Air Sprint Questions

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ASPilotsUnited
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Air Sprint Questions

Post by ASPilotsUnited »

So...company-sponsored representation. Where have I seen that before?

Not company sponsored, just a few of us with a little common decency who enjoy where we work.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ASPilotsUnited wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:59 am Not company sponsored, just a few of us with a little common decency who enjoy where we work.
I feel there's a story there?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Nav99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nav99 »

I have a valid ICAO ATP & FAA ATP
Current on B737NG/MAX & flying as a FO for an airline Asia.
My TT is 5000hrs.
I have 3000 hrs on B737NG/MAX & 1800 hrs om MD-83

Permanent Canadian Resident.
I am scheduling myself for FAAA exam to convert my FAA ATP to TCCA ATP
I have B1 USA visa.

What are the odds of getting at least an interview call.
Thanks

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Why would you want one?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Nav99 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:56 am I have a valid ICAO ATP & FAA ATP
My TT is 5000hrs.

I have B1 USA visa.

Thanks
You've gotta be trolling us that you would choose Canadian aviation to plant your roots with a US Visa and FAA ATP.

Honestly.

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:07 am
My TT is 5000hrs.

I have B1 USA visa.

Thanks
You've gotta be trolling us that you would choose Canadian aviation to plant your roots with a US Visa and FAA ATP.

Honestly.
You literally need to waste only 1 minute of your life to google what a B1 Visa is before making an un(informed) comment

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

CXALE wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:07 am
My TT is 5000hrs.

I have B1 USA visa.

Thanks

Honestly.
You literally need to waste only 1 minute of your life to google what a B1 Visa is before making an un(informed) comment
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. Have no idea why he would even list that as part of what he has to bring to the table. I blitzed through it and only read U.S visa as the ability to live and work there - not a regular entrance visa for business travellers.

My comment still stands with U.S ATP, go somewhere else.

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Hey Matt!

Thanks again for all your hard work in providing a very transparent view of Air Sprint. It’s a refreshing change of pace from most operators. I have just a few small questions:

1. If you had someone apply with 3800 hours, Jet time, and PC12 turbine PIC, would they start higher up on the FO payscale? I think it would be tough for someone to start at 55k, especially considering they have jet time and would be so close to the DEC mins.

2. Assuming adequate performance, how long would it take for someone to upgrade if they were hired with the above hours?

3. Is the upgrade criteria different for FO’s already at the company? Or does everyone require 4500 hours for upgrade?

4. Are you still actively recruiting FO’s or Captains? I see the ad on your website, but all of the ads on AvCanada and PCC have been taken down.

Thanks a bunch!

UndisputedTruth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UndisputedTruth »

Dronepiper wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:54 pm Hey Matt!

Thanks again for all your hard work in providing a very transparent view of Air Sprint. It’s a refreshing change of pace from most operators. I have just a few small questions:
🙄🤦‍♂️

1. If you had someone apply with 3800 hours, Jet time, and PC12 turbine PIC, would they start higher up on the FO payscale? I think it would be tough for someone to start at 55k, especially considering they have jet time and would be so close to the DEC mins.

2. Assuming adequate performance, how long would it take for someone to upgrade if they were hired with the above hours?

3. Is the upgrade criteria different for FO’s already at the company? Or does everyone require 4500 hours for upgrade?

4. Are you still actively recruiting FO’s or Captains? I see the ad on your website, but all of the ads on AvCanada and PCC have been taken down.

Thanks a bunch!

It’s hard for anyone to live on what they’re paying as their wages don’t even keep pace with normal inflation let alone what’s going on now….

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Dronepiper wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:54 pm Hey Matt!

Thanks a bunch!
Hi Dronepiper,

I'll do my best to answer your questions below:

1. Unfortunately there really isn't any room for movement on starting salary. That being said, with the growth we are currently experiencing, upgrades are happening quickly.

2. The most recent candidate to enter Captain indoc with us has been with us for 7 months.

3. Internally the upgrade time can be as low as 3000 hours should that candidate meet specific experience and skill requirements.

4. We are actively recruiting for both CJ FO's and Captains, we'll be posting a new add on here shortly.

Hope that helps!

Matt

10milefinal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 10milefinal »

Hi Matt,

Has hiring resumed for the secondary pilot bases? Specifically YWG?

Thanks

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

10milefinal wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:37 pm Hi Matt,

Has hiring resumed for the secondary pilot bases? Specifically YWG?

Thanks
Hi 10milefinal,

Not as of yet, there is still very limited airline service from many of the secondary bases which we require to position crews to our aircraft. We are hopeful that with governments easing or lifting travel restrictions that we will be able to offer secondary bases again soon.

Kind Regards,
Matt

CharlieTangoBravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CharlieTangoBravo »

OH MY GOD!

First off, I do not represent AirSprint, it's management or its executive in any way. The following post is my own personal opinion and feedback so take it as such.

Being a 15 year employee of AirSprint I rarely come on this site but when a First Officer I flew with recently told me that AirSprint had been taking a bashing lately on this website and after reading the forums myself I remembered why I don't waste my time with these forums.

I've read the pilot career guide forums, the general forums and their comments and replies about AirSprint and it's pathetic. The company tries to post information asked of them by people who have legitimate questions and then it's open season for all of you anonymous toddlers to take your jabs about how unfair and terrible the working conditions are.

If you currently work for AirSprint and you are unhappy, go talk to your boss, if you don't get resolution go talk to their boss, if you still don't get resolution it's probably because whatever is bothering you can't be done at that time and if you still can't live with that, well then...off you go.

If you don't work for AirSprint then why are you wasting your time crapping on a company you know nothing about.

