New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New hire bids

Post by Turboprops »

ellinas wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:32 pm
So basically us 700 hour wannabes are just wasting our time trying to get something. We need over 1500 hours to even hit the nail on the head. Makes sense , experience counts
I don’t get it, based on your post history, you’re just gonna sit there and wait for 705s to start hiring 700 hr pilots?
You know these 1500 hr guys were once 700 hr pilots too. Lower your standards, find other jobs to get to 1500, instead of hoping airlines to lower their requirements.
---------- ADS -----------

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

Turboprops wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:03 pm
So basically us 700 hour wannabes are just wasting our time trying to get something. We need over 1500 hours to even hit the nail on the head. Makes sense , experience counts
I don’t get it, based on your post history, you’re just gonna sit there and wait for 705s to start hiring 700 hr pilots?
You know these 1500 hr guys were once 700 hr pilots too. Lower your standards, find other jobs to get to 1500, instead of hoping airlines to lower their requirements.
No! I totally agree with you 100%! Guys like me at 700 hours shouldn’t be even close to a 705 job, we need to ride the bench as they say in hockey somewhere else flying smaller craft gaining ground. I would not feel comfortable in the 705 world until I get some more experience.
I’ll be happy as crap starting out flying a PC12 and learning that and I hope with my time I can get a job like that being an old fart in my 50s!

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
negative_g
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by negative_g »

kiaszceski wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:04 am
ellinas wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:50 am

So there is a shortage of experienced pilots over 1000 hours not necessarily 500 hours pilots or just shortage of all pilots.
1000h pilot doesn’t necessarily mean experienced pilots.
They need DEC, quick upgradable (3-6 months), in that order. When they won’t be able to fill in their DEC courses, they will call the quick upgradable candidates. Then the low timers.
Now does a 703 captain or a 1000hrs single pilot Navajo or a multi-IfR instructor or a 705 FO is the best fit to be a Q4 or CRJ captain, that is up to flight ops to decide.
They have all the numbers that show what might be the failure rate in each category.

You know how easy it is to get a medevac FO job right now? If you want to expedite your experience go do that, find an operator that's super busy. Sign a bond if needed, they're mostly all pro rated anyways. Work your ass off for 6-8 months, pay out 3k on your bond and move on in life. Instead of sitting waiting for Jazz to hire 700 hour FOs. Honestly.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

This. :up:

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

ellinas wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:22 am
No! I totally agree with you 100%! Guys like me at 700 hours shouldn’t be even close to a 705 job, we need to ride the bench as they say in hockey somewhere else flying smaller craft gaining ground. I would not feel comfortable in the 705 world until I get some more experience.
I’ll be happy as crap starting out flying a PC12 and learning that and I hope with my time I can get a job like that being an old fart in my 50s!
The success rate for sub 2000 hour pilots coming from 703 or small 704 operators to a large carrier is low and there are significant challenges and extra training requirements for those that are successful. Most 705 operators prefer to hire 2500+ hour pilots.

Once they start getting into sub 2000 hour pilots, airlines would rather start a cadet program as they then control the intake and standards from day 1.

In short, a 700-hour pilot is never going to be very attractive to an airline.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Entitled moron who thinks he deserves to be on an airliner because he has a CPL and a pulse.

It's literally never been any easier to get left seat 703/704 experience. Airline companies also want candidates that they know they can pass an upgrade course down the road. 500 hours of raising the flaps up and down after getting a CPL hardly qualifies your ass to fly a fully loaded Dash8 in CYCG in winter and most captains are getting tired of baby sitting inexperienced drooling idiots who can barely tie their own shoes. Flying with a clueless moron is worst than SP-IFR.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

daedalusx wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:53 am

Entitled moron who thinks he deserves to be on an airliner because he has a CPL and a pulse.

