Soft ground grabs another Cessna

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Soft ground grabs another Cessna

Post by pelmet »

Cat Driver wrote:
35 knot tailwind landings.
Why?
It is called extreme exaggeration.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Or bizarre thinking.

It is really scarey knowing some people think like that.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

It was a demo/delivery flight to a buyer of the plane ,,, he was suitably impressed with the handling qualities and conditions were right so I was not concerned in any way !

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

If I said I landed an aeroplane in a direct crosswind of more than 15 mph, would you say I was a fool or incompetent or exaggerating or a liar or unsafe?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

We all have our own way of making flying decisions.

I personally can not think of any reason to land with a 35 knot tail wind.

Cross winds are another subject because there can be times when you are faced with cross winds you had not anticipated.

But to each his own.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Cat Driver wrote:We all have our own way of making flying decisions.

I personally can not think of any reason to land with a 35 knot tail wind.

Cross winds are another subject because there can be times when you are faced with cross winds you had not anticipated.

But to each his own.
It has been done in YFB I think at close to those winds. ILS approach the only option left with an unforecast or changed weather possibly combined with someone caught out not carrying some extra fuel....... or so the story goes.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Ahh Frobisher Bay, been a long time since I was there but back then I think it had a localizer and the ADF beacon was off to one side.

That trip was in one of NWT's DC3's, I did the trip for them one day when I was based there on a water bomber and the weather was so bad you couldn't start a fire with a nuclear bomb. Must have been around 1974 or so.

So yeh I can see landing with a thirty five knot tail wind there if you had no other choice. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Cat Driver on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

These guys were trying 25-30 on the tail. Didn't end well....

http://aviationweek.com/bca/poor-decisi ... gger-crash

Ok back to the skydiving accidents.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Who are the actual people behind "Southwestern Ontario Organization Of Parachutists"?

Sounds like this is shrouded in secrecy.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
bodyflyer2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bodyflyer2 »

SWOOP (Southwestern Ontario Organization Of Parachutists) is just regular dropzone, when it comes to its activities.

It has been around since, well, 1979 it seems from that previous link to gov't data on corporations. At Grand Bend originally, but moved to Dundas (north of Hamilton) probably 20+ years ago.

At the company level, unlike almost all other Canadian dropzones, it is a non-profit organization, with directors and such changing over the years, rather than being a for-profit company with typically one or two entrepreneur owners.

As in the 2017 part of the thread, yeah that airstrip is very narrow, and oriented more or less north-south, not so convenient with normal westerly winds. Normally they have managed quite well despite that, over the decades.

(I know a bit about SWOOP as I've jumped there from time to time over the years.)

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

pelmet wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 pm
Cat Driver wrote:
Why?
It is called extreme exaggeration.
That tailwind might be ok on a "curving hiway" LOL, isn't that how you learn?

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

bodyflyer2 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am As in the 2017 part of the thread, yeah that airstrip is very narrow, and oriented more or less north-south, not so convenient with normal westerly winds. Normally they have managed quite well despite that, over the decades.
The "veering" (first post on thread) IMO might not have taken much here if the "normal westerly" is already brisk at near 90degrees there. The slopes near this basin are tricky that way as I found out for real once, a few kms east of Dundas (at Jordan Valley) ... in that it can happen, choosing the North direction in a breakeven situation, that the overhead / midfield component (away from sock) can actually be the strong opposite for that landing direction on one occasion. (Bigger chance of such accident then, IMO.) The wx hist data was not available for this incident yet to check for such power issue ... possibly in addition to that definite 'grabbing' effect of "soft ground".

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GBMK, a Cessna 172I aircraft registered to Durham Flight Centre was on a rental flight from
Oshawa Executive Airport (CYOO), ON to Kawartha Lakes (CNF4), ON with only 1 pilot onboard.
While on approach for a touch and go into CNF4 runway 31, the pilot experienced strong
crosswind and limited the flap deployment to 20 degrees and landed on the center of the runway
with the left wheel touching first. As the aircraft slowed down, the flaps were being retracted in
preparation for takeoff when a gust of wind from the left pushed the aircraft toward the right edge of
the runway. Subsequently, the right wheel rolled on the soft grass pulling the aircraft further to the
right. As the right wheel dug into the soft grass, the aircraft flipped on its nose where it came to
rest. The aircraft sustained substantial damages to both wings, propeller, engine and cowlings.
Airport authority estimated to wind to be 220 degrees magnetic at 10 knots gusting to 15 knots at
the time of the occurrence. The pilot was not injured.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”