Some of the comments made on here make it sound like the management at AirSprint doesn't care about their employees and that profit is the only thing that matters. Personally I can provide several examples of decisions, actions and behaviours made by management that contradict that point of view, too many to list here but if you want to hear about them you can message me.

Working for AirSprint has it's pros and cons like ANY other flying job. It is unique in many ways from the other types of flying in Canada. Some pilots will love it and some pilots won't.

AirSprint has been around a long time. Longer than any other Canadian fractionals or pseudo fractionals that have popped up and gone by the wayside.

Can they offer the same compensation as the U.S. fractionals? NO. Simply put, its about SCALE. When you see these meaningless comparisons with NetJets (750 aircraft) and Flexjet (110 aircraft) compared with AirSprint's 24 Aircraft its doesn't hold water. If AirSprint had 110 aircraft the company would look very different.

Did AirSprint lay off staff and cut salaries during the pandemic? YES. They also hired back everyone who was laid off as quickly as possible and paid back 90% of the back pay to those who kept the doors open and planes in the air. I have yet to hear of any other aviation company who has done that yet. To those still complaining about that last 10% give it a rest and move on.

Have our pilots seen the most challenging working conditions ever during our period of unprecedented growth? YES. Honestly, I have never worked harder or flown more during the last year then in the last 14 years. Are things getting better? YES. Slower than we would all like, but conditions are getting better.

If you enjoy a challenge in your flying career and being part of something unique you will enjoy AirSprint.

My advice is if you are interviewing with AirSprint ask direct questions about the schedule, compensation and working conditions and if you don't like what you hear don't accept. If you do accept then buckle in for at least two years and be ready for some of the most interesting flying you will ever do, and you will be ten times the professional pilot for it.

I am not a management suck up. You can ask any of the First Officers or management pilots I work with. I've had my differences in the past with management but we have always been able to respectfully work them out.

Respectfully,

Craig Berntzen
Line Pilot
EMB 550 Captain

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

What color is the airsprint koolaid?

UndisputedTruth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UndisputedTruth »

Looks and smells brown

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CharlieTangoBravo wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:13 am
If you currently work for AirSprint and you are unhappy, go talk to your boss, if you don't get resolution go talk to their boss, if you still don't get resolution it's probably because whatever is bothering you can't be done at that time and if you still can't live with that, well then...off you go.
That would be a very valid argument, if it wouldn't cost you up to 45k to leave...
CharlieTangoBravo wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:13 am Are things getting better? YES. Slower than we would all like, but conditions are getting better.
You should thank all the negative posters for that. If a company chooses to only update payscales and other things when the word union falls or when people are unhappy or leaving, the company will have -by definition- a significant group of unhappy pilots. Especially if you bond them so they can't leave.

If you know your salary is going to be adjusted for inflation every year, then you don't have that tension and frustration building up for 5 years waiting for it to actually happen.
CharlieTangoBravo wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:13 am They also hired back everyone who was laid off as quickly as possible
That information seems to be incorrect: viewtopic.php?p=1125413#p1125413
ASPilotsUnited wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:51 am One thing we are set on (as the pilot group) is tying any new scale to the inflationary index. We expect word back on it’s result in the next couple months, again, that’s coming directly from management.
I saw the new pay scale posted. Is it tied to the inflationary index?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Seems like there is a question regarding how budget timing works at AirSprint.

The 2022 budget was finalized on November 15th. Notable was that this was the first quarterly board meeting since Covid began where flying had reached normal levels. It had actually rapidly far surpassed normal levels in the previous month and was continuing to increase. This budget included the largest ever increase in spending, however, we were not 100% set on how to distribute the pilot focused funds as we were experiencing unprecedented flying and were unsure how long it would last (do we focus the funds on short term areas or long term benefits?). As such we targeted April 1st for the date when the pilot focused budget increases took effect (significant amounts were also spent on structural areas that would have a short term impact - extra backup aircraft/sub charters etc).

This budget was approved by the board of directors on November 22nd. On November 30th, we reached out to coordinate 3 pilot dinners in Toronto and Calgary through December to gauge where the funds would be most appreciated and useful. On January 21, we shared the feedback and following additional feedback, sent a survey out to all pilots on February 15th to make sure we got it correct. On March 10th we shared the final results with everyone with implementation on April 1st.

Regarding the inflation comment, I understand the concern as right now it is a topic of focus everywhere. Two years ago when it was flat it would be the last thing people would want (edit for clarity: a scale linked to inflation that does not increase compared to a system that increases regardless). AirSprint is a 22 year old company and has a track record of continuous improvement. Just looking at the last 6 years when we introduced the Legacy to the fleet, a then first year Captain is making 69.7% more today than 6 years ago (CJ Captain 45.0% more). I understand the theoretical argument regarding inflation, but it simply is not reality with how AirSprint works.

James

Last edited by AirSprint HR on Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

AirSprint HR wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:06 am
Two years ago when it was flat it would be the last thing people would want.
What do you mean last thing “people” would want? Which people? I guarantee it isn’t the pilots.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Dronepiper wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:53 am
AirSprint HR wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:06 am
Two years ago when it was flat it would be the last thing people would want.
What do you mean last thing “people” would want? Which people? I guarantee it isn’t the pilots.

Hahahah gotta love it! Yeah! Last thing people would want is more money. Gotta love the huge disconnect between management and employees.

-"Just throw them another employee appreciation pizza party, that will calm down the plebs for a little longer."

AirSprint HR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprint HR »

Edited the post to clarify that people would not want a scale linked to inflation which did not increase compared to a system that increased regardless of inflation.

James

Return to “Corporate”