It's literally never been any easier to get left seat 703/704 experience. Airline companies also want candidates that they know they can pass an upgrade course down the road. 500 hours of raising the flaps up and down after getting a CPL hardly qualifies your ass to fly a fully loaded Dash8 in CYCG in winter and most captains are getting tired of baby sitting inexperienced drooling idiots who can barely tie their own shoes. Flying with a clueless moron is worst than SP-IFR.
Now I’m a moron, thank you for your kind words much appreciated. I’m the first to say I’m not anywhere ready to fly the big planes you big boys do. I won’t stoop to your level by calling you names but if it makes you happy go ahead.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

what does this all have to do with "New Hire Bids"?

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

ellinas wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:55 am Now I’m a moron, thank you for your kind words much appreciated. I’m the first to say I’m not anywhere ready to fly the big planes you big boys do. I won’t stoop to your level by calling you names but if it makes you happy go ahead.
It's a jump going from instructing to the right seat of an airliner flying hard-IFR.

That doesn't make you any less ready or capable. Whether you are jumping into a metroliner, a Q, or a 737, the IFR is the same and the aircraft type rating is trained by the airline. If the airline wants to hire lower time pilots, they will create a training program designed to train less experienced pilots. It's nothing new.

Sunwing - 200 hours
Jazz - 200 hours
Encore - 1000 hours
Porter - 1000 hours
WestJet - 1500 hours
Flair - 1500 hours
Air Canada - 2000 hours
Air Transat - 2000 hours

All of the above airlines have pilots who came on plus or minus their "minimum" hour requirement. All of these airlines have successfully trained said pilots. All of these airlines are continuing to do so.

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 100822 »

A couple of questions about Jazz if anyone would be so kind...

(1) What is the average number of days worked at the moment? Does this vary significantly between base/equipment? How much seniority would it take an FO, and also a Captain, to get a more 'desirable' schedule with fewer, higher credit days worked at the moment?

(2) What is the number of credits paid versus flying hours worked? For example, from my research it seems the min monthly block is variable and something between 75-85 hours depending on the month. Are blockholding pilots currently being scheduled 75-85 flying hours or is it something more like being scheduled for an MMG of 80 hours and being scheduled to fly 60-65 actual flying hours because of the min day/trip/duty rigs?

(3) What is the availability of overtime like on days off? Are a choice of 'WDOs' available basically every day in every base on every equipment, or are there large variances in the availability of overtime right now depending on base/equipment with it very rare in some positions?

(4) Is there one layover hotel in each city or is there different ones depending on length of layover? (e.g. over 15 hours layover would have to be at the downtown hotel?).

(5) Once a pilot meets the requirements for an upgrade to Captain, what is the timeline on bidding and being awarded the opportunity to train for the upgrade? (e.g. is there a monthly or quarterly position/equipment bid for a start date several months down the road?).

(6) How common are 'stand-up' continuous duty pairings in the schedule? Do they count as two days worked? If offered and picked up as overtime do they count as two WDOs (one for each day in which there is duty)?

(7) I have heard the employee share of benefits deduction is high and has increased significantly recently. Approximately how much could a Cpt/FO with dependents expect to have deducted monthly?

Thanks !

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

100822 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:55 am A couple of questions about Jazz if anyone would be so kind...

(1) What is the average number of days worked at the moment? Does this vary significantly between base/equipment? How much seniority would it take an FO, and also a Captain, to get a more 'desirable' schedule with fewer, higher credit days worked at the moment?
Pilots contractually get 12 days off per months. Block holders capable of bidding high credit pairings have been able to et schedules with as high as 16 days off but not something one should plan on.

(2) What is the number of credits paid versus flying hours worked? For example, from my research it seems the min monthly block is variable and something between 75-85 hours depending on the month. Are blockholding pilots currently being scheduled 75-85 flying hours or is it something more like being scheduled for an MMG of 80 hours and being scheduled to fly 60-65 actual flying hours because of the min day/trip/duty rigs?
You have to look at how pairings are built. The credits awarded for a duty period is either the number of hours flown (leg day), half of your hours on duty (a duty day) or 4.5 credits (min day) whichever is higher. Credits for a pairing is the addition of the credits of each duty period (or day). A schedule is built in the blocking window for the month and will be at least 75 credits, and any credits above 85 will be paid as OT (1.5).
And to answer your question, how much flying you will have to do for those credits really depends on the pairings you get awarded.

