Prop departs Saab 340 in Australia.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Prop departs Saab 340 in Australia.

Post by cncpc »

What does happen when the whole prop comes off? Moves forward a bit and drops?
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ver-sydney
---------- ADS -----------

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Prop departs Saab 340 in Australia.

Post by Heliian »

It departs wherever it wants to go and then falls to earth like a big chunk of metal. Ctvnews story says they just called a pan pan? Maybe I just worry too much but I think I'd call m'aidez!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I prefer not sit in a seat in line with the propeller. When a prop lets go, it frequently penetrates the cabin. If you are in a seat like this and there will be an emergency landing due to gear issues, I would suggest finding another seat. If none are available, the jump seat could be a possibility but probably not. If no other option was available, I would likely leave my seat just prior to landing.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

At least they didn't have to worry about feathering it.

I saw the effects of this on an NWT Electra in YQT back in the mid-eighties. Arrived one morning to see the Electra parked on the ramp. We were curious why the airplane was there, but as we taxiied by it became very clear - both props and what looked like one gearbox were missing from one side. It appeared as though one prop let go then took its neighbor with it.
Fun times for that crew for sure.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

pelmet wrote:I prefer not sit in a seat in line with the propeller. When a prop lets go, it frequently penetrates the cabin. If you are in a seat like this and there will be an emergency landing due to gear issues, I would suggest finding another seat. If none are available, the jump seat could be a possibility but probably not. If no other option was available, I would likely leave my seat just prior to landing.
Yep, row 7 on the 400's. If I can't get a spot in row 1-4 I go to the back.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Wow history does repeat itself! A good friend was a passenger on a Saab 340 a number of years ago south of New York City and the right propeller departed the aircraft. The did an emergency landing and landed without any injuries.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 am I prefer not sit in a seat in line with the propeller. When a prop lets go, it frequently penetrates the cabin. If you are in a seat like this and there will be an emergency landing due to gear issues, I would suggest finding another seat. If none are available, the jump seat could be a possibility but probably not. If no other option was available, I would likely leave my seat just prior to landing.
Another reason to avoid the seats in line with the propeller........

https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-ze ... berra.html

.....even the strap can get you.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

rxl wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 am At least they didn't have to worry about feathering it.

I saw the effects of this on an NWT Electra in YQT back in the mid-eighties. Arrived one morning to see the Electra parked on the ramp. We were curious why the airplane was there, but as we taxiied by it became very clear - both props and what looked like one gearbox were missing from one side. It appeared as though one prop let go then took its neighbor with it.
Are you talking about Reeve Aleutian Airways flight 8?

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Different occurrence. This was after the Reeve incident. Night cargo flight. I can't find it in any database, and most of the relevant details escape me.

cykj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cykj »

rxl wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 am At least they didn't have to worry about feathering it.

I remember that. A little taxi down memory lane.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”