New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

New hire bids

Post by Black_Tusk »

Does anyone know what is up for grabs for the class that started today? And potentially what they are trying to fill as priority for the next few classes before Xmas.
---------- ADS -----------

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New hire bids

Post by AllClutch »

I imagine you will see a bunch of YVR jet before the new year as that base is supposed to be opening up Jan 1.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Since I posted the question I've now heard both the 14th abd 21st of this month were/are all classic. 16 per class. Between YVR/YYZ.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I would imagine this would be the last class of the year, eh?

Das ist mir wurst...
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

There is a class on the 28th, and another in early December. They split a 16 person class between the 28th and December. Don't know why.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Black_Tusk wrote:There is a class on the 28th, and another in early December. They split a 16 person class between the 28th and December. Don't know why.
Do you happen to know when in December the class would be?

A V I A T O
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A V I A T O »

12th

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Nothing for yyc?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There are openings at All bases. This will continue as the last of the deferrals come up and we continue to expand. Mostly though, you'll see YYC and YVR. All aircraft at those bases and enough movement that even if you don;t get what you want base wise, you'll be there shortly anyways. Unless you're RJ and want YYZ.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Anyone with predictions for ground schools and hiring for 2017 ?

Gravity always wins
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I've been told they need to hire close to 190 pilots by this time next year. That's more or less from people who would know but it's still second hand information. So take it for what you will.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Just an FYI: if you want YYC, don't "choose" the Classic. The base is tiny (21 FO roster) and the FO waiting list for YYC is quite long from what I've heard recently on the classic.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

KenoraPilot wrote:Just an FYI: if you want YYC, don't "choose" the Classic. The base is tiny (21 FO roster) and the FO waiting list for YYC is quite long from what I've heard recently on the classic.
So any news (aka rumors) on what future Ground School "offers" may be?

Das ist mir wurst...
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Judging by the vacancies.. You'll see YVR CRJ, YVR Q, YVR CLASSIC and probably;y some YYZ Q and YUL Q and classic FO spots.

As a friendly pointer (I know it was asked elsewhere about RSV) I spent a whopping 2 days on reserve and thats only as I forgot to bid. It really depends on the base and the class at that exact time. With the amount of movement now its incredibly hard to tell, but either way it won't be long till you hold a block.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

It all depends on your timing and base. I was the bottom in YVR for 5 months and on rsv now I am on the bottom in YYC and on rsv. Looks about 7-9mths of RSV for me before getting a flying line. Others are lucky and have never seen Reserve. It also took me 7mths to get the base I wanted....so it's all timing. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.....it's all seniority and timing based. Good luck!

A V I A T O
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A V I A T O »

Starting GS next week - trying to get to YYZ. If given the choice of the Q400 or the Classic at a different base, could any current Jazz folks weigh in on which of the two fleets would see faster movement to getting a YYZ base?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

A V I A T O wrote:Starting GS next week - trying to get to YYZ. If given the choice of the Q400 or the Classic at a different base, could any current Jazz folks weigh in on which of the two fleets would see faster movement to getting a YYZ base?
At the moment, I believe the Q movement is quicker. It also has the larger roster, so there's more chance of guys leaving.

On the last large bid, there were several vacancies on the Q in YUL, so that may be an option. Obviously, just don't bid the jet if you are hoping for YYZ.

Good luck!

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Right now you may have trouble with the Q as a lot of pilots from the RJ moved onto the Q when it was reduced. I'd say the Classic is your best bet. There have been a number of ground schools for YYZ recently, so you may not get it initially. I imagine the next few GS will all be YVR/YYC Q and RJ.

Recent GS have been in no particular order, YYZ/YVR Classic, YYC RJ, YUL Classic/RJ/Q. Various of each, the most being the Classic.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

So the next ground school is Dec 12. Are there any firm ones scheduled in Jan 2017?

Hans

Das ist mir wurst...
flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

Guys, if you care about upgrading, it DOES NOT matter what aircraft you get on.

Captain upgrades are completely seniority based, regardless of your current aircraft type. For instance, if you are an RJ FO and a spot opens up for captain on the DH8, you will be given that spot (provided you ask for it, of course). Jazz will never stop you from switching over types if you are eligible to hold your first captain upgrade.

So suggestions for new hires, bid for whatever gets you soonest to your desired base. The upgrade will come at the same point, regardless of what you pick.

That being said, it is of course an easier transition to upgrade on the same type you are already an FO on. But there's no use planning all that when the upgrade is 1-2 years away and things can change. You might even be at Air Canada by then.

Just one tip as mentioned previously: if you want to stay in YYZ, pick anything but an RJ (if for some reason you don't know already, the YYZ RJ base is closing by mid-2017)

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”