well and I hear that helps out lots down south.
Based on what I've researched, Africa seems like a wild west in terms of where and who is hiring and friendly towards low time foreigners right now. Regions and airlines seem to change yearly, so if anyone has current information or know of anyone currently with an airline down there post up names and I'll check it out!
I'd also mention that I'm of east indian descent, not sure if my tasty mocha skin puts me at a disadvantage there...don't be shy, being polite instead of realistic is for high school.
Thanks again guys
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:44 am
by Just another canuck
…
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:45 pm
by Cat Driver
There is a good chance you'll eat some sh#t early on in your career here in Canada. Accept it, own it, and prosper.
Typical Canadian pilot, sees nothing wrong with eating shit just to fly an airplane.
No wonder aviation is the way it is in Canada when you have people who will do anything including eat shit to fly an airplane.
I was not born in Canada but became a Canadian citizen without my own consent, as life progressed I have ended up retired here because that is where my assets happen to have ended up.
Just paid another ten thousand more dollars on my income tax that was assessed against me for last years income.....brutal just brutal the tax structure under socialism.
At least here in B.C. we are a bit better off than Ontario, we just returned from a trip there in the motor home looking at property there....Ontario makes Nigeria look real good as far as the roads and highways go and the taxes there are just plain extortion considering what they get for their tax money.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:20 pm
by SuperchargedRS
Cat Driver wrote:There is a good chance you'll eat some sh#t early on in your career here in Canada. Accept it, own it, and prosper.
Typical Canadian pilot, sees nothing wrong with eating shit just to fly an airplane.
No wonder aviation is the way it is in Canada when you have people who will do anything including eat shit to fly an airplane.
I was not born in Canada but became a Canadian citizen without my own consent, as life progressed I have ended up retired here because that is where my assets happen to have ended up.
Just paid another ten thousand more dollars on my income tax that was assessed against me for last years income.....brutal just brutal the tax structure under socialism.
At least here in B.C. we are a bit better off than Ontario, we just returned from a trip there in the motor home looking at property there....Ontario makes Nigeria look real good as far as the roads and highways go and the taxes there are just plain extortion considering what they get for their tax money.
Well said
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:37 pm
by Chuck Ellsworth
Aviation in Canada can never improve for pilots if pilots are willing to " eat shit " to fly for a living.
One reason I use my real name on these forums is to give some credibility to my opinions concerning the industry.
During my career I never compromised my integrity as a professional pilot just to get or hold a job.
In fact I walked away from more than one job because I would not fly in contravention of the law such as flying over loads or poorly maintained airplanes.
One memorable one was with a well known operator who offered me a short term contract in the High Arctic, I talked to the owner and made it clear I do not break the rules for anyone. He agreed to hire me with the understanding the flying would be within the rules.
Well on my very first trip when they were loading the Twin Otter and the load got to the legal amount I could fly the trip with I told them that was all I would take.....it was easy to determine the load because it was dynamite in fifty pound boxes.
Anyhow the customer said they had an agreement to fly xxx pounds per load and I was going to fly it.
I said if they put another pound on the airplane I was going back to Calgary...period.
Within three days they had another pilot flown up to the Arctic and I was flown back home.
The owner of the company refused to pay me for the time I worked.
I told him that I was well aware that Transport would not back me up but I reminded him that the Aeronautics Act is a Federal law and unless I got my pay immediately I was going to lay a charge of trying to intimidate me int breaking Federal Law with the RCMP.
He paid me right there because he knew I had him by the nuts.
The RCMP can not refuse to act on a complaint that involves breaking Federal Law.
My message is you should never " eat shit " instead you should ram their attempts at intimidating you into breaking the law right up their asses.
. .
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 am
by atphat
If I'm a typical Canadian pilot then all the up and comers should be excited. By "most" litmus tests of success in Canadian aviation I made it. Despite the perceived hurdles one has to face. Respectable 6 figure salary. Great lifestyle. Respectable pension. Best working conditions in the country. All for the low low price of doing what needed to be done. All before I'm 35.
When I got into this industry I didn't bitch and moan at what was left for me by previous generations of pilots. I set goals and achieved them . No blame on anyone else. No excuses. I guess I'm just that kind of person.
Whether you agree or not about the climate of our industry and what one has to do to succeed, who cares. Sink or swim.
Wah wah wah.
I definitely ate some sh#t at the beginning of my career. It sucked. I did it and moved on. Big deal
Atp
Edit: when I talk about eating sh#t I'm not talking about breaking any laws. I'm talking about ramp work etc.
Re: Best Countries/Operations for low time pilots
Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:51 am
by NickyNick
atphat wrote:If I'm a typical Canadian pilot then all the up and comers should be excited. By "most" litmus tests of success in Canadian aviation I made it. Despite the perceived hurdles one has to face. Respectable 6 figure salary. Great lifestyle. Respectable pension. Best working conditions in the country. All for the low low price of doing what needed to be done. All before I'm 35.
When I got into this industry I didn't bitch and moan at what was left for me by previous generations of pilots. I set goals and achieved them . No blame on anyone else. No excuses. I guess I'm just that kind of person.
Whether you agree or not about the climate of our industry and what one has to do to succeed, who cares. Sink or swim.
Wah wah wah.
I definitely ate some sh#t at the beginning of my career. It sucked. I did it and moved on. Big deal
Atp
You are in the minority, I've worked hard, kept my mouth closed and I'm still unable to get a regional job to further advance.