(3) What is the availability of overtime like on days off? Are a choice of 'WDOs' available basically every day in every base on every equipment, or are there large variances in the availability of overtime right now depending on base/equipment with it very rare in some positions?
These days there is a lot of extra flying available on all base/position/types for those who wish to fly more than what they are scheduled, all conditional to CARs fatigue rules. Open flying picked up is paid as straight time until you reach the OT threshold of 85 credits. Pilots that are called and accept to fly on a day off is paid as OT regardless.

(4) Is there one layover hotel in each city or is there different ones depending on length of layover? (e.g. over 15 hours layover would have to be at the downtown hotel?).
Some cities have a short and long layover hotels but not all of them depending on the need to have them or not.

(5) Once a pilot meets the requirements for an upgrade to Captain, what is the timeline on bidding and being awarded the opportunity to train for the upgrade? (e.g. is there a monthly or quarterly position/equipment bid for a start date several months down the road?).
Pilots can bid and be awarded an upgrade as soon as they hold an ATPL. There are 2 equipment bids per year (Jan and Aug) where these positions are awarded. There can be backfills in between bids if required. effective and traiing dates are published with those bids.

(6) How common are 'stand-up' continuous duty pairings in the schedule? Do they count as two days worked? If offered and picked up as overtime do they count as two WDOs (one for each day in which there is duty)?
There are CDOs, I wouldn't know what you consider common but they are not rare, nor frequent. They count as one duty period, ie
4.5 is the guarantee, not 9. They count as 2 days in your schedule for the purpose of counting min days off.

(7) I have heard the employee share of benefits deduction is high and has increased significantly recently. Approximately how much could a Cpt/FO with dependents expect to have deducted monthly?
It is high, but varies from pilot to pilots. Expect that more than 50% of your gross salary will be deductions.

Thanks !
Hope that answers your questions.

Rwy17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rwy17 »

Does anvone know the status of the pool?

I know its dependant on class sizes and experience. I'm in it, with several hundred Multi-Crew turbine and over 1000TT.

Im guessing classes are Oct 31 (full), Nov 21, Dec 12 if they run one over Christmas. But its tough to tell as I know they shifted their hiring focus to mainly DEC's. Does anyone have any intel on if FO's might start getting a call again soon?

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Rwy17 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:35 pm Does anvone know the status of the pool?

I know its dependant on class sizes and experience. I'm in it, with several hundred Multi-Crew turbine and over 1000TT.

Im guessing classes are Oct 31 (full), Nov 21, Dec 12 if they run one over Christmas. But its tough to tell as I know they shifted their hiring focus to mainly DEC's. Does anyone have any intel on if FO's might start getting a call again soon?
Calls are going out for nov 21st.

windows94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by windows94 »

Any word on what the October 31st class bids were?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

windows94 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:20 pm Any word on what the October 31st class bids were?
All Qs, YYZ and YYC

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Outlaw58 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:42 am
windows94 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:20 pm Any word on what the October 31st class bids were?
All Qs, YYZ and YYC

Wasn't the class supposed to be DEC only?

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

New FO GS’s starting January onward. Assuming equipment will be Q400 heavy..

Do lower seniority folks have any chance at the crj/emb given future need when they assign? Curious as want to hold YYZ base and home the most.

windows94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by windows94 »

I think it's a bit of a coin toss right now what you will get initially.
CRJ and Q could be equally likely there are vacancies across the board as far as I'm aware. Whatever base you get you should be able to switch bases in a matter of months.

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Anyone have info on next GS’s? Was told new year they’d start a steady amount of classes, wondering if anyone has been contacted to start training

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

PIC26 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:01 pm Anyone have info on next GS’s? Was told new year they’d start a steady amount of classes, wondering if anyone has been contacted to start training
While you wait, apply to any other regional and go there if you get an offer. Not to beat a dead horse but jazz has the lowest regional pay, and is the slowest path to Air Canada. So no benefit working at jazz. However, to get 705 experience if no one else calls. I would definitely say it’s a good stepping stone.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”